YZF1000R Thunderace rebuild project

TomLO
This post is 4325 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, dont know if im posting this in the right place but I saw another project in here so please move it to somewhere more appropriate if needbe, thought i'd share this with you all.

The posts are cut&pasted from my local clubs website of my project log so far

This is my 2nd project bike, a 1998 Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace which was in need of a little TLC, got it for a reasonable price with 27K on the clock, there is some minor damage here and there and mechanically its in a bit of a tatty state.

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Finally, the important bit i've been waiting for, got the frame, swingarm and forks back from shotblasting and powder coating today:

frame_coated1.jpg

frame_coated2.jpg

swingarm_coated.jpg

Now i've got to start remembering where all those brackets and things go and get them all back on

Best thing of all I got the price wrong, i thought it was £168 + VAT and it was including so I was really pleased, also got a price for my wheels over there and was really impressed. They can do a powder base coat, wet spray and powder laquer which gives a really smooth glossy finish for £60 per wheel however for plain powder coatings for wheels they are doing it for £45 per wheel

Got a bit more done today

frame_swingarm1.jpg

Just to help to break up the black a bit:

torque_arm1.jpg

More nice new bits arrived today:

hagon1.jpg

hagon2.jpg

All I gotta do now is try and work out which way round the damn linkages go

Got my wheels back today, they've done an awsome job on them, this is in plain gloss black powder as opposed to the High-Gloss thing I mentioned earlier and I think the finish is nearly as good

front_wheel.jpg

and a close-up

wheel_closeup.jpg

Took them over to Rich at Universals and got some Pirelli Angel ST's put on

--------

More pics, cheers Mick for the help getting the forks back together

forks1.jpg

Rear shock fitted

rearshock1.jpg

Top and bottom yokes painted

topyoke1.jpg

Knocked the spacer out of the old bearing and fitted in the new one

sprocket_carrier1.jpg

and then fitted the bearing and sprocket with some new stainless steel sprocket nuts

sprocket_carrier2.jpg

------

Took the clutch slave cylinder apart as it looked pretty manky and the fluid that came out was jet black. Took the body of the slave cylinder along with a few fairing brackets and my rear brake caliper over to be powder coated (£40 for the lot )

So anyways, here's what the guts of the slave cylinder looked like

clutchslave1.jpg

After a bit of cleaning in some petrol with wire wool

clutchslave2.jpg

Stripped the master cylinder down also

clutchmaster1.jpg

clutchmaster4.jpg

Now in the process of painting the master cylinder casing/assembly/whatever you call it

clutchmaster5.jpg

More pics to follow when I get the gloss black on. Thinking I might go for some aftermarket levers as the originals are looking really cruddy.

Got onto wemoto today did just over £200. Ordered clutch slave seal kit, clutch master seal kit, front brake master cylinder seal kit, front/rear brake HEL braided hoses and HEL clutch braided hose kit, 2 new rear brake pistons and seals and some EBC GG pads for the rear

Another update, stripped down the brake master cylinder today: found that the dust seal (boot) that sits behind the lever was shredded completely and just discintegrated when i removed it, so glad I decided to bother doing this now

brakemaster1.jpg

brakemaster3.jpg

Put the before/after painting shots together for comparison

brakemaster2.jpg

A couple of pics of the clutch master cylinder now its painted and ready to be reassembled:

clutchmaster6.jpg

clutchmaster7.jpg

--------------

My stuff from Wemoto arrived today:

Some EBC pads for the rear and front/rear/clutch HEL braided hoses

hoses_new.jpg

Front brake/clutch master cylinder overhaul kits complete with master cylinder pistons and a reseal kit for the clutch slave cylinder

seal_kits.jpg

Pair of pistons, dust and oil seals for rear caliper

brake_pistons.jpg

I'll be starting to get the master cylinders rebuilt later today so post some more piccies later with some luck

Just finished rebuilding the brake and clutch master cylinders

master_cylinders_finished.jpg

Thankfully the seal was already fitted to the brake master cylinder unfortunately the clutch one wasnt and they are an absolute pig to fit but with some rubber grease and a bit of persuasion with a plastic spatula thing I found they went on, the hardest bit is getting the piston back in without turning the seals inside out, also I'm not 100% sure if there was a pushrod for the brake master and if there was then i've lost it

Also there was no O-ring in the Brake master kit to go in the fluid inlet port, luckily I have a metric O-ring kit sitting under my bench so I managed to find something that fitted and checked it was fluid-tight by blowing down the inlet port and there is no loss of air so it should be ok.

