I need a project. All opinions welcome

DirtyDT
This post is 4970 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As a little background, I used to be a regular on the forum and had a DT175mx. Ended up buying other bits and ended up with 2 DT175mx's both in bits. What I missed was riding a bit and the time to work on the bits so I sold the bits and brought a bike to ride around on.

I missed some of the forum banter and am now looking to start a new project. Ideally I want a trails type bike that will suffer the occasional long ride and a few short rides. '70's or '80's and I would guess that a XT500 fits the bill (except maybe the cost). I am looking to spend about £500 on a rolling chassis or £1000 on something better and don't want the total spend, over about 12 months, to cost more than about £2500.

Any thoughts or can anyone convert me to something other than a trials? Road legal

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easyest question ever, TDR250 mate.

Buy a ropey one that works for 7-800quid. Some rebuilding costing maybe the same of which the engine should be about 400, if you do it for less your cheating (may as well get StanStephens to do it for 500) and you have a bike with everything.

You want to go nuts, fine its a race bred 2 stroke. Bimble, fine not really what there for but it will do it. That powervalve system makes the engine super tractable. Comfy, you bet :D did squires in one hit ( 180 miles, bar fuel) no neck ache, numb fingers etc. Only minor side is getting around 40 MPG from the pathetic 2 gallon tank.

Oh and the other minor issue of finding one :lol:

But hey you want a challenge........

How about a DT125R and a nice pair of high heels :P

I see the abuse has started already :lol: I keep the high heels for "special" dates only.

Easyest question ever, TDR250 mate..........................

Hi Cynic,

I see you still have yours. I did think of a TDR but they are like hens teeth. I think I could just get away with the seat height.

Just browsing evilbay at the moment.

Here's a real challenge...

A Ratted Survival bike!!!

Get a real non-runner and use only what you can scrounge, or perhaps find in a scrap yard.

For those readers that don't know, a proper Rat bike is one that is kept running using the absolute minimum in terms of kit and cost. Usually this results in a rusty, grubby piece-of-junk looking bike, often painted matte black all over for simple aesthetic reasons, but also some ingenious methods of repairing the bike.

For example, rather than properly weld up an exhaust hole, a Rat would just have a piece of Coke can secured tightly over the hole with a pair of hose clips, or something.

A popular cheap fix is to accessorise the Rat with military surplus items, such as ammo boxes for panniers.

Survival bikes are normally 'Ratted' on purpose for aesthetic reasons. They look like something out of Mad Max, but are often mechanically well maintained. A true afficionado will have a Survival bike that is properly Ratted.

I quite fancy doing one myself, actually!

Here's a real challenge...

A Ratted Survival bike!!!

An old mate of mine thought that "ratting" a bike was just throwing a tin of dark green or grey paint over it. And that included the tyres.

Not a bad idea though.

iv got a sachs roadster 125, all it will need is a new engine, clutch or brake lever (not sure which one it is) and a paint job, i just got it mot'd and taxed when the head blew. i had a play and fooked up the timing which resulted in a broken valve, but its in pretty good nick, you could fit a 250 engine in there at a push as the original engine is a 125 xv virago V2. would make a nice project but im in the middle of building my bobber so its sat there doing nowt for now. im willing to let it go for 300 as it is.

I see the abuse has started already :lol: I keep the high heels for "special" dates only.

Hi Cynic,

I see you still have yours. I did think of a TDR but they are like hens teeth. I think I could just get away with the seat height.

Just browsing evilbay at the moment.

UGGGGH for TDR's don't, leave that hideoust profiteering shite well alone. There are a couple on there now that are too dear. Have a look at TDR owners club. Not as busy as here but you will get perfectly useable runners for maybe 800quid. Just ask merv, Certainly good material to work with.

As to seat height, you'd be surprised, it really isn't that high. Couple of inches more than an RD. Remember its not actually a dirt bike its just pretending.

And yes i am biased,totally, i cannot think of a bike i would change the TDR for, it will do anything i need and doesent leave me needing a chiropractor after using it.

Something to whet your appetite, http://tdr250.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6323

iv got a sachs roadster 125, all it will need is a new engine, clutch or brake lever (not sure which one it is) and a paint job, i just got it mot'd and taxed when the head blew. i had a play and fooked up the timing which resulted in a broken valve, but its in pretty good nick, you could fit a 250 engine in there at a push as the original engine is a 125 xv virago V2. would make a nice project but im in the middle of building my bobber so its sat there doing nowt for now. im willing to let it go for 300 as it is.

Thanks for the offer but it doesn't tick any box apart from the price. Cheers.

How about this if he's still got it.......

http://tdr250.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6374

Ready made project.......

UGGGGH for TDR's don't, leave that hideoust profiteering shite well alone. There are a couple on there now that are too dear. Have a look at TDR owners club. Not as busy as here but you will get perfectly useable runners for maybe 800quid. Just ask merv, Certainly good material to work with.

As to seat height, you'd be surprised, it really isn't that high. Couple of inches more than an RD. Remember its not actually a dirt bike its just pretending.

And yes i am biased,totally, i cannot think of a bike i would change the TDR for, it will do anything i need and doesent leave me needing a chiropractor after using it.

Something to whet your appetite, http://tdr250.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6323

Just looking at evilbay to see what's about generally. apart from a couple of FZR's and TY175's there doesn't seem too much. The linky needs me to register but I will have a look at the site soon and see what is about. Cheers.

Thanks for the offer but it doesn't tick any box apart from the price. Cheers.

fair dues m8 guess il save it for my next project :D

How ya dirty,,,,,,,me name is Pat

Sur ya have a project allready,,,,,,,,,,,half the fun is lookin for somethin,,,,,,,,,,,,,provided it doesnt take too long.

Find an aul rusty frame,,a worn out engine,,and start from there,,,,,,,,,,,,,sur it'd be great crack !:)

A DT400 sold over here a week ago for €200 :o was well fooked lookin though

Good luck with the search,,,,,,,,,,something right will turn up for ya in time !

Top of the morning Pat.

Half the fun IS looking and then finding out that what you are after is going for top dollar and they are all 300 miles away. The longer I am forced to look, the more I can afford to spend. That is the only way to keep me going.

At the moment my thoughts are still looking to end up with one of these but doing the work myself. A TDR250 is the only other alternative at the moment. Maybe a single seat TDM.

Not sure yet :D

Aye "aye , yeh dirty bugger , :D Why not try a DT250MX , plenty of them & tons of spares = cheap resto , i rode one for a year, hardy old bike , cruise at 60mph ,

Hi (again) Blackhat.

I do remember that when I was on the forum a long while ago the 250's and 400's were going for BIG bucks. There is a 250 on evilbay at the moment @ £500 I am looking at. Lets see what happens ;)

Top of the morning Pat.

Half the fun IS looking and then finding out that what you are after is going for top dollar and they are all 300 miles away.

Aye,,,,,,,,,,,,jaysus that is sooooo true.

Before i sold my CBR there were loads of CHEEP Fazers round and now that im lookin for wan the bisterds seem ta have jumped up in price :( and are hour's and hour's drive away.

XT 500,,,,,,,,,,,,nice :thumb:

Aye,,,,,,,,,,,,jaysus that is sooooo true.

Before i sold my CBR there were loads of CHEEP Fazers round and now that im lookin for wan the bisterds seem ta have jumped up in price :( and are hour's and hour's drive away.

XT 500,,,,,,,,,,,,nice :thumb:

I am not sure about you but my days of buying cheap and selling high have gone. I did get a great deal on my SV but I think that really want a XT500 so at least tonight I have narrowed the search down (albeit over beer :rolleyes:).