Getting close to re-insurance time

DirtyDT
This post is 4750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Got a text earlier from Swinton's. "My SV insurance is due for renewal in 30 day's". I am with Swinton for the SV and it is due to expire on 5 May.

With a little time on my hands, a full hot cuppa to one side and a cold kebab left over from tea on my right, I balance the laptop to see what delights insurers can offer me for the SV.

Off to Interweb land I go as I shovel a mouthful of cold onions and red cabbage into my rather expansive mouth. I log on to my regular comparison site. Well when I say "regular" it is the one I use if I am thinking about buying a bike and want to ball park the insurance liability. I rework my old quote as it has saved my details and I come across what could have been a major boo boo. Under "physical security" I have ticked I use an Oxford Hardcore chain. Now there is an element of truth in this as every night the SV is attached to it's ground anchor by the Oxford Hardcore. The problem is that I also use an Oxford Nemesis and only use the Nemesis when I go out or to work. So if the bike is stolen when I am out I will, potentially, not be covered. I obviously need to correct this on my quote for next year however, I can't find the Oxford Nemesis on the list of options. I change this to "None". The other thing that I need to tinker with on the quote are the modifications. I tick heated grips, engine crash bars (Crash bobbins are fitted) and exhaust. Two of the modifications should make no difference to the insurance. This leaves the exhaust. Now I do have a rather nice Scorpion Titanium Blue flame can fitted. Although this is quite expensive it is cheaper than the Suzuki original from the main stealer. It does give a little more power. Anyway with all this done I push the button to make me happy - Well not make me happy, as that is the strap line for a different insurance company - but to disclose the prices.

While the quotes are being generated I finish off the kebab that I have been devouring and pick the bits that have dropped from the keyboard. Because of the modifications the number of quotes is really small and a lot come back that they can't quote for modifications. Ironically this includes Swintons who are presently insuring my SV with all the modifications disclosed. At this point I enter cynical mode and think about the people who will get insurance then call the company for the mods to go on to be charged a very nice admin fee for no additional risk.

I decide to play so I go for another quote with no modifications just to see what the difference is. I get a much better quantity of quotes who have electronically decided that because I do not have any bike modifications I must be a better person and am no longer an Axe murderer (if only they knew). What is apparent is that it makes no difference how many quotes you get back, it is about the cost and policy conditions.

What have I learned from all this?

Check all the details you are entering so give yourself time to get a quote.

Make sure you have all the relevant information to hand.

Altering insurance details after you are insured leaves you open to being charged £35 for an amendment.

Having heated grips makes you an axe murderer.

Most importantly, don't eat a kebab when using a laptop.

Anyway how much do they want? Without going into the full picture the basic risk is based on a SV650 '02 worth about £1700 to an old bloke in Leicestershire, no claims or convictions, has NCB, parks on his drive and has no locks but has an alarm. 10k miles a year, can carry a pillion, SD&P + commuting, no voluntary excess, fully comprehensive cover.

With modifications - Cheapest quote is £105

No modifications - Cheapest quote is £86

To all the forum younger readers, both quotes are annual amounts, not Monthly payments ;)

I hope you enjoyed my story.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

To add to this fountain of knowledge....

Last year I left my Car insurance until the last few minutes, when I realised I was staying away from home, so was left to accept the banks insurance (who I was already with). I had checked and the Bank were about the third of fourth cheapest. I rang them told them to insure my car, they took the money and I was a relativley happy bunny.

In January I canged my motor, so paid up the £36 'admin' fee..... :huh:

A week later someone mistook my car for a trolly park, run a trolly down the side and promptly buggered off leaving a lovely job for the painters... :angry: So off to the body shop......

OK, so I admit it, I drive a planet killer and I deserve everything I get, but £1200 worth of damage!, no worries Protected Bonus and all. :P

Only,,,,,,,,

During my emergency insurance telephone call, the bnak had changed my excess from the normal £200, to £400........ and that, is how they managed to get the price within everyone else.

So, the moral of the story,

Don't buy a 4x4 and park in a pikey supermarket.

Do insure your car/bike in good time

Check the bloody details!

Check the details,

and don't forget to check the details.

This time round CIA actually beat the online quote from the comparators :D

Under 130quid FC for both bikes, can't complain at that. Although living in the sticks with them both being garaged classics may help.

Carole Nash always do me the best price, despite being reputedly one of the most expensive in the business.

Before renewing mine, price comparison search threw up Swintons at a staggering £30 cheaper. Rang emm up, but during the conversation they were adding on a few quid for this, a tenner for that, etc, told him he was wasting my time as we were soon up to my exisitng cost. Recently added the Virago so its now a dual bike policy, not bad, but £25 admin fee for 2 minutes typing

and how come "the business sector" can remove money from your account in seconds, but take weeks to put it back in?

Old feller, Cheshire, 650 dragstar, 1 years NCD as haven't ridden for 40 years until last year, bike garaged.

Fully comp. and breakdown cover..£110.00 with E-Bike Insurance. These people are the cheapest I found, same ones as last year.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update.

Called Swinton (my present supplier). They took my new details over the phone and wanted £146. They also said that the bike value would have to increase due to the modifications but their cover would be back to original. They didn't see to understand that a Scorpion exhaust is cheaper than an original Suzuki ????. Told then they quoted £105 online so they matched that and I went with them again. A couple of days later a got a renewal letter quoting £127. So covered now from May for the next year.

A quick update.

Called Swinton (my present supplier). They took my new details over the phone and wanted £146. They also said that the bike value would have to increase due to the modifications but their cover would be back to original. They didn't see to understand that a Scorpion exhaust is cheaper than an original Suzuki ????. Told then they quoted £105 online so they matched that and I went with them again. A couple of days later a got a renewal letter quoting £127. So covered now from May for the next year.

So ya payed £105 for the year for the SV ?

Thats not bad eh.

Over here the average comes in round €250. Its dear cause we only have 4 insurance companys to choose from. :(

Northern Ireland is the same set up as ye have.

• Who's Online (See full list)