'78 Suzuki TS250C project

DirtyDT
This post is 3552 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well a parcel arrived from Germany today (as well as several other ones from the UK).

I found this in it.

cyl1.jpg

cyl2.jpg

The dogs. The barrel still has the protective coating on it and you can see the honing marks. Really happy.

This turned up as well.

rbrakelever.jpg

very nice, I like it when parts turn up, especially NOS ones :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided a while ago, to get the TS on the road I will have to do a little compromising. I have already thrown a lot of cash at the bike and decided that rather than get the bits powdercoated I would rattlecan them. This means that I will be able to divert cash to the other big ticket items I still need. Since I decided this it hasn't stopped raining and has been too cold however, the sun has come out so I made a start.

sprayswingarm.jpg

sprayframe.jpg

I will have to check for runs and any missed bits when they dry out properly but those 2 bits and a couple of other bits took 4 cans of Hammerite. I need to get some more as I am down to one can.

Too late for that Paul. I took the wheels to the re-spoker last Friday. Work he is doing:

Stainless Steel rims x2

Stainless Steel spokes x2

Hub painting in black satin x2

Bearings x4

Seals x3 (one in on the brake plate so I will do tht one)

Rim tape X2

Tubes x2

Tyres x2 - I wanted a mix of trails knobblies but wasn't too fussed about a traditional pattern. Went for Trailwings TW301/302

Like this

TW302.jpg

Newman " this is gonna be some bike, :thumb: cant wait to see it in the flesh,,,,

Cheers John.

It's only ever going to be as good as the worst part of it. Some parts only come up from time to time so these will be later additions. The seat is worse than I thought but I have a plan and you can't even get things like the airbox outlet to the carb anymore. My one is brittle. I have a plan there also. It makes a decent rebuild expensive and difficult.

The project turns into a nightmare on Saturday.

Damaged the tophats getting them into the swingarm.

Chipped the paint off the swingarm.

I didn't have enough of the right length M6 bolts to start reassembly

And the shocks that my fantastic loved one brought me for Christmas for the bike don't fit. The mounting holes are too small for the frame and swingarm mountings.

Counted to 10.

Still counting to 10!!!!!!!

The old ones are seized in and I can't drift them out. I sent an email to the seller - Quite a well named seller on ebay - after a few emails back and forth he has agreed to send me out the bush sets that seemed to be missing from the original box. I will have to see whet arrives and go from there.

The swing arm in on but I will rip it off again and see if I need new tophats. I have ordered some 12mm threaded rod, washers and nuts. Just in case I need to press new ones in.

when you say you damaged the tophats, were they peened over?

just get a local engineering firm to ream them out. I had to with the first lot of bronze bushes, the second lot i used the threaded bar.

Hi Drewps,

They are made of some kind of weird plastic. It it fractures, it breaks off, not in a snap kind of way but like a hard biscuit. It is hard to explain. They are the same as the ones in the NOS swingarm so original spec. I will see what they look like when I rip the swingarm off but if they will last a little while then I will leave them in and change them when I get the frame powdercoated next year. I only expect to get a few runs out of the bike this year and am really pushing to get it in some kind of order for Squires. Still a lot to do!!!!

Like a soft Bakelite. These are them LINKY

I know what you mean, the Yams have them too.

I'd go bronze/oiltight as they are what should have been fitted in the first place.

I see they are the same as the GT750

http://www.pinkpossum.com/GT750/phattrakka2/p4aswinger.htm

might be an alternative

Yep. Same as the kettle.

That is a very interesting solution. Cheers.

your welcome :)

cheapest i've seen

http://www.bearing-king.co.uk/bearing/tla-1412-z-iko/5618

£2.83 + vat and P+P each

I will have a measure up and see what I can do.

I have the rest of this week off work on A/L so I have been having a sort out and dry fitting some stuff whilst some more stuff is delivered.

I did intend to get the forks off to the hard chromers tomorrow but this will have to wait a while as neither set wants to come apart. I have ordered the damper holder socket so I will tackle them when this arrives.

Just got the wiring together.

What I took off - notice the use of blue wiring connectors!!!!

old%20wiring.JPG

What I am going to put on

NOS%20wiring.JPG