Dragstar Classic 650 cc or 1100 cc?

This post is 4727 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. I've had a warm welcome and some sound advice on this members' club since I joined a few days ago, and so I've come back for more. Everyone that responded to my previous post on here has encouraged me - at the ripe old age of 61 - to "go for it" and to buy the Dragstar Classic 650 cc that I've had my eye on since passing my test last summer. Trouble is I've now seen a 2004 Dragstar Classic 1100 cc for a very good price and it's in mint condition. Given that I passed my DAS test on a Kawasaki 500 cc and have since been riding a Daelim Daystar 150 cc every day is the jump in engine size to 1100 cc a completely daft idea? It seems that there is very little in it when it comes to dry weight - another concern of mine - but obviously it's got a lot more power. What would people with a lot of biking experience advise, please? Em

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would stick to the 650. Extra power is very nice but you can scare yourself easily on a 650 and the extra weight well be an issue. The low center of gravity will help but I would pick the 650.

I passed my test at the age of 56 in 2007, I had ridden an XVS125 for 6 months before my test and for 6 months after, I then bought an XVS650 and rode that for 2 1/2 years, at the end of last year I went in to my local dealer to buy a pair of gloves and instead bought an XVS1300, that was an expensive day.

I am glad that I bought and rode the 650, the experience I picked up was invaluable in handling a larger, heavier machine. The 1300 Midnight Star is a fantastic machine but I found the 650 was a pleasure to ride and a part of me wishes I still had the 650, it was excellent for motorway cruising and town riding and always attracted attention. My advice would be to go for the 650 and gain more experience and then look to a larger bike in the future.

The 1100 is indeed a 'large' bike.

However, while the 650 weighs in an 230kg (37 stone) and has 40BHP to shift it, the 1100 is almost 100kg heavier and only has 60BHP. You WILL notice the power difference, but it's not that much extra for all the increased weight.

Additionally, the 1100 has more common faults than the 650, particularly the starter clutch and the oil filter is a BITCH to change. The 1100 will cost you a lot more to look after.

By comparison, the 650 will happily keep pace with an 1100 and is only slightly slower off the mark. You still have enough power to get yourself into (and out of) serious trouble. The 650 falls nicely in between 'Hoolie Bike' and 'Heavyweight Powerhouse', making for a great everyday bike (just look after it) and a comfy long-distance ride. I can personally assure you it copes admirably with the twisties in Kent, Cornwall and Scotland!!

As others have said, with your previous experience I would stick with the 650, it will serve you admirably i'm sure. Get a few years experience in and see if you are still hankering for something bigger after that.

So then when you go and buy the 1100 be sure to let us know :lol:

1100 all the way. This bike just loves to soak up highway miles. Cruises effortlessly up hills and into headwinds. Mine consumes an average 4.5l/100km. The 450 in the stable does the same mileage. <_<

Many thanks, everyone, for your responses. The majority seem to favour starting off on a 650 cc and I'm going to heed that piece of advice, I think, and get a few miles under my belt before I go for anything bigger. Thanks again.

Not that my opinion will sway you much.......but I've got a 650 and if I could have aforded it (which I couldn't), I'd have had the 1100 without question. I've been riding for quite a few years (28yrs to be exact) and I've had some monsters, the 650 is a lovely bike but it is a little sluggish to be honest.