HELP THE AGED

mike1949
This post is 4858 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Up til now I have been printing Google Maps to get me from A to B. I've got to B, but can't seem to be able to get to the final destination. Would a Satnav be better?

If so, which one would be better for a bike?

Do you need earphones for a satnav?

Also, would an old fogey like me understand it?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I like tomtoms.

No.

Yes.

sat_nav_royal_enfield.jpg

Bike ones are expensive. Car ones can be used in a tankbag or look at ram mounts. Go into a big tescos, halfords or currys and have a play. Well worth the cash.

Do you need earphones for a satnav?

No.

Thanks DDT

But with a helmet on, how do you hear directions?

I don't. I set mine to silent and to 2D (3d in the car) and then look at the big red arrow. It gives you plenty of warning as, on mine, it shows the next next maneuver so the arrow points forward and in the top left there will be a symbol like a tun left/right sign or a roundabout with the arrow going to the right (example). I have a tomtom one and people like ram mounts have a plate that holds it and lots of clamp together parts to connect it to virtually anything. Some satnavs have bluetooth so you could go that route but I never bothered. A bike satnav will cost many hundreds so a car one will do both for around a ton put 30 quid for the ram stuff (lots of bits on evilbay).

Don't get me wrong here, but if you have always got to keep looking down at the satnav doesn't that take your eyes off the road?

That's why I asked about earphones, more for verbal directions rather than visual.

not too bad on the bars mike, not so good in a tankbag (much further a look down) I use a 'cheap' tomtom one like DDT, I have a waterproof (untested) holder as they are not waterproof like the true bike ones are.

SatNav_1.jpg

Along with the next manouvers that are shown, they also say how far off that is so you dont have to be constantly checking, also the beauty of a satnav is that if you get the manouver wrong or take a wrong turn, the satnav just recalculates and directs from where you are.

Of course there are other issues such as keeping it charged unless you dont use it for long. I bought a little power pack dead cheap that is connected to my battery

Hey mike1949,,,,,,,,,,,,,i think theres tablets ya can get in the chemest that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Make Ya Younger :D

Is that the help ya want,:unsure: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(topic title)

Only kiddin :D

I too have just got a sat-nav,,,,,,i plan on puttin mine in my tank bag to see how it goes,,,,,but i dont think ill have it there long goin on what people are saying.

Dont know about earphones, think they would be to anoying,,,,,,anyway on mine there is no place to plug in earphones.

If there anything like in the car, then you get used to them really quick, end up only looking at it when you really need to, and then its just a quick glance and your sorted.

Paul,, that holder you have for yours,,, i remember you saying something bout them just before Squires.

Was it a once off offer they were giving the time you got yours, or do they still sell them. If so do ya have a link for them.

Ive a funny fealing it was a one time offer.

Paul,, that holder you have for yours,,, i remember you saying something bout them just before Squires.

Was it a once off offer they were giving the time you got yours, or do they still sell them. If so do ya have a link for them.

Ive a funny fealing it was a one time offer.

This topic Pat

Here

This topic Pat

Here

Thata the one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i see they are discontinued

not ta worry !

Don't get me wrong here, but if you have always got to keep looking down at the satnav doesn't that take your eyes off the road?

That's why I asked about earphones, more for verbal directions rather than visual.

As OG says. There are a few options;

For sound get one with a jack plug and get some helmet ear pads which are speakers in a pad shape that fit in your helmet or, get a bluetooth one and a bluetooth helmet speaker system.

For power either use the satnav internal battery or, use a direct power feed into the battery or, look at a company called "so easy". They produce a battery pack (and bag) that is recharged from a USB socket abd can boost the time you can use a satnav.

For holders look at things like the "held tiny bumbag" which is a satnav sized magnetic tank bag or, just the map pocket of your current tankbag or, something like the "ram mount" sysyem or, the "so easy" bag option.

OG has the enclosed case option. At the moment I have this type of setup HERE Tucked under the fairing.

Thanks everybody for your replies, I will do a bit of research on internet.

The deciding factor for me to get one was I had to go from Chippenham to Bournmouth which took me about 90 minutes, but then took me an hour to get to where I had to go.

Anyway, once again thanks for everybody's input.

Get a TomTom Rider (V2).

It is fully waterproof, is designed for use with gloves, has several bike specific features and comes with everything you need.

It mounts to the bars using a RAM-Mount (included) and can be wired in to be powered from the bike. It also comes with a Cardo Systems Scala kit - This is a little box that mounts to your helmet and has a flat speaker that attaches with Velcro to the lining of your lid. This then links to the SatNav via Bluetooth, so you can hear all the directions, camera warnings etc.

I have one myself.

I love the fact that I don't have to take my eyes off the road.