Plugged tyres

vic-fzr600
This post is 4795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone

Seen a few rear Tyres on eBay at good money, but some have been plugged to repair a nail hole or similar.

Has anyone any experience with repairs like this? Are they reliable enough?

Thanks

Vic

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm going to echo Leatherat, in that would you trust a second hand tyre that has been repaired ?

I've had tyres plugged in the past, but I know they have been done right. This cannot be the case with ones from eBay, you can only trust the sellers word.

I would look for a new, cheaper tyre if costs are important - unless you are just using it for burn-outs!!! in which case, no problem.....

Hey everyone

Seen a few rear Tyres on eBay at good money, but some have been plugged to repair a nail hole or similar.

Thanks

Vic

I have no experience of tyres like these, and have no scientific facts to base my opinions upon, but a tyre that has had a puncture, will have been run flat, even for a short distance. Tyres are not designed to be run flat, and damage can occur in the sidewall from being run flat. A repair of any type will make anything (not only tyres) substandard when considered against a fault free version. On a motorcycle you have two points of contact between you and the road surface, do you really want to have one of those points of contact being second best? The price of new tyres is reletively cheap when compared to the damage (or worse) that can be caused by a tyre fault. These tyres may serve you very well, but they may not..........willing to take the risk? My bike gets the bare minimum of attention, but always gets brand new, good quality tyres.

Dont think I'd risk it either, do too many miles & need to be able to trust what's under me. Was just curious about such repairs.

In my opinion, if the repairs were as reliable as new Tyres then why would people be selling them cheap!!!!

yup I have to agreec with the other lads here,get a new tyre, something middle of the road though do not bo for golden boy or any other tyre from the Diyung dichfinder factory in china, Go for Heideneau, Cougar , maxxis , IRC, etc

merv

I'm going to echo Leatherat, in that would you trust a second hand tyre that has been repaired ?

So am I (yeah, surprise eh? :) ).

Something like that I might consider buying off a reputable local tyre dealer that I know and trust, but certainly not off some random on eBay. Other things perhaps (hell, I've even bought underwear online*) but not this...

*It was vintage ww2 kit, original and unissued stock, still sealed ;)

( I've even bought underwear online*) but not this...

In the words of John Lennon "whatever gets ya through the night"

So am I (yeah, surprise eh? :) ).

They all come around to my way of thinking eventually B):lol:

Something like that I might consider buying off a reputable local tyre dealer that I know and trust, but certainly not off some random on eBay. Other things perhaps (hell, I've even bought underwear online*) but not this...

Like this???????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Wool-Button-Front-Underwear-WWII-style-1942-/220588947313?pt=UK_Men_s_Vintage_Clothing&hash=item335c203771

The ladies of Reading must go weak at the knees! :lol:

Hey everyone

Thanks

Vic

Tyres are your primary point of contact with the road, failure could have fatal consequences for you or others.

I would not even consider second hand tyres period.

The very fact you posted surely means your thinking the same. They could be old, have sat flat for a while or just as bad been static under load in one spot for 2-3 years. No too many bad options for me to think of second hand rubber.

Get some Brigestone BT 45's or Bt 16's,,,,,,,,,which ever takes your fancy,,,,,,,there reasonable enough !

• 4 weeks later...

Ouote,

"but a tyre that has had a puncture, will have been run flat, even for a short distance. Tyres are not designed to be run flat, and damage can occur in the sidewall from being run flat"

Not really people spot nails in tyres in there garage, take off the wheel there and take it to the tyre shop or it's a slow puncture and only loses 5psi a week..

Not defending the decision to buy punctured tyres off ebay because thats just really scraping the barrel, as said you can get tyres like Maxxis pretty cheap and a brand new maxxis if far better than a 3/4 part worn punctured Pirelli Diablo Supacorsa.

I mean you you wouldn't buy piss of a tramp for 50p a ltr rather than spend £2.50 on a pint of cider at ya local? :P:lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online