------------

Got some more stuff back today from Powder Coater

Headlight fairing bracket, grab rail, rear brake caliper and clutch slave cylinder body.

brackets1.jpg

rear_brake1.jpg

I wasted my time cleaning the caliper out beforehand as they aqua bead blasted it which left it spotless internally

rear_brake2.jpg

Got the pistons and seals in with copious amounts of rubber grease

rear_brake3.jpg

Bought these from ProBolt

bleed_nipple.jpg

2 halfs put together after spending 2 hours searching for the bolts

rear_brake4.jpg

Fully assembled with a new pair of EBC GG pads

rear_brake5.jpg

Now on to the clutch slave

clutch_slave10.jpg

Again with copious amounts of red rubber grease managed to get the seal in, fitted new spring and put the lipseal in, have got an extra seal in there that I have no idea what its for as it only had 2 when I took it apart but nevermind

clutch_slave11.jpg

Engine is now indoors and up on the workbench. Cheers Bulldog for popping round on your way home and giving me a hand moving it, much appreciated sir.

engine_bench.jpg

While its up on the bench, will take the oppertunity to take off various bits and clean up/polish and replace various bolts with stainless ones.

Also contemplating replacing the hoses with silicone ones while im at it, however there isnt a ready-made kit for the Ace that I know of so looks like it'll be a mish-mash of various bits and bobs to do it

---------

Progress made today, removed all oil/coolant pipework to clean up/repaint, removed alternator and starter motor so i could get to all the nooks and crannies, heres a pic of a much cleaner engine now than it was this morning:

engine_clean.jpg

--------

More shiny new bits came by courier today:

zorst.jpg

Got that from Sandys Bike Spares, it was £180 and does away with the EXUP valve which is handy considering all the innards of mine had discintegrated.

Just waiting on a whole load of stainless bolts so I can start putting bits back on the engine also ordered a cam chain tensioner gasket and a new front sprocket from wemoto.

--------

Got all the pipework painting finished today and refitted with new O-rings, bit concerned if its gonna leak or not as theyre ones I had in an O-ring kit so might be slightly different size-wise.

engine_nearlyready2.jpg

engine_nearlyready1.jpg

Painted the water pump cover up the same as the front sprocket cover, its the same colour I used on the Cat so I know its a very close match. Also changed all the bolts for stainless jobbies

engine_nearlyready3.jpg

Took the oil cooler off and flushed it out with degreaser and gave it a good clean up, new HiFlo filter fitted

engine_nearlyready4.jpg

---------

Twiggy popped round this afternoon and gave me a hand lifting the engine back onto the wooden blocks outside and we fitted the frame over the engine:

engine_in1.jpg

Tomorrow hopefullly I'll be getting on with getting other bits and pieces back on

engine_in2.jpg

Another update, fitted the stuff I bought at ExCel now,

Pro-Bolt gold anodised preload adjusters, R&G bar end sliders, Motrax grips

bars.jpg

R&G cotton reels just to fill the holes up in the swingarm

cottonreel.jpg

Oh and I sanded down the flakey paintwork on the radiator and re-did it

radiator.jpg

---------

Got started on the electrics today and made really good progress, wiring loom is back in after much head scratching working out how it was routed around the frame (took about 4 hours overall) thankfully I had the sense to label up each connector before I took it out so I knew what plugged in where. While I was at it I put the expansion tank on and the rear brake fluid reservoir. That tray will need trimming down when I get the undertray but without putting the rear side panels on (and havnt got the undertray yet).

electrics1.jpg

The connections around the handlebar controls threw me a bit as the loom tucks back in under the front of the frame by the coil packs

electrics2.jpg

Fitted the Electrics, fuel pump and a new fuel filter, just waiting on Demon Tweeks for my steel braided fuel lines to arrive so I can connect that up properly

electrics3.jpg

Loosely fitted the HEL braided lines for now because a) needed to work out the best run for them and b)the 4 of them were supplied unmarked as to what each was for and I didnt wanna connect a front brake hose only to find the one left was too short for the clutch etc.

bars2.jpg

Before I re-fit the carbs I need a Dynojet kit and to replace a damaged carburettor diaphragm, also does anyone know where I can source some 10mm and some 8mm ID hose that is compatible with brake fluid for connecting the reservoirs to the master cylinders?

