Bout to pull all my hair out

SirBieber
This post is 4891 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

YESTURDAY the weather was warm, the bike started right up with the electric start. My only issues were I had electrical problems with the head light (which I had hardwired to the tail) and loose tail light, and my kickstart was giving me tons of resistance, but the bike started fine with the electric start.

TODAY, I went out and bought a new head light, tail light, fuses. I noticed my tail light had loose wiring, fixed that up nice and tight. In my fuse box theres supposed to be 1 20amp (main), and 3 10amps. I noticed the main (far left), and one on the far right was also a 20amp but it said it supposed to be a 10amp so I switched that out for a 10. I was hearing some clicking from the reserve lighting device, so I completely removed it, attached 2 wires together as instructed on some website while leaving 4 other wires in the connector to get the headlight going again once I replaced the bulb. I took off the gastank for 2 minutes to get to wiring. I finally had both tail light and headlight working fine so I put the tank back on. Now the damn thing wont start. Some how the kickstart is a lot easier to kick now but that doesn't do anything.

Gas is good. Cleaned the plugs (they were black at tips but it started fine yesturday), battery is giving out a full charge, the electric start is definitely engaging the engine it just wont start. Talk about frustration!!!

Anyway help would be greatly appreciated (in as simple explanations as possible). I have no idea where to even begin troubleshooting.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bump start,,,,,,,,,,,,get her going and give her a right good thrashing down the road.

Bikes dont like just being started and left ideling, they get all suited up and chocked.

Dont know whats up with your kickstart,,,,,,,sorry

Just gave that a go a couple times. I got some good speed but it just sputtered to a holt each time. Its acting like the kill switch is in the 'off' position in that the engine is engaging but not starting. I noticed all the wiring for the kill switch meets up behind the headlight where I was tinkering but I haven't touched the wiring with kill switch / electric start.

I F***ING LOVE THIS FORUM

So I checked for spark in the plugs. Didnt even know how to do that but got some assistance from you tube. No Spark, and checked voltage coming through the wire, got nothing when I was trying to electric start it.

I followed the wires from the spark plug to a cyclindrical component ( no clue ), and followed that to the fuse box. I figured I just bought a box of fuses I'll just replace all the fuses that I had just replaced. As I was replacing one brand new fuse for another, the tip of the glass fuse just came right off. Prolly Chinese. Anyway, replaced that and immediatlely got it to start. Already went on my first ride of the season but its already getting close to freezing again tonight.

Anyway thanks guys for replying.

Now I'm just curious about one thing. I dont know if this is with all '80 XS650's but I had 4 fuses. Mine went in this order:

Main(20) Sig(10) Head(10) IGN(10). Thats what the previous owner had labeled. The fuse I replaced to get it going was the Sig fuse. Does that make sense or is it just mislabeled. I noticed my horn wasn't working previously and now it does.

I F***ING LOVE THIS FORUM

So I checked for spark in the plugs. Didnt even know how to do that but got some assistance from you tube. No Spark, and checked voltage coming through the wire, got nothing when I was trying to electric start it.

I followed the wires from the spark plug to a cyclindrical component ( no clue ), and followed that to the fuse box. I figured I just bought a box of fuses I'll just replace all the fuses that I had just replaced. As I was replacing one brand new fuse for another, the tip of the glass fuse just came right off. Prolly Chinese. Anyway, replaced that and immediatlely got it to start. Already went on my first ride of the season but its already getting close to freezing again tonight.

Now I'm just curious about one thing. I dont know if this is with all '80 XS650's but I had 4 fuses. Mine went in this order:

Main(20) Sig(10) Head(10) IGN(10). Thats what the previous owner had labeled. The fuse I replaced to get it going was the Sig fuse. Does that make sense or is it just mislabeled. I noticed my horn wasn't working previously and now it does.

i know my fuse panel was screwy like yours.. my headlight worked sometimes.. figured out it was the damn fuse panel causing me troubles.

replaced the whole fuse box via the instructions here

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/16081-xs400-links/

thing is a champ now.

............and immediatlely got it to start. Already went on my first ride of the season but its already getting close to freezing again tonight.

:thumb: great news mate. Cant help with the fuse question, why not buy a used manual from ebay, I couldnt own a bike without having a manual for it. :rolleyes:

:thumb: great news mate. Cant help with the fuse question, why not buy a used manual from ebay, I couldnt own a bike without having a manual for it. :rolleyes:

I have a manual actually. The problem is the previous owner was an airplane mechanic and redid pretty much all the wiring, with a new headlight and voltage regulator that are not stock. He's sort of hand labeled fuses and what not, but its a real hassle troubleshooting things when i get electrical problems. But the bike is golden right now! thanks again, we'll see how long it stays this way

i know my fuse panel was screwy like yours.. my headlight worked sometimes.. figured out it was the damn fuse panel causing me troubles.

replaced the whole fuse box via the instructions here

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/16081-xs400-links/

thing is a champ now.

I would love a new fuse panel. Just today I soldered all the connections and immediately noticed a huge difference in power reaching components. You realize how much things can move around when you start that bike with the fuse box open. viiiiiiiibration

I would love a new fuse panel. Just today I soldered all the connections and immediately noticed a huge difference in power reaching components. You realize how much things can move around when you start that bike with the fuse box open. viiiiiiiibration

New fuse box available from MIKES XS along with just about everything else you may need for a XS650

Mate of mine had a 650 breifly and described it as a whacker plate with wheels, after trying it myself i'd have to agree. :D

Mate of mine had a 650 breifly and described it as a whacker plate with wheels, after trying it myself i'd have to agree. :D

Should be good with the ladies then !!!!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online