First Bike

This post is 4878 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. :)

I just registered tonight because I am getting my first bike tomorrow, which is a YBR 125. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as far as maintenance goes and how it should be kept please? The bike is an 09 and has only done 300 miles but there is some small spots of rust around the bottom, which isnt a big deal but it would look better gone. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I was thinking with a wire brush and some touch up paint.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome Ice [ ice baby] . white. You sound like you kno how to cure the rust spots, . as for service, get a manual, & save money on small service items,[ oil change .n/plugs.] leave the brakes to the garage , unles your compident , ;)

Hey

Cheers for the reply. I got a manual and I am going to order a service kit and a new chain (as it is rusty). Is there any kind of maintenence I should do other than services like greasing/waxing parts after its been out? What would you say is the best way to clean it do you think.

Thanks again

Hey all. :)

I just registered tonight because I am getting my first bike tomorrow, which is a YBR 125. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as far as maintenance goes and how it should be kept please? The bike is an 09 and has only done 300 miles but there is some small spots of rust around the bottom, which isnt a big deal but it would look better gone. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I was thinking with a wire brush and some touch up paint.

Cheers

Rusty? After 300 miles. Rust on the bottom of what part? Check the manufacturers warranty in the manual. If its out of warranty, you can buy a rust convertor, then apply your touch up paint, I'd be careful of using a wire brush on paintwork. if the chain's only done 300 miles, you could save some money and take it off and clean/soak it in parrafin, let it completely dry, then apply some chain lube. Just run it through your fingers to make sure that there are no stiff links, and make sure that you fit the spring clip the right way around ie the rounded end points in the direction of chain travel. As far as maintenance goes, follow what it says in the owners manual. Dont burden yourself with unessacery work when you could be out riding.

Welcome, good luck, and enjoy :)

As above but remember to use the correct lubes/paint etc for the right areas. Don't just get a huge tin of WD40 and think it will cure all.

Yeh the guy said he had it out in the rain and never knew to use chain lube so after time it rusted up and there is some small parts of rust at the bottom of the frame as it has had grit salt on it. It will still be under warranty but I don't think they can do much about rust. Does the rust converter work well? I will give that a shot but its pretty caked in rust and a new one with sprockets is only 25 pound. Thanks neversaydie, was some useful information.

Hey DirtyDT, cheers for the input. What kind of lubes should I use? I was going to use WD40 for the chrome parts and just use sand paper for the rust on the frame. Do you know if there is anywhere to get the yamaha's own paint?

Thanks again for the help.

All i can say (and this is experiance gained from a 1989 DT50... which i owned last year and miss dearly) is spray a rag with WD40, wipe the chain off every week and spray it with a chain lubricant (these can be sourced at any motorcycle shop), drop the oil every 5000 miles and change the filters, check tyre ressure and condition whenever you ride, if something is wrong or it is leaking follow it up, ask questions and get it sorted

as for rust, try using a wire brush with soft BRASS bristles to scrub it off before polishing the metal with the relevant metal cleaner

Yeh the guy said he had it out in the rain and never knew to use chain lube so after time it rusted up and there is some small parts of rust at the bottom of the frame as it has had grit salt on it. It will still be under warranty but I don't think they can do much about rust. Does the rust converter work well? I will give that a shot but its pretty caked in rust and a new one with sprockets is only 25 pound. Thanks neversaydie, was some useful information.

Hey DirtyDT, cheers for the input. What kind of lubes should I use? I was going to use WD40 for the chrome parts and just use sand paper for the rust on the frame. Do you know if there is anywhere to get the yamaha's own paint?

Thanks again for the help.

for the rust, if its just the frame (black?) I'd sand it clean, a touch of rust convertor, then brush on some plain finish hammerite, a couple if coats.

RS Paints website for matching up bike paints.

As I said before with the chain. Its something you will have to do on a fairly regular basis with chain driven bikes, so get into the routine now, early on.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online