Helloooo All - Buying a R6 need help.

Lestat
This post is 4808 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello All

Yes I'm a bike virgin but just about to leave that taboo behind. I've just booked my full test for mid April (sh@&ing it abit). Anyway after I left the test school parting with my hard earn money I drove past a bike shop, and popped inside. As I was wondering around looking at the untamed gleaming beasts I came across a R6. It was on a 57 plate with 2600 miles on it, it was the white and red version however the previous owner had all the red stickers removed and had the side panels sprayed like a Perlesant white. The dealer had it up for £5499 which I being a novice to the world of biking thought, it was a good price. Any how I pushed my luck and got the sales man to reduce it a further £200 so I gave him a deposit.

The thing is that as I was leaving I saw 2 other R6's of the same age but more mileage on the clock, and they where both atleast £300 more. Why might this be?

I asked the dealer and he told me that there is nothing wrong with the bike it's just because the owner has sprayed it and it's not the original colour. The thing is that the bike still look really great!

Am I just getting to paranoid??? :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome.

It may be nothing or it could have been painted to hide some damage. Did you get a vehicle check to see if the bike was registered as damaged? A lot of bikes have minor damage due to being knocked over or dropped at low speed and it costs a fortune to repair this type of damage back to original so people tend to er....................... make a feature of it. Not saying this is the case, but there is a possibility.

Hi and welcome.

It may be nothing or it could have been painted to hide some damage. Did you get a vehicle check to see if the bike was registered as damaged? A lot of bikes have minor damage due to being knocked over or dropped at low speed and it costs a fortune to repair this type of damage back to original so people tend to er....................... make a feature of it. Not saying this is the case, but there is a possibility.

Hi DirtyDT

Well I asked the salesman and he told me that it is a regular customer of theirs and the bike has had no problems nor has it been dropped. The thing was I only got a bit suspect as it seemed to be cheaper than any others I had seen. Plus its my first bike so I don't know much about them.

I will get it checked.

Thanks mate

I would always get a check (Commonly called HPI) and you can do this using a number of Companies like mytextcheck etc, although I would expect the dealer to give you the one they did when they brought the bike (Trade cost is about £3 do one) The check will let you know if there is a problem with a number of categories relating to the bike like a MAJOR accident recorded or outstanding finance, stolen etc. If you have brought from a decent dealer this should be clear for most categories however, if there is a MAJOR accident recorded then the value of the bike will be reduced. I have put the word MAJOR is caps as any small claim or where the repair has been done outside of an insurance claim may not be recorded. This, to me, is the most common reason why people randomly change the bike colour.

The bottom line is, if you are happy with the bike, and it's looks, then there is not a problem, just enjoy and remember next time you are buying.

If there is one thing that will rip the resale of a bike apart its non std paint. It sets off all sorts of alarm bells.

Has it been damaged?

Has it been a race bike?

Is it a stolen recovery that has been fixed with odd panels hence the paint?

Or it could also be that the bloke didn't like the red and wanted some pearl paint. :D

If you like the bike don't fret so long as its straight. B) Just remember when you come to shift it on those are the questions YOU will be asked .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online