It could happen to anyone!

DirtyDT
This post is 4879 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got up this morning, sun shining, said to the other half that today was going to be a great day. Got ready for work so on with my M/C trousers, I uncover the bike and off with the security whilst I have my last cuppa and ciggie, turn the key and.....................................nothing! I had left the parking light on all night. <_< I don't have any jump leads so I plug in the Optimate to see if I can get a trickle into it and get it started (too old to push the bugger). The Optimate just looks at me, only the green light on and not even doing it's normal flashing lights routine. I guess there was not even enough power to show that it was connected. It is a new battery but I have the old one which is fine unless it gets really cold but couldn't be arsed to change it and then change it back this evening. I have one of those solar chargers that I brought when I had 2 cars and one was rarely used so I used it as a trickle charger. I connected this and the alarm kicked in. Plugged the Optimate in and hurrah, it is charging. So I had to use the car today. Not a happy bunny :( .

But as I said, it could happen to anyone!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I got up this morning, sun shining, said to the other half that today was going to be a great day. Got ready for work so on with my M/C trousers, I uncover the bike and off with the security whilst I have my last cuppa and ciggie, turn the key and.....................................nothing! I had left the parking light on all night. <_< I don't have any jump leads so I plug in the Optimate to see if I can get a trickle into it and get it started (too old to push the bugger). The Optimate just looks at me, only the green light on and not even doing it's normal flashing lights routine. I guess there was not even enough power to show that it was connected. It is a new battery but I have the old one which is fine unless it gets really cold but couldn't be arsed to change it and then change it back this evening. I have one of those solar chargers that I brought when I had 2 cars and one was rarely used so I used it as a trickle charger. I connected this and the alarm kicked in. Plugged the Optimate in and hurrah, it is charging. So I had to use the car today. Not a happy bunny :( .

But as I said, it could happen to anyone!

Er no actually both of my bikes have a kick start, no battery required :P

Er no actually both of my bikes have a kick start, no battery required :P

True :)

I fecked a battery a couple of winters ago leaving the heated grips on (why dont these things bleep when you turn ignition off ? Speedshop ?), anyhoo, stuck it on the charger and it would only hold 6v-some of the plates had been damaged :angry: , expensive lesson that one :(

so I removed the heated grips, I now use 'mini' hot water bottles attached to the back of my gloves with duct tape :farmerjohn:

I fecked a battery a couple of winters ago leaving the heated grips on (why dont these things bleep when you turn ignition off ?)

Why didn't you wire it into a switched live so that they can only work when the ignition itself is switched on? :lol:

That said, I learned from someone else's mistake on that one.

All my fancy doodads are wired into a switched live, for that exact reason - Ignition off, everything off!

Why didn't you wire it into a switched live so that they can only work when the ignition itself is switched on? :lol:

That said, I learned from someone else's mistake on that one.

All my fancy doodads are wired into a switched live, for that exact reason - Ignition off, everything off!

cos I r thick see :farmerjohn:

My heated grips are direct to the battery. I haven't been arsed to put a relay into the ignition. At the moment I have taken the fuse out so they can't be switched on. I doubt if I will get around to it.

You can't beat a good, phallic, tornado to ride through, OG :unsure:

I have just been to Tescos and got the only type of jump leads they had, super duper heavy duty. Difficult to clap to the terminals, but I managed to jump it off the car. Blew a main fuse in the process (replaced) and have just reconnected the Optimate so hopefully it will be charged just in time for the thunder clouds tomorrow.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online