Progress / Plans / Paint stripper from sainsburys?

LiamDTR
This post is 4870 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right, I'm ready for the insanity to begin!! I have decided to keep the 2 rear side panels, rear one obviously as that's brand new!! and the front mudguard. I have been putting off the paint stripping for the past few weeks as I had no idea what would be good enough for it!! I am unsure of the paint effect I'm going for right now, I want to stick with a similar scheme but with I'm not certain... Metallic Blue flip with white accent? Marble midnight blue with white accent? I'm starting to think Blue to be honest but w/e...

Fortunately I found out that there is pretty much the best paint stripper (£2-£3) in the world available at most super markets!! Fairy Power Spray, watched a couple of vids of it removing paint with ease and it only being left for 20 minutes... So I will be doing that!! prep work will begin on Tuesday and I shall post vids on youtube documenting the progress (Or I'll do a vid when it's complete).

Anyway, I needed 3 screws for my flush looking tail tidy. Fortunately the DIY shop in my home town was closed but the music shop was still open, for the cost of 75p I managed to get 3 of these nuts and bolts! 3mm Diameter with a 25mm length, Perfect fit for the 3mm holes I drilled in the rear fender!

all in all I'm very happy, also I'm having progress with the wiring loom B) couple of quid for the front half!! how good is that?!?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Haha, It's not proper paint stripper mate, just reacts with spray paint and strips it off leaving the plastic in the original condition. I'm doing a test piece before hand anyway mate!!

Will let you know how it goes :P

Interesting this. I was going to have a go at it earlier today but didn't get time to increase Tesco's profits. I will get some in the week and see what it does.

Cheers.

Dirty, It works well on non Lacquered paint. I've had a couple of days now working with it and I found that it's lame... well on the lacquered bits anyway! The non Lacquered severely half assed bits came off within a 10 minutes, red paint everywhere... however the base coat was coated rather well with Lacquer... retards who couldn't spray GRRRRRR!! I did have to sand those bits down quite severely but I have some rather good paint on route so will see it looks!!

In short, if it's got a clear coat don't bother just do it the normal way!

Thanks for the update. I will probably still have a go as I have a couple of parts that have rattle can finishes and no lacquer by the looks of things.

Just to add, Wilkinson's do a much cheaper paint stripper than you will typically pay for nitro-mors and it seems to be the same concoction (cyanoacrylate).

Of course as OG said, never on to be used plastic (there is a funny thread on another forum, out there on'tintanut about such an incident).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online