nail in rear tyre, repair or discard

neversaydie
This post is 4868 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Nail just off centre in rear tyre on the xv750, are repairs advisable, safe, or is best to replace the tyre?

It looks like there is a british standard for repairs, so I guess it should be acceptable to repair, but I'd like to get some views on it from my fellow riders, given the importance.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If it were me I would bin it, no matter what the repair was like, the tyres are the only point of contact on the road ,

thats my opinion !

If it in the centre like that i would say repair it, unless your are going racing or regularly do trackdays doing 100mph + etc i would imagine it will be fine, if you want ot be sure get the plug as paul says and then as a belt and braces approach get em to stick a tube in

two months ago i had new bridgestone BT-23s fitted at a cost of £285 after going home a total of 8 miles i had a nail centre of my rear tyre,i had it repaired and have done 900 miles on it no problems but as it is a sportsbike i sometimes feel nervous at high speeds maybe on a smallerbike i would not feel that way as i have had many repairs over the years without problems,as i had only done 8 miles on a new tyre had it plugged but i now think i will get a new tyre peace of mind as fzr al says its the only point of contact between you and the road.

Nail just off centre in rear tyre on the xv750, are repairs advisable, safe, or is best to replace the tyre?

It looks like there is a british standard for repairs, so I guess it should be acceptable to repair, but I'd like to get some views on it from my fellow riders, given the importance.

Thanks

Hi just to add to the consensus of opinion,

I had a 900 Diversion with a similar problem on a rear BT020, I went for the repair and had no problems running the tyre.

If a reputable tyre shop will do a repair then I would allow them to do it as they are unlikely to risk the bad rep, when they could sell you a tyre

nayruf

Tyre repair kits are widely available-

http://shop.motorcyclenews.com/Wheels,_Brakes__and__Tyres/Tyre_Repair/Tyre_Repair/Stop_and_Go/Pocket_Tyre_Plugger/Record_1/ListMerchants.aspx

but maybe only offer a 'temp' solution (maybe thats stated in the instructions, I dont know), but have a couple of mates who have used these things as a permanent fix-with no failure, personaly like Oldtimer I'd be constantly thinking about it :huh::blink::o , for the rear tyre on a cruiser I'd use it, and like Mervin says maybe put a tube in there just for luck B)

I would prefer to replace it, but any half decent shop will tell you if it is plug-able... If it isn't they will refuse to do it + if the shop refuses to do it then I guess you need new one.

I plug my own tyres when i get a nail in them,,,,

never had any probs,,,,,,touch wood

If im ridin hard though, it does be in the back on my mind

Thanks for the terrific response chaps

Decision:

Its not a sports bike

Its only just off centre

There dont appear to be any other repairs

Sidewalls in good nick

Front will require replacing in estimated 500 - 1000miles

Going for plugged repair at reputable local supplier

New pair avon venoms when front is replaced