MOT Requirements

LiamDTR
This post is 4954 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Folks,

As some of you know I've been getting my DT125R ready for a return to the roads, the information I have received here, from various mechanics and also MOT Testers is invaluable. Some parts of this are obvious but others not so much.

A quick breakdown of the stuff that is not required for an MOT (My personal case so far!).

1. Lights, If you have even one light connected all of the lights must be connected. However interestingly enough if you were to blank out all of your lights with duct tape or something similar they wouldn't test them anyway...

2. Speedometer, not actually needed for the MOT but it is against the law to not have one fitted to the machine if it will be touching the road!

3. Odometer/tacho, again not actually needed for the vehicle at all as it's only there to tell you your present mileage and how many revs are being produced. The mileage would be put down as "mileage unknown".

4. Horn, required for the MOT. Must be at-least a 9v (TM9 Battery Powered) horn attached to the vehicle that can sound continuously (I picked one up for £15 and it's LOUD).

5. Number plate. You MUST have a number plate fitted for position checking etc, and make sure you have a reflector on the bottom of the bracket or use reflector screws for the plate (about £2 a pair but leaves your tail.. TIDY!).

That's all I can think of that actually surprised me for the MOT, you can have the most mechanically sound bike in the world but they won't pass it without a horn ;) Hope someone else finds this useful, especially if it's your first re-road register.

Cheers for the help I've had here guys :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the law says it must be a continuous noise (not a bulb horn for instance, unless flat tanker models)

Ah, May well be the case then Dirty, I did however check with four separate MOT Testers and they said this was the minimum requirement. I do apologize if this information is wrong.

And yes Drewpy that is correct unless the vehicle was manufactured/designed before 1905 :) The MOT Testers handbook doesn't actually state which voltage a horn should be so I'm guessing it's something of a "standard" and also a very obtainable item to get :)

Ah, May well be the case then Dirty, I did however check with four separate MOT Testers and they said this was the minimum requirement. I do apologize if this information is wrong............

No worries.

This site HERE is quite useful for reference.

Should it have a brake light, even for a daytime MOT? doesnt seem a good idea to not have one .

Apparently it's perfectly okay so long as you know and use your hand signals... worryingly very few people know them though :angry:

Also OG, this may be worth a look. My previous bike to the DT I actually had to use the slowing down signal that this chap demonstrates towards the end :Phttp://www.advancedmotorcyclists.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=197&Itemid=2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online