F'ckin clutch

Airhead
This post is 4891 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Put some new friction plates in the DTMX today and whilst doing it I discovered some backlash between the basket and drive gear. It could have been developing for ages for all I know. Thing is it's pecking my head now because I was going to the Blackpool triples club rally on it. I have a dog rough engine at work but it's not stripped and I wouldnt expect much judging from the overall condition of it, not sure I even have the time to strip and change it even if it is good. ...do I use it...fully loaded over belmont hill...decisions decisions. :unsure:

EDIT

Come to think of it i'm pretty sure the rough spare engine is a later model and the clutch has a different part number :(

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a motor under my bench paul, i was going to look at it in the morning for the clutch opperating arm, your welcome to the primary drive/basket if you want it.

What can the differences be, surely as long as you swap basket and primary drive as a set there wont be any issues?

whats the worst that could happen? it shears round?

if you have breakdown cover, ride it till you can have a better look

I have a motor under my bench paul, i was going to look at it in the morning for the clutch opperating arm, your welcome to the primary drive/basket if you want it.

What can the differences be, surely as long as you swap basket and primary drive as a set there wont be any issues?

They are different part numbers, they both have 71 teeth I think but I need an early one, without examining the two I couldnt say why they are different but all engines have the same primary drive pinion.

whats the worst that could happen? it shears round?

if you have breakdown cover, ride it till you can have a better look

I'm erring on the side of that one Drewpy, but if it goes it will be a harder job to undo the centre nut?

Paul panic ye not this is a cluthc stripped out all that happens is the rubbers wear/shrink over time here is a pic.

I asked Writebike once how much play is too much, his reply was as long as it is not spoiling your enjoyment of the bike there isno problem,it will just get sloppier not go completely

DSCF0633a.jpg?t=1304199286

Yes Paul that is an RD one but i hope yours is the same as you say, I stripped that one too see how it went together, it stopped me worrying about 1/2" of slack on my 400, I dont know if the DT has the same rubbers in it but Nigel kimber has replacment rubbers, and you can thread the holes and fit bolts with loctite instead of rivets

Yes Paul that is an RD one but i hope yours is the same as you say, I stripped that one too see how it went together, it stopped me worrying about 1/2" of slack on my 400, I dont know if the DT has the same rubbers in it but Nigel kimber has replacment rubbers, and you can thread the holes and fit bolts with loctite instead of rivets

Cheers Merv thats made me feel a lot more at ease with it, I will try to get a replacement first in due course and maybe investigate this one later, theres not too much slack certainly not 1/2 inch.

I doubt you will find a secondhand one much better, I reckon under a 1/2" is nowt too worry about, the one i got too replace that one on the 250 seemed free of play til i fitted it, then i got 1/4" too 1/2" of play, when you find a replacement you may not be able too turn it by hand which will be a good sign, but clamp the smaller cog on the back in a vice then try you will find the play that way,

Ric the big white chief from the RD forum has his locked up solid on his sprint bike and gawd knows what power that produces

You hear that Jason, clamp it in a vise ;):D

No problemo......

You will know just after i do ;)

Blown out on the clutch basket paul, one has a good 5-6mm of slop just with my hand pressure let alone a vice. The other, from an engine with blatantly far less (ab)use was looking good backlash wise but it looks like the engine has dropped onto the basket at some time as one of the 'posts' if you like, that hold the friction plates is mangled.

Better news, the clutch opperating arm from that motor looks to be in real good nick barely any wear at all. According to the engine number (2k4-0122##) its a 79 like yours too.

Remind me of your adress and i'll get it in the post.

Id chance your wee spin on it Paul.

It might be backlashing and annoying but it wont brake and leave ya stranded,,,,youll just be back home with more wear on it.

Later ya can get her all sorted.

Hey cheers Merv, I didnt know how they were constructed, I assumed it was a rigid fix...hope mine's like that. Still I suppose 38000 miles isnt all that bad, thats roughly all the way to Australia and back.

If you are going to change the clutch basket & primary driven gear make sure the primary drive gear has the same letter etched into it .... if you do not everything will work fine but you will have some noise from the primary drive ... but at 38k I would guess this noise will be lost in the overall mechanical noise of the motor

What was that Jim :rolleyes: ...I say what was that?

38k the old girl should be a bit loud (with out a strip) mind you if you strip a girl with 38k on her she is a) thankful & B) loud :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online