crank install

triadracer
This post is 5044 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey everyone!!! just need a little advice on something.... Im in the middle of rebuilding the bottem end on one of my bikes. Its a RT180 im currently putting it back together and am at a stand still here.. I need to press the crank shaft into the crank case but dont have a puller installer tool for the the job... Was wondering if i put the crankcase in the oven and put the crank and bearing in the freezer for a little while then install it.... Has anyone had any problems with this? and would it work?

please get back to me i would like to get it installed soon!!!

thanks everyone

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey everyone!!! just need a little advice on something.... Im in the middle of rebuilding the bottem end on one of my bikes. Its a RT180 im currently putting it back together and am at a stand still here.. I need to press the crank shaft into the crank case but dont have a puller installer tool for the the job... Was wondering if i put the crankcase in the oven and put the crank and bearing in the freezer for a little while then install it.... Has anyone had any problems with this? and would it work?

please get back to me i would like to get it installed soon!!!

thanks everyone

Its not worth it , even if you think you managed to do it .

can you imagine put it all back together and then it goes bang

i would go to an engineering company and get it done properly but thats just me , you might get away with it ??

cheers

Al

Seems a lot of caution in the previous posts but I thought this was a tried and tested approach to crank installation, I would do just that but I would fit the bearing in the case first...freeze bearing and warm case. Then warm case and freeze crank.

I know 'Cynic' has done this with his DT175 recently ;)

Hopefully 'Cynic' will add his two cents worth

hey everyone!!! thanks for the replies!!! seems to be a lot of caution! I dont wanna wreck the crankshaft or the crankcase, so im going to shop around a bit before getting a puller tool... Can any of u help me though im not sure of what puller i need i was looking at the tusk website, they have a puller installer and not sure if that is the one i need to use... Are all threads on the end of the cranks the same?

No its really easy to use heat, takes minutes.

One other thing you need is a heat gun, this will heat everything up enough to get things to fit but wont hurt the seals or the cases.

Phase one is to put the bearings into the cases, this entails the cases in the oven bearings in the freezer (Overnight ideally) you will be able to fit the seals to the cases as well as while the case is warm they will also be an easy fit.

Make sure your ready and have everything laid out as it is going to fit, silly things to watch like the DT175 has a different bearing on each side of the crank but they look very similar as do the seals, be an arse to find that out later.

Once the bearings are in the cases leave them be so they can grow into place, done properly beleive me they will never move again. They should just drop in initially mine would rattle :D till they warmed up.

Once done use a heat gun to heat the left hand case and bearing ready for the crank to go in, this again will be an easy sliding fit (bar burnt fingers) but do make sure its seated.

Then once your ready with the rh case hear it again with the heat gun so its nice and hot and slide it down the crank.

It sounds scary but it really is very easy and causes no stress to the cases at all, Iron hot is the temp your after where your spit slides off fissing slightly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online