'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3551 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye dirty" i"v been at this stage before, before,,, its great fun soarsing all the parts, just dont look at the cost,,, :eusa_doh:

Aye dirty" i"v been at this stage before, before,,, its great fun soarsing all the parts, just dont look at the cost,,, :eusa_doh:

I have a scary Excel spreadsheet. Too big. :bighug: and the bike still looks like a pile of poo!

Still lots I cant find so I have changed tack a bit. The carb is a bit of a mismatch. All stripped and cleaned and I have ordered what I hope is a kit for it. I am struggling to find an outlet pipe (airbox to carb) as I think that the carb is from a later TS (Mikuni 305 40 if anyone has any info on it??). I have ordered one from a slightly different TS and will see if if fits when it arrives. I ordered a Ramair foam filter just in case I can't get the parts to connect. Because of this I have decided to throw one of my spare, untested, engines into the bike to set the carb up - I don't want to ruin a NOS barrel!! I haven't stripped this engine, The compression is great and viewing the piston throw the exhaust hole shows the piston and rings to be fantastically clean. I have just drained the oil and it was like new. I am hoping that the seals and bearings are all good. It will be interesting trying to fault find if it doesn't run well. But if I can get it running OK then I will leave it in for the season.

oldenginepiston.JPG

oldengineinframe.JPG

I stopped the excel spread sheet thing when the wife started asking questions.

I don't like lying so buried my head in the sand instead!

I am lucky in that respect Drewps. My partner/significant other (too old for a girlfriend) isn't a biker but is very supportive.

I am a bit worried at the moment though as I have about another 20 packages on their way.

One of my spare engines, crap tank, old exhaust, old shocks.

New jets in carb and a ramair filter while I try and get an outlet hose.

Excuse the garden, I am doing some ground works for the workshop so it is messy.

TS startup

If the link does not work for you, it is on my video wall LINKY

Aye up Newme" she sounds a good un" :yeah: , gotta luv the simplicity of a two-stroke engine eh,,,, :thumb:

Good stuff Newman,,,,,

Keep at her mate, She will be togeather soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's update.

I have been spraying parts over the last few day's. Some engine covers and some other bits.

New sprocket, clutch and kickstart seals. Changed the head and clutch cover and bolted it back with Stainless pan head screws. The bore looks good and no oversize markings on the piston.

Waiting for a call to say my wheels and tyres are ready for collection.

Undecided about using a set of OK forks for the time being as I still cant get them apart. I even ordered the "special socket" for it (20 bl00dy quid) but I need to get a longer extension to get into the forks.

Bolted a few bits on the frame.

Today it is looking like this:

bikeprogress2.jpg

Very nice man! You do awesome work. :)

Thanks Sacha.

It looks better in the photo but providing I can get it bolted together, it passes an MOT (our annual roadworthy certificate), and it gets me to Squires and back then I will be happy. The plan is then to strip it back down again and get it in better shape.

This is how I brought it:

1.jpg

Not as good in the flesh Airhead but Squires is calling it ha ha.

Brill newman" you"l be taggin along with us trailies at the squires ride-out, only two months away,,, :doggy: