TZR50 cheap tuning

TZR_Mark
This post is 4303 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Names Mark new to this forum, so firstly i would like to say hello to you all :)

I own a 2004 TZR50 about 50 on the flat depending on the wind direction, fastest is 64 down hill :)

still takes forever to pick up off lights and often bogs down. ive turned up the air mixture screw abit which helps reduce bog but still isnt very responsive. i dont want to change sprockets as this would lose my top end slightly. i was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap ways to make me go faster. I was thinking new reeds and air filter changes...

thanks for reading (Y)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you passed your test, its only supposed to do 30 isnt it

If youre only 16, its usually dead cheap to reach 17, (too young to drink, too young to smoke, mum and dad pay for everything) and when youre 17 you can get a 125, restricted of course :P

yeah id have to agree im afraid... wait till you can get a 125cc then sell the 50cc as a standard bike (you will get more money for it).

at the end of the day a 50cc is just so you can potter about a bit faster than a granny in a mobility scooter.

just save your money and get a 125 you will be chuffed to bits with it!

haha! well yeah it is only supposed to do 30mph so im pretty chuffed with 50 would just like to have a bit more of jump on people riding round busier streets and so on.

However, definately getting a 125 at 17, brothers got a 1991 TZR125 and that makes me wish i was 17 tomorrow :P

ahh patiance is a vertue ....well so they say.

but saying that being on a 50 is a good chance to learn to ride properly! personaly i think there death traps designed to keep the population down... (cough) but yeah dont rush m8 take your time. and do your life savers! its only 1 year (if that!) gives you plenty of time to save up to get the 125 of your dreams! and put your bro to shame! ha ha!

well i dunno i see it as a good oppurtunity to learn the road properly and learn how bikes should be riden on the roads :P and its gona be hard to put my brothers TZR to shame its a proper 2-stroke ;)

as far as i know its getting all the air it can get i can to the air mixture screw up more but then i would be idling aboue 2500rpm :/ i was thinking maybe changing the air filter but ive been told without up jetting the carb i would risk even more bog

is it getting all the air it can get..

would changing the air filter or getting polini filter sponge as opposed to the standard sponge help it get more air? and will this reduce bog? i havent got a clue tbh :P dont really wnat to waste money either

Memories.....

Way back when, when i was annoying the motorists on my 50, a DT50m if it matters. I was lucky and someone had done the groundwork stuff like the pipe, it did only do 30 when i got my hands on it...

Bad horror film laugh later, after reading everything i could find on little 2 strokes and how to make em go i got to the kind of speeds you are (needed my feet on the pillion pegs for +50 though and i was using 60cc.)

I understood that engine totally, from the polishing of the welds inside the pipe and shortening the stinger, to the big (ha suzuki's had a 12) 16mm carb and the subtle tweaks to the ignition to stop detonation. Flowing the intakes all through from the airbox, yes it was faster with it (although it had a few extra holes). Right through the reed block into the cyl.

Even the gearing had been worked out carefully as even the rear sprocket to wheel ratio affects things if you get really anal about it, even the drag from the tyres and running them maybe 5 even 10psi over to get more MPH.

The rambling point is... Your getting 50+ MPH from a moped and that is a lot, if you don't understand how it makes that power( and dicking with the air screw proves that well enough) you really really can make a right balls of it for the sake of half a mile an hour.

Just enjoy what you have and wait for the 125.

Memories.....

The rambling point is... Your getting 50+ MPH from a moped and that is a lot, if you don't understand how it makes that power( and dicking with the air screw proves that well enough) you really really can make a right balls of it for the sake of half a mile an hour.

Just enjoy what you have and wait for the 125.

yamaha garage told me to dickle with the air filter so i did :P

I'd still wait untill I understood it rather than, 'he said do it'. Will he fix it if it eats its self, yep at a cost. Your little 50 is running at or near what its good for. You said you wanted low cost tuning and you have a bike capable of nigh on 65mph, and your grumbling about a bit of low down power.

2 strokes esp little ones dont have low down power, its bogging BECAUSE it will do 60+mph. De tune it to say 45mph flat out and you will have all the bottom end power you will ever want and throttle response that will be razor sharp.

but there is obviously a way to make my little 50 pick up better than it does now as it is completely standard except for de-restriction ofc.

im just trying to learn off others how i can go that bit faster off of the lights, im sure it can be done

but there is obviously a way to make my little 50 pick up better than it does now as it is completely standard except for de-restriction ofc.

im just trying to learn off others how i can go that bit faster off of the lights, im sure it can be done

what do you weigh?

ha ha "its completely standard except for de-restriction".......sais it all lol :lol:

its catch 22 im afraid. if you want to be faster at pull off you need to drop top speed, and if you want more speed you loose acceleration. its the same for all bikes m8.

it can be done but that would mean fookin the engine up to do it. (you have been warned!)

1. stick some No2 (or nitrous oxide) in the fuel tank this will make it fly for about 3 miles then ur engine goes pop.

2. spend about a grand on a custom turbo setup which should last longer till the engine melts

3. get a big bore kit (if there is one for the bike) cost around 300 quid (if you fit it yourself)

4. spend 300 quid on a sports exhaust something like a scorpion can or something and get an extra 5 mph top end and a little bit more at bottom end (you would be able to drag a small child or push that granny in the mobility scooter)

5. wait till ur 17 and get a 125 .....instant power gains!

Iam listening to you all as thats why i made the post, im just trying to learn how I can go that little bit faster like any 16 year old with a 50cc bike.

and yeah you can get big bore kits for around £140 aswell as many other engine parts such as racing clutches and cranks, carbs, exhausts bout £160 for a decent one. but im just wondering if doing little things like changing reed petals or the filter foam/the air filter itself will make any difference.

you know what its like 16 get a 50cc bike think its the best thing youve ever owned then your mates come out with their 70cc bore kits then you realise your 50cc is really just pants

Iam listening to you all as thats why i made the post, im just trying to learn how I can go that little bit faster like any 16 year old with a 50cc bike.

and yeah you can get big bore kits for around £140 aswell as many other engine parts such as racing clutches and cranks, carbs, exhausts bout £160 for a decent one. but im just wondering if doing little things like changing reed petals or the filter foam/the air filter itself will make any difference.

you know what its like 16 get a 50cc bike think its the best thing youve ever owned then your mates come out with their 70cc bore kits then you realise your 50cc is really just pants

I sympathise with wanting to go a little bit quicker, but FFS you have a 65mph moped. That bike is supposed to be capable of something like 32mph flat out with about 2.5 hp. Your well above that changing into 4th.

You are not understanding what we are trying to say here, there are many, many DT125's that cannot hit 65 mph, christ my 175 can't hit 65mph. Your bike is a long way from slow and to improve you really are polishing a pearl, not a turd.

As i have already said, your bike is running a high state of tune now. That will in turn make the bike very sensitive to fuel/air issues which can and will KILL 2 strokes stone expensively dead. With the stock airbox/filter yes you will loose a little bit of power but the engine will be safer for it.

The biggest point though, your expert telling you to fit this that and the other, you do realise that a freeflow filter increaces air speed in the carb and REDUCES torque and would ultimately make your bogging problem worse.

"Iam listening to you all as thats why i made the post, im just trying to learn how I can go that little bit faster like any 16 year old with a 50cc bike."

....you cant....

"and yeah you can get big bore kits for around £140 aswell as many other engine parts such as racing clutches and cranks, carbs, exhausts bout £160 for a decent one. but im just wondering if doing little things like changing reed petals or the filter foam/the air filter itself will make any difference."

....no it wont....

"you know what its like 16 get a 50cc bike think its the best thing youve ever owned then your mates come out with their 70cc bore kits then you realise your 50cc is really just pants"

....yes they are....

as jason has explained ,it appears that your bike has already had the works done to it,

you are already achieving what your looking for,

someone has already spent big bucks on it to make it go like it does,if as you ask ,start doing cheap fixes,it's going to undo all the expence thats gone into it..