DT50 breakdown :(

Spik31
This post is 4874 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

My DT50 has conked out on me as i was going to college. On the way the bike could only reach 35mph but usually cruizes at 40 mph. This was unusual but I thought because its been wet and all might be the spark plug. Cleaned the plug but kick starter doesnt work(still). So i had to walk a mile or two to college. i can bump start the bike but i cannot idle for long as it stops the engine? i think it may be the cable for the throttle has streached and it needs a small tightening? i dont have any tools with me :S any help asap?? its very much appreciated :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like it is knackered mate. phone a bike garage

an intro would be nice eh like just tell us who you are and what bike you own etc

Sorry, My name is Connor Snell, im 17 years old (tommorow) been riding my DT50mx 1996c. for a year and ive replaced the chain recently and the indicators. The bike has done 19,300 miles ish and within the past year has done over 5,000 miles for me :D Its been a great ride and im hoping to keep it helthy for as long as i own it. :lol:

Connor, a few thoughts (welcome by the way!):

Stretched throttle cable wouldn't stop the bike idling, it would only show up as 'slop' in the twistgrip

Has the spark plug been replaced? Might just need a new one, or the gap adjusted on this one ...

Choke sticking on?

Head gasket gone? Any farting from the cylinder head?

Has it 'nipped up' recently (partial seizure) - could be some wear/damage to the bore/rings (probably worst-case scenario)

Like I say, just a few thoughts ....

HTH

I think it might be the carb I have no idea how to take it apart though. I got home and I managed to keep it idle for a while before I turned it off. I never run the engine below 2 litres I've changed the oil recently.. The oil was silkolene comp2 and I've changed it i can't remember but it was a different colour :/ and I wasn't sure that the engine would handle it. If you could post how the dt50's carb I might be able to clean it. Thanks for your replys :)

my thoughts would be the carb, did you notice if the engine was running particularly hot and have you disturbed the carb in any way recently? undo the four screws at the bottom and take the bowl off the carb, if there is a build up of debris in its probably best to strip the carb down and blow the jets out

I think it might be the carb I have no idea how to take it apart though. I got home and I managed to keep it idle for a while before I turned it off. I never run the engine below 2 litres I've changed the oil recently.. The oil was silkolene comp2 and I've changed it i can't remember but it was a different colour :/ and I wasn't sure that the engine would handle it. If you could post how the dt50's carb I might be able to clean it. Thanks for your replys :)

Er alarm bells, thats synthetic 2 stroke oil (good quality too), as in for the engine to burn. What did you change it to. Or have you been using 2 stroke oil in the gearbox. More importantly comp 2 comes as injector or premix, not reccomended to get them mixed up ie premix in an injector system.

If i had to guess i'd be thinking oil starvation myself.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online