'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have not had a lot of time over the last couple of weeks. Spent last weekend conifer trimming and work has been manic.

State of play this morning. The wheel looks great and notice the HUGE taillight.

9%20progress.JPG

Still lots to do:

Waiting for a front wheel seal that I forgot to order so I can fit the front wheel

Fitted the horn and indicator relay. The horn squeeks and the indicator relay doesn't flash. Will get the earths sorted over the weekend.

Can't find the battery box rubber grommets and spacers that I have had for a while so that is a major pain for getting the electrics sorted as the battery has to sit on the cardboard box in the picture at the moment.

The nearside plastic panel needs to be sorted - I may just tidy this and leave it in grey primer.

There is a leak behind the 2 stroke pump but I have a new gasket for it.

The rear mudguard is a bit out of alignment. I had to enlarge the rear fitting holes and it looks like I didn't do this evenly each side. From the rear the mudguard looks twisted. I will try and realign this.

The seat is apart and is in poor shape. I will need to do some form of repair to the base, a bit like Sacha's problem in her thread. I can't get a decent one at the moment. I have spike strips, dacron and a new cover for it so it will be about doing the best bodge until I get time to fix it properly.

Ignore the orange tank, that's the one I use while I work on the bike.

That's about it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rain stopped play for most of the day.

Indicators on and all working now.

The old horn works fine so that is going to to go back on.

Made up a couple of extra earth wires and fitted a double bullet on the earth side of the battery

Realigned the rear mudguard.

Neutral light isn't working now but the switch is earthing properly. I might have blown the blub but haven't checked this yet. Apart from this, all of the electrics are now on and working fine. Getting a good 6.75 volts feed to the battery at idle.

The back looks like a good old 70's stylie trails bike now.

10%20progress.JPG

....should cover the fat arse well enough :D

Cheeky B**stard.

I didn't know I said Kev could ride it!

Update,

Decided I really need to get on with this if it is going to Squires.

I thought the electrics were done, but I was wrong.

Neutral light wasn't working - just the bulb so changed that.

Still sorting the headlight and clock illumination - I will post a separate thread re: RD400 headlights later.

Went to put the front sprocket on - the lock washer was wrong. Sorted now so that is on.

Front wheel plate assembled and front wheel on.

Went to fit the new front brake cable but they sent me a clutch cable.

Gave the new chain a good dose of chain lube. went to fit it and it is too long; by 4 links.

chain.JPG

So I either have to buy a chain splitter or get the right size chain. All the ones on ebay seem to be 104 links but the Suzuki workshop manual says 100 links!

So 4 hours later and the front wheel and the front sprocket are on! Not a good day.

Oh yeh, put the side stand on.

The bike looks like this at the moment.

11%20progress.JPG

Your bike is looking fantastic,

In a pinch you can grind off the link and shorten the chain without a splitter. I have one but before I had one

I always did it this way grind down the peened pin flush with the load plate lay the chain on a board and with a flat chisel knock off the

load plate. Clean up any burs and slid out the link. You not going to use the 4 links so O well if they get messed up

Cheers. It is still a bit rough in parts but much better then when I brought it.

I was looking to grind down the peened part if I took the links out as it is 525 chain. I will probably get another chain now. A bit gutted because I am close to getting it ridable (around the garden at least). Just hoping that I don't have to mess with the carb settings or it need a new clutch. I won't have a chance to give it a good shakedown before Squires, assuming It gets finished.

A no biggie you have lots of spare clutch parts from the other motor just mix and mach untill you find good stuff if need be.

And the carb can always be set a bit rich to startoff just throw a couple of spare plugs in your pocket and set it up along the way.

If that chain was the only thing from stoping me from riding the grinder would be out in flash gordon style assuming you have a removable master link or is it suposed to have a 520?

I hate when someone sends the wrong part lucky for me the boys 10 min down the road from me are great about double checking all orders. They deal in bikes and boats I needed a water pump seal kit for my 1967 mercury 65hp boat motor and they found it and got it right the first time in 2 days.

Anyway good luck I'm sure you will make it to Squires your so close to being done a couple of late nights should do the trick.been there done that.

Cheers. Some good advice.

The chain is a 525 as standard and does have a split link so off in a flash (Gordon). I could jump in the car and get a new one today but will order one via the post. When I said ridable, that would be without a seat and I haven't put the footrests back on yet. It is nowhere near roadworthy yet.

I know that we in the UK are lucky in that respect that we live on a small island so nowhere is too far to go to get something. I can drive anywhere in the country in less than a day. It does seem that all the good parts are your side of the pond and I have ordered stuff from Canada before but it takes forever to arrive here.

sheesh, its not even mint.

True Kev.

Mine is still "work in progress". Still a lot to do and I really need to get it MOT'ed by next weeked if it is going to make Squires.

How it stands today:

13 progress.JPG

14 progress.JPG

12 progress.JPG

your grass needs feeding, :madflame:

It has had about £100 worth of seed and stuff on it. It went all moss'ie and I have got rid of that but it isnt in the best condition I must admit.

As for the bike! Still waiting for parts from the UK, the US and Thailand. Some spraying of the panels, the seat needs repairing, base sprayed and putting togther. Insurance (The model doesn't even show up on comparison sites), MOT and TAX. Then a shakedown. Less than 2 weeks.

It is going to be tight so hopefully no rain to stop play!!

Looks nice! :thumb:

Insurance (The model doesn't even show up on comparison sites)

I had similar problems with my recently acquired DT400, most insurance companies didn't recognise the bike, including Carol Nash who were one of the first to get into classic bike cover.

I found that www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk/ will provide fully comp cover on the DT for a value of £3K for £64 which I thought pretty reasonable given I haven't been riding for a good few years and have no bike NCB.

They get some mixed reviews on line, but then so do most insurance companies.

BTW, great resoration job on your TS!