My New Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom

Cheeku
This post is 4746 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That looks terrific, coolest looking pipes Ive ever seen on a Dragstar :)

Thanks. The pipes are Vance & Hines Cruzers

Looks amazingly similar to my Mrs's one!!

What a Beauty, one thing though, take the red tag off your keys, it will swing around in the wind and mark the paint (voice of experience speaking!) :angry:

Thanks Leatherat. That Red Tag is actually is a Yamaha Keychain which I picked up along with the bike (Free of course) and its made of soft rubber.

So looks like theres no chance of this marking/scratching that area. The same thing was suggested by the Sales Manager as well when he was going over some other things during the handover. Thanks for the input tho and I'll double check before riding home today.

Really.....listen to me.......you'll be really glad you did in the long run.......soft or not it will mark the paint, and the black plastic cover where the key goes. It's really difficult to ge t good pictures in the dark (it's neary 10pm here in the UK) but have a look at these........

Picture025.jpg

Picture021.jpg

My bike has the Highway Hawk Stainless covers fitted to the ignition key area, can you see the radial marks in the stainless? These were made by a closed cell foam (Soft)key ring. Anything swinging about rapidly & repeatedly will cause this sort of damage. Honestly.....take the key ring off before it marks your new bike.

Really.....listen to me.......you'll be really glad you did in the long run.......soft or not it will mark the paint, and the black plastic cover where the key goes. It's really difficult to ge t good pictures in the dark (it's neary 10pm here in the UK) but have a look at these........

Picture025.jpg

Picture021.jpg

My bike has the Highway Hawk Stainless covers fitted to the ignition key area, can you see the radial marks in the stainless? These were made by a closed cell foam (Soft)key ring. Anything swinging about rapidly & repeatedly will cause this sort of damage. Honestly.....take the key ring off before it marks your new bike.

Like the stainless cover. Keys did the same thing to my 650 custom so I changed the plastic yoke for new (£13 for one side). Wish I'd seen the stainless protector.

Oddly enough, I have a bottle opener, small knife, several other keys and a can opener on my bike keyring... but I don't have any discernible scratches.

Guess I'm just special!! :D

I may consider altering my set-up when I overhaul the bike's cosmetics, though...

Yes, well as we have come to find.......you're a special little boy! :lol::lol::lol:

I think that you're keyring set up would be OK due to the weight. It's the flick flacking of the lighter tab type keyrings which is the problem. As I said before rapid, repeated flapping is what causes the damage and the weight of all that crap on you're keys won't allow that to happen, however there are circumstances where that stuff will not be a great idea. I stand by the original point though, whether Cheeku takes any heed is up to him, but the damage will happen if he doesn't.

Crap?

That's all useful stuff, I'll have you know.

First off, any biker (and if you've been around MCs at all, every Prospect) should always have a bottle opener instantly to hand!!

Then the tin opener - It's one of the issue types from the old GS ration packs. Any proper soldier should keep one handy, for the same reasons as above!!

Knife - Funny story... It's a mere 1.2" blade, yet it's still classed as an illegal weapon simply because it locks, would you believe! I'm such a rebel :lol:

Course, you can always jimmy out the retaining pins from the lock cylinder. That way you still need the key to start the bike, but can then remove it from the lock and stow it in a pocket or on a retracting keyring-thing while you ride. Toying with that idea myself...