Did i frighten it??...

wild foamy
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone.

got back today and dusted off the XJ, had to jump start it but runs sweet now, drove it around a bit no problem and the clutch seems to have freed off a bit now.

however, i parked it up and there was oil pissing out of one of the drain pipes (its a drain connected to the airbox inbetween the filter and carbs. there also seems to be a creamy white liquid in the airbox (oil+water), what is the cause of this and how can i fix it?

sods law... first i have a bike and no licence, now i have a licence and a broken bike :(

-Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi everyone.

got back today and dusted off the XJ, had to jump start it but runs sweet now, drove it around a bit no problem and the clutch seems to have freed off a bit now.

however, i parked it up and there was oil pissing out of one of the drain pipes (its a drain connected to the airbox inbetween the filter and carbs. there also seems to be a creamy white liquid in the airbox (oil+water), what is the cause of this and how can i fix it?

sods law... first i have a bike and no licence, now i have a licence and a broken bike :(

-Steve

Its a bit premature to worry about the oil/water emulsion, what with all the little pottering abouts you have done and starting it up and dreaming and starting it again and dreaming again and again and again.. :P

You never got it hot and you caused a lot of condensation, so get it ridded properly, check your oil and water before and after when its cool ...ohh and cross your fingers ;)

Aye, foamy, i agree with OG,

You have frightened it, it thinks its goin to sit on the side of the street and never get to see tarmak again.

Bikes dont really like not being used, the older they get the more they need running.

Prob is condinsation, nothing to worry about.

Get using her !!!

okay cheers for the input, im planning to ride it 130 miles back to newbury in a fortnight, have it MOTd and tax it, then leave it at my house so i can just move all my kit in the car when i go from cosford to benson. i just dont want it to piss all its oil away and seize up on the way back. someone suggested to me it could be an oil gallery blockage or something, seeing as the oil coming from the drain is black and oil-coloured

okay cheers for the input, im planning to ride it 130 miles back to newbury in a fortnight, have it MOTd and tax it, then leave it at my house so i can just move all my kit in the car when i go from cosford to benson. i just dont want it to piss all its oil away and seize up on the way back. someone suggested to me it could be an oil gallery blockage or something, seeing as the oil coming from the drain is black and oil-coloured

Check your oil level Steve, go for a ride, Ohh around 5 miles, then ten then 20, keep checking...dont just do 130 miles first ride

It takes 2 pippettes worth of water to turn engine oil into emulsion, drain her, add new filter and oil, while your saving up the cash for this, take all the breather pipes off the box and clean with proprietery 'breather pipe cleaning suds'-parrafin to you and I, check 'Henious manual' for diagram layout, thereafter enjoy a most pleasing proliferation of make benefit long time Johnny :)

filter was ordered last night, got a gallon of 5/30w semi synth in the car, will it stop pissing itself after i change the oil and filter?, the oil was last changed a couple of months ago

I would guess one of the breathers or the air filter is saturated/blocked :)

Oh, and 10/40 semi synth is good also

10/4 good buddy :)

oh okay, will pick up some 10/40w after payday, air filter looks fairly new, but im ordering a new one just for the sake of a fiver.

how do i go about clearing the blocked breather and how do i know which one is blocked?

-Steve

Kids eh, you dont hear from or see them for months at a time, then when they need help or a favour :blink:

:lol:

its Foamy thats pissed himself with excitement I think :huh:

Okay peeps I have come to the conclusion that I have overfilled it with oil, as some bright spark sprayed over the sightglass when spraying the covers

now, when I try and drain the oil through the torx headed plugs directly below the cylinder head on each side of the crankcase there us a very small amount of oil coming out, after turning over the engine and the process repeated then again only a small amount of oil cones out... Am I doing something wrong here?

not that i can see

I dont 'know' the bike but usually the oil drain plug is low down, either underneath or at the bottom of the clutch case. How come you overfilled it? couldnt you have cleaned up the glass when you did this?

You should get a manual anyway now ;)