Front fork tube swapping

fuff66uk
This post is 4905 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This is probably a stupid question but i'll ask it anyway.Do front fork tubes on all makes of bikes ie Yamaha,Honda,Kawasaki,Suzuki ect fit into the fork sliders the same? I'm asking because the fork tubes on my virago are very pitted & i have seen them from other makes of bikes much cheaper.I know they need to be the right diameter and length but i don't want to get some from say a honda and find they can't be fitted in my fork lowers.

Cheers guys

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No they dont. Some may be interchangeable but that would be down to research. You can get forks rechromed but it is not cheap. Have a look HERE

That's exactly why i was asking mate,there is no chance i can afford to get them rechromed yet and they are stupid money from breakers,one's on ebay are about as bad as mine

That's exactly why i was asking mate,there is no chance i can afford to get them rechromed yet and they are stupid money from breakers,one's on ebay are about as bad as mine

Unfortunately this is common. They get all the crap from other vehicles thrown at them and come with a chrome finish :blink:. In reality I don't understand why they don't use stainless or come with some kind of teflon finish. They are the kind of thing that you have to see before you buy and unless you can travel all over the country to get a "bargain" then rechroming or being mighty lucky are the only two options. If you are mighty lucky, do the lottery.

I understand your frustration. There is a little pitting on the forks on my XJ, but unfortunately there is the odd bur as well. They ate through new oil seals in two weeks. Looking at the costs and difficulty in fixing the problem, I am wondering if its even worth fixing the bike since it will also need a new chain and sprockets pretty soon. I have had a very glum day pondering the situation. Will contact the breakers tomorrow and arrange to go and see what they have got....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online