Rear shock xv535

ABxv535
This post is 4813 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi was thinking of removing rear shocks and replace them with metal bars to make my bike a hardtail, seen some pics online of it done... has anyone done this and did u encounter any problems ? Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well... It'll be a bumpy ride...

I have a hardtail chop - it's a bit bouncy but not too bad. Have seen quite a few Harleys done this way, I'd say just make sure you use decent quality materials. might be worth asking on the Britchopper forum as i'm sure someone on there will have run a bike on struts.

yeah I can understand a custom built pukka hardtail chopper, what I cant understand is changing what is a bike built with suspension to hardtail. My first bike was a hardtail, a 50cc french built mobylette, couldnt believe my luck when i found a frame with a swing arm for it :D

i want to drop the mud guard down closer to the wheel that's the only way i can think of doing this without having problems with tyre rubbing inside the mud guard with the shock movement by getting shorter shocks, I've removed number plate and rear light from rear mud guard(number plate fitted on sissy bar with custom rear light) and had mud guard smoothed and resprayed but due to shocks there's a big gap between mud guard and tyre that doesn't look right so i was thinking to do something like this 35mnlnq.jpg but without the rear light on the mud guard , this was the best pic i could find to try to explain what i'm trying to do...

• 1 month later...

Decided to take your advice and scraped the strut idea and bought some smaller shocks for it (still waiting delivery, should arrive this week) changed from 320mm standard to 255mm hope it will be enough to achieve the look i want... had my mudguards and sides covers sprayed in panther metallic black, just waiting now for my petrol tank to be sprayed ...and new rear tail/brake light... :)

No we tested this and even with two people on it ( i'm 80kg and my mate with 70kg) with the shock on the harder setting( i never ride with pilion anyway ...) the tyre doesn't rub the mudguard and there's a gap to allow shock travel still, that's the reason i wanted shorter shock there's a big gap between the mudguard and the tire with the 320mm shocks and makes the bike look odd! i did look at different sizes before buying the 255mm shock.

don't know if this link is going to work but if you look at the garage my first pic of my bike , can you see the gap i've got between the tyre and the mudguard... and now with the rear light removed it just looks very odd all that gap... http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/garage/vehicle/187-yamaha-xv535/page__tab__images

New shocks now fitted and still have a 80mm gap between tyre and mudguard , even with me 80kg and my mate that is 90kg took her for a test ride there's no rubbing and no problems...and looks much better :)

I like the look of the short shock. If you put the same seat and rear bumper as the bike in the pic it would make it a sweet looking ride.yamahaviragostreetfighter.jpg

Razor :thumb:

hmmm... if it was me id whip off the pillion seat and sissy bar (since you dont use it anyway) and stick a small bobber seat on there, without the springs :D and maybe a little exhaust wrap ......but thats just me lol

looking good though :D the massive gap between fender and tire seems to be a common feature in the xv and xvs range :blink: dunno why .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online