liquid cooled 2-stroke?

larbow
This post is 5008 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the 1970's did yamaha make and sell in the USA a three cylinder liquid cooled 2-stroke road bike?

If so can someone tell me what it was and possibly post a pic of one.

Thank you.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In the 1970's did yamaha make and sell in the USA a three cylinder liquid cooled 2-stroke road bike?

If so can someone tell me what it was and possibly post a pic of one.

Thank you.

I don't think so Yamaha were 2 cylinder & air cooled through the 70's. I guess you are refering to the GT750 Suzuki

No. I'm thinking of yamaha. I may have my decade mixed up. Did they make a two or three cylinder liquid cooled 2-stroke in the 80's and sell it in the U.S.?

No. I'm thinking of yamaha. I may have my decade mixed up. Did they make a two or three cylinder liquid cooled 2-stroke in the 80's and sell it in the U.S.?

Yes, they made them, 2 cylinder 2 strokes didn't send them to the states though cos the emmisions killed them. The lc's were europe only. Except for possibly some private imports maybe?

I'm not aware of anything 3 cyl outside of the race track.

Well the US had the RZ350 (twin) Have a look but as Cynic says in the USA 2 strokes got killed because of emissions and to be fair the only 2 strokes from Yamaha (road bikes) of the 70's/80's era where either singles or twins and with the exception of the V4, RD500 or RZ500 RD/Z 500 History I rode one of these bikes what a tool ... it was just a little unreliable due to the owners of the V4 riding it too slow & using poor 2 stroke oil (the YPVS seized up with oil & carbon deposits). To get an RZ500 in North America you would have had to have made the purchase in Canada or imported one from Europe or Australia, New Zealand, if you can find one well worth a ride

you thinking of the 4 cyl TZ750?

14675d1228227926-harley-davidson-1-logo-tz750-flat-tracker.jpg

Hmmm, whats more likely to hurt you. Juggling old sticks of dynamite with a blindfold or riding that....... :blink:

Giz a go B)

Hmmm, whats more likely to hurt you. Juggling old sticks of dynamite with a blindfold or riding that....... :blink:

Giz a go B)

Don't forget the OP said road bike not race/off road so King Kenny's stuff does not apply (as nice as it is) so we are now left with the RD(Z) 500 as the only two stroke road bike of the era (1980's) with more than two cylinders

In the USA 2 strokes got killed because of emissions

Yeh thats a laugh too, most of em running around in V8s 10mpg, Thing is they contol the production market. thats where world volume sales were. They killed my sooter ,[ Quadraphenia] :(

were you thinking of this 1971/72 GL750 2smoker, 4cylinder, water cooled, which never want in to production.gl750-lhsm.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online