Bought XJ600s, okay for 1hour, but AA got me home

Matty Towel
This post is 4936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right fellas

I've had a 1991 XJ600 since 2006 for going to work, done 10000miles a year for last 4 and a bit years, but 20years and 70000 miles is to old for me. I've done nearly all the servicing, including changing an engine, forks, momnshock, balancing carbs, changing valve shims, so I'm not scared of getting my hands dirty, or trying new things. I wanted a BMW K75 and am still watching fleabay, but have bought a 1994 XJ600S, listed with 'struggles to get past 60mph', bought it Saturday. Has Renthall bars that clash with fairing. If you were one of the 15 people who made him an offer, this may be interesting reading

Originally thought fuel-air mixture wrong. Collected bike from Crewe, had petrol in it, added redex. Lights on. all good on M6, A556, did 20 miles, including normal 3rd lane motorway speeds, got onto M56, then ran rough and when i pulled over it stopped and when I tried starting it it wouldn't turn over more than once.

Battery dead I thought, must be charging problem.

AA took me home, god bless'em

Charged battery with optimate, showed full and happy face at 9pm so unplugged it.

Sunday middayish, dvm with croc clips on battery: 12V, press starter, motor whirrs engine turns over a bit, battery dies.

Move bike next to other bike (1991 XJ600) jump leads out, old'un running, new one turns over a bit, does not start.

Disconnect Divvy from it's battery, connect divvy to 1991 XJ's battery, turns over labouredly - don't want to kill working bike so stopped that.

Put full bifters cheap nasty 4A car battery charger on the Divvy (may not have been best plan) have my dinner, DVM now says 17V, oh dear, still only turns over a little bit before battery dies.

Cup of tea

Move Divvy to front garden, park next to Princess Fiona (Green 850 10v 2.5L GLE Estate, oh if only Volvo made bikes). Jump leads, start Fiona's engine. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. could carry on doing this for ever. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire. Put hand over divvy exhuast, Turn Divvy over, doesn't fire, but do know that air is going through cylinders (feel pulses at exhaust).

But now realise no smell of petrol, despite variations of choke, full, reserve and prime!

TA DAH. (at least) 2 problems for the price of one. Divvy back under cover and locked up.

Won and paid for Haynes Manual, expected later this week.

Have purchased standard bars and used rectifier from local breakers (at 7pm on a Sunday).

Intend to buy new battery tomorrow from Pitstop in Lowton.

And now, to sleep, to dream.

There's a shortcut to everything - except experience, with your experience I want to find the shortest route to getting it working properly again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fuel delivery?

does the tank hiss when you open the cap?

does the petcock piss fuel when you pull the fuel line off and turn the tap to purge ?

Is nobody worried that he drives a Volvo named Princess Fiona..... :unsure:

;)

Is nobody worried that he drives a Volvo named Princess Fiona..... :unsure:

;)

Have you seen Shrek? Big, strong and green on the outside, sounds like Cameron Diaz. Comfortable inside, oh wait that sounds dirty.

I had a fiona fiesta (pre shrek days), so I see nothing wrong there!

Fuel delivery?

does the tank hiss when you open the cap?

does the petcock piss fuel when you pull the fuel line off and turn the tap to purge ?

At last got some daylight to work in.

Tank doesn't hiss. 2 days ago, in the dark I drained the tank through the filter, by disconnecting hose between filter and vacuum fuel pump and turning tap to prime. Put that petrol in old XJ, and it has run fine for last 2 days, so fuel was alright, tap is alright (at least on prime) and filter allows fuel to flow through it.

Next step is pump, but I've never dealt with one of those. I think the Haynes manual says vacuum pump is irrepairable, so may have to find replacement. How can I test the pump? Today I tried sucking on the vacuum hose to the pump whilst turning over the engine, but to no effect. later read some stuff in net and maybe the pump requires an oscillating vacuum (like supplied by the hose from the carb). In the absence of a replacement pump can I hoist the tank up high and have the carbs gravity fed like my old XJ?

Matthew

Yep Matty you cant repair the pump, you can test it by pulling the hose off the pump, put a tray under the bike and turn the ignition, you should have petrol pissing from the pump

Thanks barkwindjammer (whatever that means)

Daylight again, and descendants either happily playing with lego or asleep. New battery charged and fitted. That tanks awkward to get off.

Drain bowl from each of the carbs in turn and saw fuel come out of lower end of the drain hose, but couldn't undo screw of carb 4

300mm long spare hose fitted to outlet of the pump, turn engine over and some fuel comes out, not a lot but some. point hose upwards and turn engine over, see the level rise in pulses, so pump works at least to some degree.

Using funnel from my camping stove and the spare hose, rig a direct gravity fed fuel feed to the carbs. Holding funnel in one hand press start button with other, engine turns over, and vacuum is applied to the fuel pump which then pumps the residual petrol out onto the gearbox.

Disconnect the vacuum pipe, try again, engine tries to start.

Need another hand, but wife is at concert practice and awake child is not the most helpful one. tip petrol from funnel back into fuel flask and lay funnel/pipe assy over airbox. hold finger over end of fuel tap vacuum hose, turn engine over. It tries to start, and sounds better than last go. with one hand mostly manage to cover ends of 2 vacuum hoses, and turn engine over. Almost starts.

Plug ends of vacuum hoses with screwdriver bits, turn choke off, put petrol in funnel again, turn engine over again, doesn't try and start, put choke back on, again nearly starts.

put most hoses back where they should be, and feed fuel from the funnel to the filter. try again doesn't come as close to starting as it did before.

pour petrol into safe containers and store safely in shed, waited 15 minutes for spilt petrol to evaporate and vapours to clear away, then fitted optimate to battery, to recharge, ready for another go at that fueling problem tomorrow or during the week.

the bike was sold as struggles to get past 60mph. When the fuel pump fails, does it completely fail or can it become less effective?

I'm going to look for some answers to another problem in other threads, or may start another unrelated one - which subsection should I post new technical queries in?

Thanks for your help

Matthew

Can't help with the fuel issue but 'workshop' would be the place to ask.

Well, I've had it running, fitted a new air filter on Friday afternoon.

I refitted the tank (is there a knack to that - I had to turn the tap to prime to get it on and off, and I wouldn't want to do that if it was full), and it still ran. Have ordered oil filter and oil.

Tomorrow (Sunday) I'll take the Divvy out to try. The old XJ is now on Ebay and I hope soon to be rid of it and all the scrap spares I've collected. If you want to see how much a problematic bike can fetch, go and look for '1991 XJ600 used daily' Would you pay for it?

Matthew

I'd give you £300 for it? :), let me know if your interested in a deal ;)

When the daily digest of subscribed threads dropped in my hotmail in-box, at first reading I thought it was a message about my 20 year noisy leaky old XJ600 which is on ebay, and the Diversion forum, I'm hoping to get for £200-£300 for that bike.

I paid £625 for this Diversion, it's now running and I've had it out, all I need now is oil and filter change, end section of rear mudguard and I'll be away, I'll probably balanced the carbs and check the valve clearances as well. It's only done 15000 miles so far, if I sell it next year I might get near £1000, so thanks for the offer, but I'm keeping it :).

M

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online