------

Well, thats as far as i've got so far, will post more updates as and when I get stuff done :)

Tom, looks like you are doing a top-class job there. I have an FZR1000RU (same engine as the 'Ace)and keep thinking about going right back to the start with it like you have done.

As for hoses, do you have a Pirtek near you? they will do something approriate.

Cheers guys,

I used Pirtek before when I was involved in engineering, I am considering the possibility that fuel hose should be suitable to carry brake fluid as they both have to work with chemical contact (as i have some left over) there is a local company called Leigh Baxter Associates who I've used before and are pretty good so might give them a go. Its not overly urgent yet though as there is still plenty to do before I get to that stage.

Currently fabricating a bracket for fitting a new Brembo front brake reservoir as the yamaha one was a bit manky, cheapest I could get the Yam original res was £22 just for the res, Brembo £18 for the res, cap and rubber seal.

Great bike and nice work.Best colour as well.

I did a rebuild on my black and blue ace see bootom right photo,fitted a braced YZF 750 swinging arm .

Look forward to seeing some more of you photos ,

If you ever need a workshop to use give us a call

John

Dept Motorcycle Engineering

Waltham Forest College

(We Run a Tuesday evening class all welcome to pop in )

WFC Unit 1-10 Lockwood Way, London, E17 5RB.

IMG_0476.jpg?t=1298590250

Cheers guys,

Cant do any more at the moment as im on a bit of my work roster with very little time off for a few weeks plus still waiting for some bits and bobs to be delivered. On a plus note though my imitation pazzo levers (Chinese ones) arrived today, look exactly the same but about £90 cheaper :)

new levers arrived today which I ordered from a company in the US but were shipped from China, so here they are:

levers1.jpg

Put the brake lever on ok

levers2.jpg

however i've lost the screw/nut and the brass/bronze bit the goes in the clutch lever

front_reservoir.jpg

With thanks to a mate who owns a precision engineering company I managed to pilfer some alu angle, I've made up a bracket to hold the new front brake reservoir, mirror polished it then fitted that today, unfortunately I dont have the right size hose clips for the hose but nevermind thats a job for another day

another small installment

Carbs are on finally....turned out i had all the carb-engine rubbers upside down, the Lefts on the Right and vice-versa, also had two of the inlets (tube between carb-engine) in the wrong place which explained why I had trouble getting it on :D

anyways here goes....

carbs_on1.jpg

Also got this, I decided to replace one of the diaphragms as when I stripped the carbs found one of them had been quite badly pinched at some point, probably would have been ok but as im gonna invest in having it set up by Mistral on their dyno and figuring the carbs will have to come apart a few times again I decided best action was to replace it.

filter.jpg

carbs_on2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the undertray didnt go to plan, they delivered one for a 1998 R1 and now the Ace one has been discontinued.

So as I cant add the undertray anymore I might as well put the rear wheel on and other bits and bobs (ignore the panels...that was just to test fit the undertray).

rearwheel_on1.jpg

rearwheel_on2.jpg

Also ive finally replaced the O-rings in the rigid pipework now and its water-tight again...so here we go:

Started on the 2nd press of the button, running on 4 but a bit lumpy however its off to be setup better on the dyno when I get a bit more of it done so that can be sorted out then

• 1 year later...

Since i last posted here, which was ages ago its all finished now, here are a few pics:

thunderace_bodyfinished_front1.jpg

thunderace_bodyfinished_side1.jpg

With the dynojet kit, non-exup downpipes and K&N filter i've had it dyno'd and its currently making 126rwhp which is fairly good considering I asked for it to be tuned to be more usable rather than being concerned about peak power. It had its maiden voyage to the Isle of Man for the TT a few weks ago and apart from a few small niggles its working great.

Oh and I fitted the new can (finally) before it got dyno'd with baffles removed:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online