Yamaha DT125R replacement carburettor

Liam-WRX
This post is 4984 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

I currently own a Yamaha DT125R trail bike and the carburettor keeps flooding the engine due to the float valve needle being worn. The carburettor on my bike is a Mikuni VM26SS and I would like to know if the Molkt 26mm carburettor would fit as a replacement to it? Or are there any other alternative carburettors for this bike?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The carburettor has other problems such as heavy leaking, burst hoses, and a broken choke. The repair kit for Mikuni VM26SS is altogether around £30, however, I have found a brand new Molkt TZ28 26mm carburettor for £30 so I figured it would be easier just to buy a brand new replacement. I just need to know if the Molkt TZ28 26mm carb would fit as a direct replacement to the Mikuni VM26SS carb that is currently fitted to the bike?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220637441457

The carburettor has other problems such as heavy leaking, burst hoses, and a broken choke. The repair kit for Mikuni VM26SS is altogether around £30, however, I have found a brand new Molkt TZ28 26mm carburettor for £30 so I figured it would be easier just to buy a brand new replacement. I just need to know if the Molkt TZ28 26mm carb would fit as a direct replacement to the Mikuni VM26SS carb that is currently fitted to the bike?

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220637441457

I would repair the VM26 myself, who's to say the jetting of any replacement is going to be spot on? (I doubt it) money is obviously an issue so the cheapest way would be the repair IMO.

Repair the VM26 for your £30 you will get quality parts to repair a quality carb, buying this unknown carb which will need jetting for sure could cost you loads of jets, as it will be trial and error to get the mixture right, and possibly a seized engine if you do not get it right, it will very likely need all the jets replacing which will cost you much more than the £30 outlay

you have chosen wisely the other carb is pit bike quality, the sort you get on a £250 Chinese bike.

Thanks mate

See if I bought a Mikuni VM22 and purchased the correct jets for the bike, would it be suitable for my bike?

Cheers

Thanks mate

See if I bought a Mikuni VM22 and purchased the correct jets for the bike, would it be suitable for my bike?

Cheers

You would lose power with a VM22, It isnnt likely to fit your inlet rubber or manifold either, stick with what's original and you wont regret it

You would lose power with a VM22, It isnnt likely to fit your inlet rubber or manifold either, stick with what's original and you wont regret it

It turns out that this carburettor repair kit won't be able to fix my VM26SS because it's only meant for a VM26-606 which looks the same but has different gaskets and pilot jets. So now I have a dilemma. If I bought a Mikuni VM24, and bought the correct jets, would it work?

If any of you guys have a DT125R, which carburettor is it running on?

Thanks

It turns out that this carburettor repair kit won't be able to fix my VM26SS because it's only meant for a VM26-606 which looks the same but has different gaskets and pilot jets. So now I have a dilemma. If I bought a Mikuni VM24, and bought the correct jets, would it work?

If any of you guys have a DT125R, which carburettor is it running on?

Thanks

VM26SS is the correct carb, is there an id number on it? 3MB00 possibly?

I suggest you ring Steve at motocarb, I have always found him very helpful...tell him what the issues are and he will sort it out for you. I'm sure he can supply a bowl gasket.

Yes the ID number is 3MB00.

VM26SS

3MB00

Main Jet 210

Air Jet 0.7

Jet Needle 5J25

Clip position 4th from top

Needle Jet Q-2

Throttle Cutaway 2.5

Pilot Jet 22.5

Power Jet 60

Air Screw (Turns Out) 1 and 1/2

Float Height 21mm

Give Steve a ring, he's the expert ;)

VM26SS

3MB00

Main Jet 210

Air Jet 0.7

Jet Needle 5J25

Clip position 4th from top

Needle Jet Q-2

Throttle Cutaway 2.5

Pilot Jet 22.5

Power Jet 60

Air Screw (Turns Out) 1 and 1/2

Float Height 21mm

Give Steve a ring, he's the expert ;)

I see you've got the Haynes manual lol

Yep, look out on ebay and get yourself one too. best one is the later one with the DTRE picture on the front, more chance of selling it on later.

Yeah I've already got one. It's the one with 2002 DT125R on the front.

Yeah I've already got one. It's the one with 2002 DT125R on the front.

My bike is only used as a field bike and I bought it last month quite cheap but it needed a bit of work. All I want to do now is get a replacement carburettor that will work on the bike and then take it down into the woods for a spin lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online