Fouled Plugs on Lanza DT 230

LanzaTZ
This post is 4791 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have a Lanza DT 230 which I think is a 1996 from Japan. I can't find much info about it online and I am having problems with my plugs staying clean more than a few days and there is quite a bit of smoke. Someone recommended disconnecting the oil reserve and mixing it myself in the tank. I don't really want to do that. Can I adjust something or is it just the life of a 2 stroke?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I have a Lanza DT 230 which I think is a 1996 from Japan. I can't find much info about it online and I am having problems with my plugs staying clean more than a few days and there is quite a bit of smoke. Someone recommended disconnecting the oil reserve and mixing it myself in the tank. I don't really want to do that. Can I adjust something or is it just the life of a 2 stroke?

Thanks

Dirty plugs is a bit of an arse to nail down. Obviously chuck the current (get :lol: it) plug and double check the gap on the new one. Be certain you are using good quality oil and fuel and confirm the spark is nice and bright.

Generally its a rich mix and or a weak spark that will foul the plugs so look along those lines. When was it decoked last, if the cyl has coked up from chugging around Japan's city streets that will do it too.

Sorry no holy grail fix but something for you to go at though. ;)

Welcome along by the way, there are several proper DT nuts on here, the Lanza is basically a bored and stroked DT125 so baring the obvious diferences its pretty much the same as the 125.

Hi,

Thanks

Chief,

check oil pump adjustment (cable and minimum stroke length). Air filter also. Don't ditch the pump!

Any idea where I can get a new air filter for this bike? I need one.

A Yamaha dealer may be able to order you one.

To add to Jebbs suggestions, it may be an idea to check the junction box on the throttle cable and lubricate if needed.

my problem is I live in Africa. I went home to the US this summer and tried dealers there but they never heard of the bike and weren't too helpful. I can't find anything online for it either except for one Japanese site. I was hoping to be able to order a filter online but not sure from where.

I agree with the points above ^^^^

Any chance of a picture of the bike ? ?

my problem is I live in Africa. I went home to the US this summer and tried dealers there but they never heard of the bike and weren't too helpful. I can't find anything online for it either except for one Japanese site. I was hoping to be able to order a filter online but not sure from where.

I have a feeling that the DTR125 air filter may fit. Can you upload a picture of the current filter?

Or you could try emailing a Yamaha dealer in a different country and explaining your situation.

EDIT: http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/DT_230_4TP1_2_Lanza/97-98/picture/Air_Filter looks the same a the DTR at first look. maybe try and email them and see if they will send you one.

thanks for the link to wemoto.  I think mine is a '96 but it looks like that will fit.

Looking at the picture of your air filter and the abuse the sand gives it, it may be wise to buy 2 :o

You wont get the filter holder so may want to replace the sponge that has rotted with something to give a good seal.

Also i would be surprised if the bike is a 96 with the styling on the plastics, that style didn't come in on the DTR until 2004, But i'm speculating.

Nice bike B) And welcome to the forums btw.

so it was imported to Tanzania from Japan. I have a vehicle registration card which says it is a 1996 but I have a hard time believing it too. I think I read that later models were blue. It is in great condition (except for the fouled plugs and smoke) for a '96.

Cool bike there sir,,,,,,me likes.

That filter should fit ok.

Ya should take more care of your new ones with all that dust arround your area.

What kinda fouling is happening to your plugs ?

Sounds like it might be running to rich !

EDIT : Your plugs should be = NGK BR9ES and your air screw should be 1+ 1/2 or 1+ 1/4 turn out

What kinda fouling is happening to your plugs ?

Sounds like it might be running to rich !

EDIT : Your plugs should be = NGK BR9ES and your air screw should be 1/2 or 1/4 turn out

Have you got a DT230 by any chance Manual Pat  ? 

For the DT125R that should be 1 and a 1/4 turns out btw. 

I think the air filter condition could contribute towards fouled plug. Less air getting through would mean a rich mixture( which means rich in petrol and 2-stroke).

Also with it being an import the bike may have been tuned to suit Japans environment. If it was me, i would replace the filter give the bike an overall service then tune it to suit the drier environment of Tanzania.  

so it was imported to Tanzania from Japan.  I have a vehicle registration card which says it is a 1996 but I have a hard time believing it too.  I think I read that later models were blue.  It is in great condition (except for the fouled plugs and smoke) for a '96.

Maybe the Lanza had the newer plastics before the DTR, like i said I'm speculating as my knowledge about the Lanza is limited at best.

Have you got a DT230 by any chance Manual Pat ?

For the DT125R that should be 1 and a 1/4 turns out btw.

Na, i just googled and found some settings for him.

Yep, me DT is on 1/4 turn out

ps there a nice bike arent they.

Na, i just googled and found some settings for him.

Yep, me DT is on 1/4 turn out

ps there a nice bike arent they.

Yeah. i like em.

Maybe share the info you found with him Pat.

1/4 turn out. thats running a bit rich ain't it? Mine probably wouldn't start if i set it that low.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online