mot - exhaust

bindie
This post is 4883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my xv535 failed for the exhaust being stamped "not for highway use"(i never realised this and it had passed the last 2 yrs at the same garage),after some kind advice from another forum i was informed that a little bit of tape over the offending words would be enough for it to pass.......it did and only got an advisory for being loud

so if anyone has this problem it might help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done for the MOT pass but you were lucky.

If people ride with a "not for road use" or a baffle out exhaust, in my opinion, that is fine. However, before you do this please make sure you know what the penalties are. There could be points and a fine involved. And points do not make prizes! There are very separate regulations for the MOT tester and the Police. Remember the police can also ask that you re MOT the bike, your insurance will be void, you may get points/fine. Covering up the wording, on the wrong day, could be construed as "trying to pervert the course of justice".

It is up to you but just be aware!!!!!

Well done for the MOT pass but you were lucky.

If people ride with a "not for road use" or a baffle out exhaust, in my opinion, that is fine. However, before you do this please make sure you know what the penalties are. There could be points and a fine involved. And points do not make prizes! There are very separate regulations for the MOT tester and the Police. Remember the police can also ask that you re MOT the bike, your insurance will be void, you may get points/fine. Covering up the wording, on the wrong day, could be construed as "trying to pervert the course of justice".

It is up to you but just be aware!!!!!

as soon as the bike was back at my garage the stickers were removed

as soon as the bike was back at my garage the stickers were removed

I just wanted to point out the pitfalls in case someone read the thread and thought it was legal to do this.

With the sticker removed all the police can do you for is; No insurance and (I think) contravening the Road Vehicle Construction and Use Act 1986 (Possibly 2 counts; noise and illegal exhaust). These can accrue fines, points, re MOT or possible vehicle seizure (no insurance). They can not "do" you for no MOT as they will not be able to tell what exhaust you had fitted at MOT time.

Rider beware, but lots of people do it every day and don't have a problem. Get a "Tug" or have an accident and you may be on sticky ground.

unless you get a classic bike, and a peice of plumbers pipe would do, as long as the tester deemed it acceptable noise wise!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online