What should I do after my bike was knocked over by reversing vehicle?

TheSaffer
This post is 4687 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Also how enthusiastic are the insurers going to be to pursue the claim as there is nothing in it for them

Actually there is an advantage to the insurance company. If Saffer files a claim and pays his deductible then his insurance company is out 1500 less Saffers deductible of 400 ie 1100.

If the woman who hit Saffer's bike deals with a different insurance company then Saffers insurance company will recover the entire 1500 repair bill from her company.

If Saffer does not file a claim it costs him 1500 (or more depending on hidden damages).

If Saffer files the claim it costs him 400 plus a possible future premium increase for the accident. Based on my personal experience in Canada, a first claim does not always result in the loss of any discounts. However, a second claim always does. Saffer should discuss the impact of a first claim where he can not identify the person who hit his bike.

So....unless I have missed something here, it is in Saffer's interest to bite the bullet and file the claim. In a worste case senario he saves 1100 but has a slight premium increase pd over the next several yrs.

It is in the insurance company's interest to try to save 1500(or more) by getting the other party's insurer to reimburse them. This is now feasible due to the fact there is a witness.

So as a Chartered Accountant my advice to Saffer is to file the claim.

However, once again...perhaps I have missed something in Dirty DT's comment. I do agree with DT that you do not want your insurance company to be able to state you filed a fraudulant claim.

Rocky

ps. Saffer, I will be forwarding an invoice for 1500 for professional advice. :D

We do not accept cheques or greens stamps. Cash is fine.

Rocky

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If Saffer files the claim it costs him 400 plus a possible future premium increase for the accident. Based on my personal experience in Canada, a first claim does not always result in the loss of any discounts. However, a second claim always does. Saffer should discuss the impact of a first claim where he can not identify the person who hit his bike.

Were not so lucky here, unless you have it as part of your policy somehow. Indicated by a 'protected bonus' or some other way of putting it, the insurance will rip your arse off next time. Even if it is not your fault and the 'other side' pays out totally negating ALL losses. We get loaded here in the UK due to being proven to be a risk of accidents happening to you. Can cost you 60% if your really unlucky and all your no claims goes up in smoke.

Hey Cynic

Like I said I probably missed something....That is a brutal insurance system. I will no longer complain about the process on this side of the pond.

Rocky

Saffer....invoice cancelled. :(

Rocky

Actually there is an advantage to the insurance company. If Saffer files a claim and pays his deductible then his insurance company is out 1500 less Saffers deductible of 400 ie 1100.

Only assuming that he has fully comprehensive insurance. Otherwise he gets nothing apart from losing his no claims bonus and having to declare an accident.

If the woman who hit Saffer's bike deals with a different insurance company then Saffers insurance company will recover the entire 1500 repair bill from her company.

Not accurate as he was not under risk from that insurer therefore they can not pursue a claim that they have no risk on.

If Saffer does not file a claim it costs him 1500 (or more depending on hidden damages).

Agreed, although he may save some on the excess (deductible) and does not have to declare an accident nor lose his No claim bonus which will affect the next few years premiums.

It is a pretty bad situation especially as his renewal is due soon. With a witness I would just claim. The bonus on this is that the woman already seems to have a bad accident record so another claim may mean that she stops driving a big car and goes back to something she can handle. She obviously can not feel or hear (alarm) that she hit something. She may hit a biker on the move next and kill them.

Hi again,

I have now given her a written request for her Insurance details and I have given her till Monday the 25th to respond.

Then I was thinking to use one of the accident management companies I found on the internet. They claim to handle cases like this and it won't affect my no claims bonus as I am not filing a claim with my insurance company. I still have to declare that I was involved in an accident when I am renewing my policy though.

Have anyone here had any experience with one of these accident management companies?

PS: to answer a previous post: yes I have comprehensive cover

Hi again,

I have now given her a written request for her Insurance details and I have given her till Monday the 25th to respond.

Then I was thinking to use one of the accident management companies I found on the internet. They claim to handle cases like this and it won't affect my no claims bonus as I am not filing a claim with my insurance company. I still have to declare that I was involved in an accident when I am renewing my policy though.

Have anyone here had any experience with one of these accident management companies?

PS: to answer a previous post: yes I have comprehensive cover

Be very careful of these 'accident management' companies. They ensure in the contracts they offer that someone will pay. If it all goes pear shaped it WILL be you.

I would steer clear. If you have union membership (i am NUT for example [yes they generally are a bunch of commies]), they may offer free general purpose legal advice - NUT is something like 1 hour free with a solicitor.

.............I would steer clear. If you have union membership (i am NUT for example [yes they generally are a bunch of commies]), they may offer free general purpose legal advice - NUT is something like 1 hour free with a solicitor.

I spoke to the woman up the road who is always being caught soliciting. She said she knew nothing about insurance. She also would not give me a hour for free.

If you have fully comp then it is in the insurers interest to get any claim cash back from her insurer, assuming they are not the same underwriter.

• 2 months later...

Hi again,

Just an update... and thanks for all the replies.

I have yet had no success filing a claim.

I have emailed three times now to 1st Central (her insurance company) and I am yet to receive a reply. I will now hand it to my solicitor to see what he can do.

I have a recording of the conversation that I had with the woman when I first told her that someone told me she knocked it over. Is it even legal to use this as evidence?

Cheers

I have a recording of the conversation that I had with the woman when I first told her that someone told me she knocked it over. Is it even legal to use this as evidence?

I'm unsure if you can secretly record people (though journalists seem to do it all the time) - your solicitor will tell you... You may find if it is used as evidence she will claim she felt intimidated and just said it to get you to go away??

Did you ever tell your insurance company of the incident at the time of the accident? If so I'd ask them to pursue it as it has been a while now and you're getting no where. Either way a solicitor or insurance company will get a response from her insurance company.

Unfortunately we live in a world where people will deny everything - I was once knocked off my mountain bike by a taxi driver which snapped the frame on my bike. Whilst he stopped to remove my bike from his bumper he never gave me his insurance details and later on the taxi firm denied he worked for them. I informed the police and a solicitor and thanks to witnesses got my bike fixed, though the taxi driver claimed I drove into him and had no lights on my bike, both of which were utter lies.

I appreciate you hoped that good will would have seen you right but I bet her boyfriend came home and said something along the lines of deny it as he can't prove it. Hopefully the solicitor/insurance company will be able to get some of the costs back for you.

Good luck in pursing the claim

Graham

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online