continous Insurance UK law

drewpy
This post is 497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Am in the same boat as 'Rich B', my bike is in my garage coz i need to do the front fork seals and a new front tyre. My insurance company just contacted me to ask if i will be renewing insuranceas it is about to expire. so thanks to the beauracrats who think they know better i now have a bill for about £350, rather than leaving it in the garage and doing it bit by bit :angry::angry::thumbdown:

• 5 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have several bikes , all on the same policy which means theyre insured all the year round some of the bikes are taxed & MOT some are on sorn all is ok as far as can tell .

I Often wonder why Britain doesnt take a leaf out of the French way of haveing useing a vehicle on the road All vehicles have to have an insurance sticker attached to the bottom of windscreen on righthand side or if m/c a small weather proof disc with sticker in it , Its a jail able offence not to have a vehicle insured if used on the roads in France so no one does it , as for the MOT which are called CT Control technic You also have a sticker in the windscreen showing pass date and date due the great thing best of all Bikes dont require an Mot /CT Have learnt recently the micro car in Britain requires Insurance MOT TAX and a motor cycle licence to drive it with if havent a full licence , where as in France a Micro car all you need is insurance yup no licence no tax no CT Ripp off Britain right enough but do like the place .

• 5 weeks later...

We retired to Brittany a year ago. Interesting point here is that you do not require an MOT for a motorbike but all vehicles must be insured even if "off road" which saves problems for the police in checking and insurance companies in sorting claims. All helps to keep costs down BUT - if you're not insured then it means a fine and up to 6 months in jail. All cars are registered and French jails are not nice.

Another point is there are 4 levels of insurance, the lowest being just 3rd party which is usually quite cheap. Apart from that the roads are excellent, few roadworks and most of these don't have reduced speed limits, much less traffic per km/mile and most drivers are biker friendly. Food is good and we will be making our own cidre (cider) this year.

It's a hard life. hahahahaha

• 7 months later...

Just a interesting point l found out today, guess bikes will be the same. My car insurance just ran out and l didnt like it to be renewed just yet (low funds) as its the middle of month and l dont get paid until the end of month and thought l'll just use my bike. Insurance complany told me l need to let DVLA know, ok l thought no problem, do it online? didnt find anything to SORN about insruance just Road Tax (yes did see MIB site). phone them up about it and found out, l will have to send my road tax back to make a SORN, What this is crazy? I know about TAX you can renew it or kept it off the road and SORN it, but insurance? l dont know when l'll get insurance for it hopefully end of month or next. I can get the money tomorrow if need to but just waiting until payed again. Told them what l'm planning to do just wait a few weeks (todays the 15th by the way) I was ask if l had a letter about it yet and l said No, I dont want to give the tax disc back as l may just get insurance for it in the next few days/weeks and be stuck without road tax then. Was told this is a bit of a GREY area for what l do, did push for a better answer (not a lot of help) but for what l understand l can try my luck and wait until payed again to get insurance or make a SORN now and lose 15 days of road tax anyway. That also mean not only will l have to get insurance, l will have to get road tax aswell. WTF. If l get the letter 1st about it then l must SORN it anyway ASAP.

right, so where do i stand with this ? the moto guzzi im restoring is 1982, but has been off the road for since about 1996, i have the log book - dont get any thing through about tax/mot and its not sorned or insured?

right, so where do i stand with this ? the moto guzzi im restoring is 1982, but has been off the road for since about 1996, i have the log book - dont get any thing through about tax/mot and its not sorned or insured?

If it has been continuously off the road before 1998 and has NOT been taxed, insured or SORN then you need to nothing. The TS is in this category. If it has been taxed, insured or SORN then you need to keep the SORN current and re-SORN it annually.

thanks for clearing that up, our garage is like a scrapehap the amount of frames, and bikes in it - would take days to get them all sorned :L

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 10:53 AM, karnaahai said:

Correct me if Im wrong, If your bike/car is not declared sorned then you have to have it insured(because it is assumed taxed and road use legal).

SORN only came in in 1998.

As stated above:

Any vehicle that was offroad before that date and hasn't been taxed or declared SORN since, doesn't need to be SORNed. If it is re-taxed, then every year it's offroad thereafter it requires SORNing.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online