performance?

danzley0
This post is 4788 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i am looking to get more power

acceleration/top speed

im on a virago 125 but max out at 60 altho it does kill YBR's so im ok with that

just that need for speed is always there

does anyone know any cheap/free upgrade tips?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Think your doing well to be pushing 60mph, but someone may be along to correct me :blink:

U shouldnt toy with carb mate...may e u could consider number of teeth changes in sprockets?...

to be honest with you m8 your getting the most out of your engine! the xv 125 virago v twin engine has a week crank so you dont want to thrash it (trust me iv blown 3 engines and replaced a crank in one <_< )

the only way your going to satisfy your need for speed is to get a different bike.

you could do an engine change for something with a bit more strength and power (like a cbr 125 engine) but its allot of work and if you do it all yourself your looking at about £1000

so would be cheaper to get a different bike.

but a sprocket change would help (a little.....and i mean a little!), you can get them at wemoto.com if you get more teeth then it improves top end speed but takes away a bit of acceleration, and if you get one with less teeth you get better acceleration but a drop in top speed.

sorry to burst your bubble but the engine just cant take it.

4 solutions to getting more speed. I could give you a tow on the 12th :lol:

Strap a turbo on it.

Nitrous kit.

Nitromethane fuel mix.

Bank loan.

I wouldn't recommend any, especially the last one.

lol dont worry the last 1 isnt even a possibility ;) i have no job at the minute

a nos kit would be a good idea if i could afford it

i dont know what a nitromethane fuel mix is ;)

and a turbo would cost alot

i dont know what a nitromethane fuel mix is ;)

Just a higher octane fuel mix, impractical unless you are doing a short run.

There is a thread here LINKY with a link to a French firm that sell a kit of carb bits and a different sprocket. I would not recommend drilling jets BTW. Since you have a custom set of pipes on it, it does seem practical to look at a re-jet. Never owned a Virago but changing the gearing and re-jetting could be a cheaper, effective, option.

Ahem......

I wasn't going to get involved in this thread as performance is not a word I'd associate with XV/XVS125's, but he following statement astonished me enough to get off the bench and into the game......

Just a higher octane fuel mix, impractical unless you are doing a short run.

Nitromethane is not 'Just a higher octane fuel mix'!

It is a race fuel, commonly used in Top Fuel Drag racing to propel cars to 300+ MPH in 4 -5 seconds over a measued quarter mile. Think about that.... Standing still, to 300+mph in 4 to 5 seconds, and 0 to 100mph in under 1 second!

Watch this

Nitromethane produces 10 times the power of regular petrol based race fuel, but is highly corrosive and when burning nitromethane the cars exhausts emit Nitric acid, so driver and crew are required to wear breathing equipment when in close proximity to the engine. This fuel is so corrosive that the engines are stripped and rebuilt every quarter mile pass and they estimate £600 of nitromethane is burnt on every quarter mile pass. They start the car on normal race fuel then on the line the driver switches to Nitromethane, you can hear the engine note change when he does it, it goes from snarling beast to pure evil!

They also use it in bikes......how about 197mph in 6.9 seconds

If you've never experienced Top fuel drag racing, get yourself to Santa pod when the fuellers are running. You'l not be able to hear yourself think, the ground will shake and you'll not believe what you see!

Just a higher octane fuel mix......that really doesn't do it justice.

None of them were serious options. Nitromethane, it's just an alternative fuel ;) and you would be hard pressed to find it at the pumps at your local Shell garage.

Danzley0 have a look at my post about sprocket and jets. This is your best, cheapest, option. You have the pipes so alter the air filter, re jet the carb and change the rear sprocket to match the pipes. Use the best octane fuel you can get at the pumps. This should give you a little boost.

I had to laugh at the quote and the link. I didn't think shorts and a T shirt were really protective.

Well not to ce_icon.jpg standards anyway :lol:

Nitromethane produces 10 times the power of regular petrol based race fuel, but is highly corrosive and when burning nitromethane the cars exhausts emit Nitric acid, so driver and crew are required to wear breathing equipment when in close proximity to the engine.................

Watch this

Bloody tough those Aussies!

use a 97.5 main jet (if yours is smaller) and play with the jet needle to get it spot on! :D

thats what i used with a straight through exhaust. but be warned a bigger bang puts more strain on the engine!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online