Oil Change on a 1992YAMAHAXJ600S

kevdawg
This post is 4763 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, My name is Kevin and I had a question.

I bought a 1992 Yamaha XJ 600 and I want to do an oil change on it.

I have never done an oil change on a bike before and I looked all over

the internet on steps how to do it but no luck.

My questions are what tools will I need to remove the filter and where exactly is the

drain plug located. Any help would be appreciated and pictures would be awesome, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Please find someone who can show you how to do this safely. It will seem intimidating the first time but is quite simple. That said, you can mess up by under or over filling the engine or incorrectly tightening the sump plug/oil filter. All of these can cause major (read expensive) problems. Is there a college near you where you can learn to do servicing or a pal with a bike who is competent at mechanics?

Tools are a basic oil filter wrench or strap (they do come in several sizes) and a decent socket and bar. A funnel helps to stop the process being messy.

Yeah, I think I need a new sump plug though. The one on the bottom of the bike is starting to get warn out.

Also, this link says to use 10w40 oil

other sites say use many others, how crucial is the proper oil?

Proper oil is key. Get the correct motorcycle oil for you bike. Check the specks with Yamaha if you have to. Don't be tempted to use car oil, especially if you have a wet clutch, as the anti friction additives could cause your clutch to start slipping.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online