XS 750 special Tachometer Cable

VisualVales
This post is 4875 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Everyone,

So I bought a project bike off of ebay and managed to get everything running pretty smooth. YAY! I do have a slight problem. I've ordered, and recieved, a new tachometer cable and have no bloody idea where to connect it to the engine. I do have a short video that may help explain my problem that I posted to youtube. If you are interested in checking it out here is the link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gWPgESV3RI

no obligation and no it's nothing sinister, it really is my problem.

I'd appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer.

Thanks.

Brian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You have the right area on the engine. What someone has done has made a blanking cap from an old clutch end cap. This is done as they will weep oil and let in water if left open. You need to remove (unscrew) the knurled part on the engine that you are pointing to and screw the new cable to it. Unfortunately the reason people tend to do this is that the rev counter or the drive gear had broken.

I would undue the knurled cap. start the engine and look into the exposed area. There should be a part inside that spins. If it does then the drive gear on the engine is fine. Turn off the engine and connect the new cable to both the engine and the rev counter. Make sure to route it properly so it does not snag. start the bike up and the rev counter should be working. If not then the rev counter itself is broken so you will need to look for a new one. If the engine drive is not working you may be able to get the parts to fix this by looking HERE LINKY.

You have the right area on the engine. What someone has done has made a blanking cap from an old clutch end cap. This is done as they will weep oil and let in water if left open. You need to remove (unscrew) the knurled part on the engine that you are pointing to and screw the new cable to it. Unfortunately the reason people tend to do this is that the rev counter or the drive gear had broken.

I would undue the knurled cap. start the engine and look into the exposed area. There should be a part inside that spins. If it does then the drive gear on the engine is fine. Turn off the engine and connect the new cable to both the engine and the rev counter. Make sure to route it properly so it does not snag. start the bike up and the rev counter should be working. If not then the rev counter itself is broken so you will need to look for a new one. If the engine drive is not working you may be able to get the parts to fix this by looking HERE LINKY.

Hey thanks a lot Dirty. I appreciate all the info and look into getting this fixed.

cheers!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online