DT125 Carb, Tubes Missing??

Twisted2004
This post is 7093 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I think i have 1 or 2 tubes/pipes not connected to my carb! I this might have something to do with the bike not idling!!

On the DT125LC 1988 Carb , is there meant to be a tube that connects the carb to itself? a little black tube? seen one a DT but i dont have one!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I suppsoe that you're using a mikuni carb. I can only think that it might ne an overflow from the slide tube or one from the float bowl.

Mind you I am not a DT owner

• 2 weeks later...

at a guess, do you see that white nipple thing in pics 3 and 5 i think, that looks like something needs connecting to it. also you see the screw in pic 2 just under and to the right of the pull choke thing, have you tryed turning it to the right quite a bit? this is all at just a guess btw as i dont own one myself, but trial and error is the way forward imo :P

Yeah thats what i was thinking! Something should go on the white nipple thing.

As for the screw, i have given it a good screw with not much result.

I've balanced the floats, screwed the air screw 1 1/4 turns, then messed with the pilot screw in and out, but the bike wont idle!

Thats why im thinking something might be missing from the carb!

How about that other pipe i pointed out in pic 2??

Any more ideas?

I would do the following.

Recheck your air screw it looks like it's more than 1 1/4 turns out.

The white nipple looks like your oil feed in and the pipe looks like the oil supply.

Your idle screw the one with the spring looks bent from this angle and you ought to take it out for insoection to make sure that the rubber O-ring is OK.

This should be unscrewed about 2 turns and deternimes your idle.

If it still does not idle then you need to take the bowl off at teh bottom and clean out your jets.

IF you are not sure whether you are using any 2 stoke oil then stop and return to the basics.

You must have air going in.

You must have petrol going in.

You must have 2 stroke oil going in.

Once you have got all 3 then it's time to start looking for idle problems.

As a quick check kick the bike over a few times and some oil should come out of the end of the pipe provided it's full.

Be careful with this you could end up in trouble.

The only thing that made me think that the tube didnt go on the white nipple was the tube seemed too small.

But i do believe 2stroke does come out of the tube.

I was unaware 2stroke needed to go into the carb!

I'll give the connection a try and give feedback.

Nice one!

I would do the following.

You must have air going in.

You must have petrol going in.

You must have 2 stroke oil going in.

Once you have got all 3 then it's time to start looking for idle problems.

u forgot compresstion :) if there isnt enough compresstion it wont idle either

fuel

spark

compresstion

is what makes engines go round :D but doing that should solve the probeblem, but yea dont try and run it without 2-stroke, if anything chuck a bit in the tank

how can i test the compression??

the bike has done about 9000miles, i believe it was bought in 1988 then ridden for two years then stolen and recovered, then sat in a garage for 15 years

Do you think compression could be a problem?

From the pics it looks like we're dealing with a DT125LC mark 3, and yes the black pipe that's not connected is DEFINITELY the 2 stroke oil feed. Unless you connect it up quick the bike won't tickover, or run at all for long:(

You need to connect it to the brass stub near the front of the carb (right side) where there is currently a yellowish breather pipe attached. This breather pipe should then be attached to the white plastic stub near the rear of the carb.

I've restored a couple of these bikes and know them well, honest! ' alt='> I've restored a couple of these bikes and know them well, honest! '>

You need to connect it to the brass stub near the front of the carb (right side) where there is currently a yellowish breather pipe attached. This breather pipe should then be attached to the white plastic stub near the rear of the carb.

Which tube? to where? stub?

Thanks by the way

http://www.apry48.dsl.pipex.com/Bike/whichtube.jpg

http://www.apry48.dsl.pipex.com/Bike/whichtube2.jpg

Pipe number 2 is the one that's connected up wrong. this is just a breather pipe (as are pipes number 1,3 and 4). At the moment it's connected to the 2 stroke oil inlet, so its just letting air into the engine which will cause it to over rev.

Take it off and attach it to the white plastic stub. Then connect the black 2 stroke oil pipe to the stub that breather pipe no 2 was incorrectly attached to.

Hope this is clear, I can't understand why there are so many breather pipes on these carbs :?:

...ok so....

1. Where breather pipe no 2 is connected, is the oil inlet which...

2. ..the black oil outlet pipe needs to be connect to (this is correctly not connected to anything)

3. The white plasic tube (which appears below breather pipe no 1 and is currently not connected to anything) is where the breather pipe no 2 SHOULD be connected.

Correct??

Sorry about being so over the top, jus wanna be sure b4 i connect something up wrong and blowin somethin up!! :lol:

stripped the carb AGAIN and adjusted float height by 2 or 3mm to 22mm. 8)

Notice something nice aswell, whilst taking the carb to bits i found that pilot screws rubber washer was in fine little pieces. I suppose that doesnt help the bike, especially when idling is concerned! :evil:

carb1.jpg