Dt 125 LC 1981- 1988

mitchellman
This post is 4805 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been looking at the Dt125 Lc between the years of 1981 and 1988. I am just starting my cbt, and would like some background information on them, i have done a fair few internet searches but they all come up with the same stuff,

So.......

How much should i spend for a good condition one ?

What would be the best year to buy be ?

What is the fuel consumption like ?

What are they like to ride ?

Would you recommend a 17 Year old to have one ?

And has anyone got one in the midlands area ?

Kind Regards

David

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at the Dt125 Lc between the years of 1981 and 1988. I am just starting my cbt, and would like some background information on them, i have done a fair few internet searches but they all come up with the same stuff,

So.......

How much should i spend for a good condition one ? Anything upto 3 grand

What would be the best year to buy be ? From 81 to 88

What is the fuel consumption like ? varies around 50mpg

What are they like to ride ? better than most 125's as you don't look a tit at 50mph on a trailee

Would you recommend a 17 Year old to have one ? Duh

And has anyone got one in the midlands area ? Just about every motorcyclist on the planet has one or knows where one is they have been making DT's since the early seventiesKind Regards

David

Why not throw a small intro up in the noobs section, let us all know who you are..... :)

Sorry to dissapoint but 125 insurance will be a killer no mater how old it is. And if you want my opinion i would be looking at an 88 on model as i think they got the Powervalve motor (vez will know), which has enough go to ease the pain of the insurance, and they deffinately had better suspention. As to the brakes being better hmmm used both and there is not enough in it to choose bar the disk needs no maintanance compared to the older drum.

Thanks, the insurance doesn't seem to bad i got a rough quote for a 88 model, of £320 3rd party fire and theft/

Kind Regards

David

If you like the classic era/look why not knock it back another stage and go for an MX version (i'm biased i know).

Not as big a performance difference as you might imagine, they are a little slower but not by much if worked on. And that is the important bit they are a lot easier to work on and you can pick one up thats half tidy for 500quid, less if you search about. Be carefull though as there are shockers too. And don't get suckerd by the "completely restored wont find better" as it generally isn't, and you can.

175's are more common but there are 125 top ends out there, there is one in my garage :lol: .

I will have a look into them, i liked the look of the lc due to them looking abit more modern !

Kind Regards

David

Try getting a quote for a bike OVER 25 years old. A vintage (yes the mx's qualify) could see off a big chunk of that 300 insurance as much as maybe 100 quid if you opt for some token restrictions, like limited mileage (s/h spedo apparently helps here though i wouldnt know obviously) or a reduced value. Food for thought.

The power valve motor was only fitted on the later models 98-ish onwards iirc.

And don't listen to Cynic he more biased than me, honest! :P:P

GET A DTR B)

*runs and hides

The power valve motor was only fitted on the later models 98-ish onwards iirc.

And don't listen to Cynic he more biased than me, honest! :P:P

GET A DTR B)

*runs and hides

You can run Vez.......

Anyway i've been peeking and i recon the PV motor will go in an MX. Just where to put the rad?

Whad you recon paul a 175PV MX :lol:

I dont know of any, they are a great looking bike, I would be looking for a later one the rear suspension would be better...like the DTR's. Either way and whatever you do I think you are on the right track to be looking at a two stroke old(ish) bike, looked after properly and guarded carefully never left in dodgy places etc. Your bike will surely appreciate in value. Take your time and a nice one will come along but you may have to travel to see it and have it shipped back home.

...Paul

I looked at a dt 125 lc which was on ebay the other day, me and my dad arrived at the sellers house, and it was like trying to get blood out of a stone, he told us he had replaced the engine so we left it at that,

And iv done trials riding im not one to thrash the hell out of a bike,

Kind regards

David

This is a late one, its actually a scanned image from the Haynes manual, looks a lot like the DTR but the exhaust is on the opposite side. On the subject of exhausts...you dont see many of these early ones around now so try to get one with a good clean exhaust...a rarity on a trail bike due to the harsh environment it has to work in

DT125LC.jpg

Dont shut your eyes to a DTR like Vez says, I got a nice 2003 one this time last year with virtually no mileage

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online