TW 125 non starter

ryder
This post is 4875 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies for any errors in posting.

I have a TW 125, believe it's 2003.

It has been running fine for a few weeks, then one day it just wouldn't start (nothing at all).

Managed to bump start it fine to get it home. On inspection one of the two fuses has blown (20 amp) but with a replacement in there still seems to be no current going to the starter.

The ignition is fairly damaged from an attempted theft, but this has been no problem before.

I turn the ignition on and the lights light up, indicators work etcetera.

Kill switch is off, sidestand up, clutch in but the starter just does not spin.

Any ideas or things to check first? And what could have fused it?.. I notice the headlight bulb has blown too.

Many thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would say that there is a short in the ignition switch, probably caused by the attempted theft. Inside the ignition switch there will be several contacts and at least one of these is either not working or is being shorted out at the wire stage. Often these can be intermittent and can be affected by turning the bars - which cases the short or connection. Change the ignition and any damaged wires as, even if the bike does start, you could have the bike cut out when you need it most.

Many thanks DirtyDT,

The fuse is not shorting out now though, but maybe there is still a false contact in the ignition...

I have a new pattern ignition for an older model of TW. It only has three wires while the one on my bike has four.

I will try and see if I can get this one to work. I'm glad you think it's the ignition too - It's the only thing I could think of.

Any more replies are still welcome.

Thanks again

So I've changed the ignition over for a new one and there is still nothing.

Fuses are all intact, lights work but no starter - not even a click.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online