idel rev after a ride

kishan
This post is 4897 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all my idel rev is fine when i first start the bike and riding along but after the engien warms up after a long ride the revs increase and the wheel accelerates by itself,what could be causing this?could the throlle need lubing or adjusting as its too tight?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, i'd suggest your fuel mixture might be off or something. Have a look at the plug and see what colour it is.

Hope this helps.

how would the fuel mixture cause the bike to accelerate by itself once the engine is warmed up? surely its a throttle cable issue e.g needs adjusting?

Sounds like the throttle cable or carb throttle valve (slide) sticking. Check for play in the grip when this happens by gently twisting the throttle on and off to see it there is more cable slack (before anything happens). If so the slider is not returning to its tickover position. Check that the cable hasn't snagged, worn or been squashed. Check that the choke is turning on and off properly. Check the tickover screw is set OK and it is not just running better after a run as the plug is clean and you have adjusted the tickover because it seemed slow at start up. This should be self evident if the idle is OK with the choke off and this happens after a longer run.

I would say cable and or carb slider myself.

how would the fuel mixture cause the bike to accelerate by itself once the engine is warmed up? surely its a throttle cable issue e.g needs adjusting?

I had an issue with my bike (XT 125 R - carbourated) that after a long ride the tickover would stay up high, and ofc since you'll have a centrifugal clutch it will start to engage at the high engine speed. Lean fuel mix can cause the engine to tick-over faster. I just richened out the mixture slightly and I've not had any problems since.

But yes it does make sense to start with the simple stuff first, so check the throttle cable & choke I suppose.