finding replacement fuses

RyGuy
This post is 4907 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all!

I recently ran through the electrical on my 78 xs400E with a multimeter, checking to see which component was responsible for the bikes overall lifelessness when i tried to start it or turn it on. I narrowed it down to the fuses (which i would have started with had the previous owner not SWORN they were good). I discovered that the 20A main fuse (glass tube fuses for those of you unaware) was bad as well as one of the 10A fuses for the ignition. So i went out to the nearest auto parts store to grab the fuses i needed, but they didn't have any in the exact size i needed. So i took a chance and drove a ways further to the next parts place and they ALSO had none that were the same size as the ones i pulled from my bike. So i got to wondering, if I find a fuse thats a bit shorter than one of the "unique" fuses from my bike, but with the appropriate amperage, could i use it in my bike?

Thanks in advance!

Ry

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

aye, 25mm glass fuses.

I had to buy a couple of sets off ebay as mine were showing symtoms of fatigue (they blew) this is in a NOS fuse box 5 years old amd soaked in ACF 50!

aye, 25mm glass fuses.

I had to buy a couple of sets off ebay as mine were showing symtoms of fatigue (they blew) this is in a NOS fuse box 5 years old amd soaked in ACF 50!

yikes! :blink:

I finally found a set of 25mm fuses at a local hardware store this afternoon! :) and after putting them in, along with new spark plugs and oil, it started up for the first time since i got it a month ago :D ive come upon a new problem though. It will idle briefly, die, and then it leaks a small about of gas out of the bottom of what looks like an air-intake box (the box behind the removable side covers on the bike) and It does this on both sides of the bike (both boxes). The previous owner said that the carbs needed work so this wasn't unexpected, but with my VERY limited knowledge of motorcycle repair I'm unsure of the next steps to take :(

yikes! :blink:

I finally found a set of 25mm fuses at a local hardware store this afternoon! :) and after putting them in, along with new spark plugs and oil, it started up for the first time since i got it a month ago :D ive come upon a new problem though. It will idle briefly, die, and then it leaks a small about of gas out of the bottom of what looks like an air-intake box (the box behind the removable side covers on the bike) and It does this on both sides of the bike (both boxes). The previous owner said that the carbs needed work so this wasn't unexpected, but with my VERY limited knowledge of motorcycle repair I'm unsure of the next steps to take :(

petrol (gas) is leaking past the float valves. just wear and tear. you can get replacments from get the whole kit and clean the carbs down one at a time!

thanks for the great link! i planned on getting carb kits but didnt know where to get them from. Now i do :D ill post more as i get down and dirty with the carbs.

thanks all!

Ry