Restricting an R6

blanco
This post is 4776 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,just would line a bit of info about restricting an R6.

I've just passed my mod 1 on my yzf r125,doing mod 2 shortly.obviously I'm gonna be restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years.I wouldn't mind riding a bigger bike (r6) fir the 2years restricted.I'm not the type to pull up at traffic lights and try and race everything in sight I just want to get used to the weight and feel of a big bike,the power will come when my restriction gets lifted,so all I'd like to know is can it damage the bike in any way by restricting it??and is it safe to ride I.e when u pull away would you have to rev the arse off it to get it moving??

Advise please people,thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yeahyeahyeah.

That's what I said before I got my Ninja...

"no I don't ride like a lunatic, i dont wanna race things, i wont go over 100mph". Truth is, you will :)

Unless you've ridden an R6 before you wont notice anything worse with a restricted r6 (because you don't know what an ACTUAL r6 is like...). It might feel lumpy in certain powerbands, but that's because it's designed to thump it in those zones and the restrictor is just not letting it.

Someone once described it like making a proffessional sprinter run 100ms with only a straw to breathe through - he's obviously going to go slower and not be as good as one without this.

Also, the thing about a restrictor, is they can "fall out" - Mr. Officer sir... Trust me, when you've opened it up down the highway and your sitting on the tank only getting about 120mph the thought will run through your mind about taking it out. It's a perfectly sane thought, too, the law in this case is ridiculous.

Honestly, I ride a 250 Ninja which I find amazing. It's exactly on 33bhp so it pushes out the same power as a restricted r6 yet is lighter (thus making it FASTER!). That said, I bought it because a new R6 was much more expensive than a new Ninja, as well as insurnace being higher, and using less petrol (I get some 75-80 mpg).

Ultimately if you love the R6, go for it, it's a great bike and loads of people get them restricted. It's okay for the bike - not great (it's not a beast designed to be chained down!) - but it will be fine for your first two years. And you'll absolutely bum the power increase when it comes out, without the hassle of having to change your bike.

I know I haven't really answered all the questions - but I hope I've shed some light on the subject for you and any1 else.

Chris

Hi guys,just would line a bit of info about restricting an R6.

I've just passed my mod 1 on my yzf r125,doing mod 2 shortly.obviously I'm gonna be restricted to 33 bhp for 2 years.I wouldn't mind riding a bigger bike (r6) fir the 2years restricted.I'm not the type to pull up at traffic lights and try and race everything in sight I just want to get used to the weight and feel of a big bike,the power will come when my restriction gets lifted,so all I'd like to know is can it damage the bike in any way by restricting it??and is it safe to ride I.e when u pull away would you have to rev the arse off it to get it moving??

Advise please people,thanks

Hi,you won't notice any difference as its still a pretty fast bike (100mph+),perfectly safe and it won't damage you're bike.Good luck with bike.

I would honestly look into the cost of insurance first,

Because i have been told the insurance companies will charge the same for a restricted bike as an unrestricted one,

you may find that the smaller designed to be under 33bhp is alot cheaper to insure, just for the sake of it cannot be derestricted easily

merv

i'd go with mervin on this one. Insurance will be sky rocket, fully comp for my xj6 brand new was 1400

If your going to get a restricted licence get a smaller bike. It'll be enough to handle for two years, trade it in and then bite the jump. You'll be going from 15bhp to 33.3 bhp then something as much as 108 bhp. Look at getting an r6, your scratching off nearly three quarters of its grunt.

Hi i run a 2000 restricted R6 with 19k , to be honest from what people have said before i didi it its all lies, it starts runs fine, it pulls through the gears fantastic no hesitation no stumbling etc and sounds gorgeous with the scorpion exhaust, cant wait to de restrict it , but to be honest at 33bhp its still a beast and leave most things for dust, do it and enjoy it.

• 1 month later...