'78 DT125 / 175 - Spot the Differences!?!

This post is 4385 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

STOLEN

Registration NUY640P,

Colour Yellow, taken sometime Saturday 21st April, Nuneaton, Warwickshire UK.

imag2608.jpg

imag2604.jpg

If any-one knows of its whereabouts or has other information pertaining to it's theft, please contact Warwickshire Police: http://www.warwicksh...i/Crimestoppers

9-months of blood, sweat & tears went into 'saving' this bike from the ignomy of being a field-bike, and represented the hopes of a summers riding. And I DIDN'T even get to ride the bludy thing thanks to some low life skum.

imag2603.jpg

I had been a very happy chappy, full of anticipation at enjoying the fruits of my labours.

A second machine was stolen from my home this evening. (23 April 2012) My house viloated, breaking in to steal keys for that machine, a Dark-Purple (Black) 1985 Honda CB125 Super-Dream, Registration number C978JWE, and to all the locks for my other bikes.

100_0626.jpg

again, If any-one knows of its whereabouts or has other information pertaining to it's theft, please contact Warwickshire Police:http://www.warwicksh...i/Crimestoppers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the YOC Mike, where are you by the way?

That bike to me looks to have the 'wrong' front end on it. Wheel. mudguard, forks and even speedo are all wrong and from another bike.

The pics of the 125 and 175? they are virtually the same bike with no difference cosmetically or with running gear.

As for the flat side panel. thats just a very early one from the first of the MX's (one year only)

Engine and frame numbers should match and will tell the tale as to the origin of the bike ;)

...Paul

The suspention on the 125 and the 175 is the same. Many were lifted with a kit that was (still is) available that would lift the bike around 25MM without loss of travel. I have the very thing on mine, came with it i might add.

The blue 175 has the wrong front pipe that is most likely a gianelli expansion chamber. I have one on mine, good ones are rare the yellow 125 has the std unit. If they differ betwween the 125/75 its only on the inside.

The bottom end is identical bar the clutch which is a couple of plates down, the earlier bikes had a (paul will agree on this) monsterously restrictive airfilter set up that was thankfully massively revised from 80 onwards. That had the airfilter swapping sides with the oil tank.

The biggest diference is really the ignition as these may be points or CDI depending on year, there is also 2 options for the cdi but they are hardly visual.

To know for certain we need the engine/chassis number. Both if their different.

This should help for now

DT125MX production code 4J3 ,engine/chassis number 2A8-100101 onwards. june 79 to april 82

DT175MX production code 2K4 ,engine/chassis number 2K4-000101 onwards. feb 78 into 79

DT175MX production code 2X2 ,engine/chassis number 2K4-010101 onwards. during 79 only

DT175MX production code 4J4 ,engine/chassis number 2K4-020101 onwards. 79/80 to feb 85 , this model had the square section sw arm.(Which requires a diferent rear shock).

As a final point i agree with OG that front end is wrong, from the bars to the front wheel, including the instruments. Looks like an earlier front end from a twinshock if i had to say.

Post Temporarily Removed - I dont feel like 'Sharing' with the world at the moment!

UK, Nr Coventry... slap-bang in the middle of teh country

Mudguard isn't original... there's three layers of paint on it! I think its a generic after-market replacement, but not scratched too deep yet. Rest of body-work seems pretty much as per, though. Speedo is a DT one, but its been re-mounted, tacho has gone AWOL. Hubs DONT look quite right, compared to the curve side-panel bikes, but I dont know... this has the flat side-panels, could these be correct for a vry early model, or could they have been taken of an earlier T-shock.

Your sort of suggesting that the bikes been front-ended, and rebuilt with available parts..... entirely possible.... like I said, its a bit of a mongrel! Question IS whats what! If its not DT, what IS it? If it IS DT, what model year / capacity does it belong to?

May just be me, but as I view the pics, the 175 sits higher. The exhaust is clearly visible above the wheel, where on the 125 its onscured by the tyre; theres less day-light between mud-guard & tyre on the 125, and the swing arm angle seems 'flatter' on the 125. Side-stand lengths look different too..... hard to tell.... but thats how it LOOKS.

OK, so the side panels could still be 175 or 125, but we can nail THEM down to a 78 model....

Yeah... Well, the numbers match; AT2-111-XXX* Same number on head-stock and 125 motor case, and they are both whats on the V5.

Post on HERE offers a list of early Yam dirt serialsiations; THAT particular AT2 pre-fix though is NOT in the listing, and I cant find an-where else to check it against at the mo-tho.

But its accademic, really, only tells me what the bike was made as; dont tell me what bits its got now, which is what I'm trying to figure out.

Well you asked for DT Dr's and for the 175 you are currently contradicting them.

YOUR BIKE IS, for starters in need of a lot of work. The motor IS from appearances an MX motor the 125/175 are visually identical but the later cases and top end will go on an earlier engine.

The front end is twin shock complete including the clock hense no taco, year impossible to pin from the photo but from the frame number 75ish at a guess.

My shot with the info at hand is either somebody had a 125 mx and smashed it and fixed it up with a twinshock, or someone has upgraded a twinshock with a busted up MX and swapped the numbers. AT2 prefix is for a DT125 made between 73 and 75.

The list you have quoted is for US bikes. As for the sidepanels. Personally i'd say they were scrapers fixed up as they don't look like they reach the bottom fixings properly which factory items would.

You mentioned the ride height in the photos, like cynic said the blue one has a jack up kit, the front can be balanced up a bit because the stancheons go through the top yoke by 20mm or so, they even made extensions to screw into the top of the fork tube (aftermarket)

Also like cynic said the blue bike has an after market exhaust on it but the yellow bike is stock like yours

.......... Speedo is a DT one, but its been re-mounted, tacho has gone AWOL. Hubs DONT look quite right, compared to the curve side-panel bikes, but I dont know... this has the flat side-panels, could these be correct for a vry early model, or could they have been taken of an earlier T-shock.

Your sort of suggesting that the bikes been front-ended, and rebuilt with available parts..... entirely possible.... like I said, its a bit of a mongrel! Question IS whats what! If its not DT, what IS it? If it IS DT, what model year / capacity does it belong to?

May just be me, but as I view the pics, the 175 sits higher. The exhaust is clearly visible above the wheel, where on the 125 its onscured by the tyre; theres less day-light between mud-guard & tyre on the 125, and the swing arm angle seems 'flatter' on the 125. Side-stand lengths look different too..... hard to tell.... but thats how it LOOKS.

OK, so the side panels could still be 175 or 125, but we can nail THEM down to a 78 model....

Yeah... Well, the numbers match; AT2-111-XXX* Same number on head-stock and 125 motor case, and they are both whats on the V5.

The side panels are correct for a 78 bike, I think you have most of a us import 78 DT125E, with an older DT front end on it

Post Temporarily Removed - I dont feel like 'Sharing' with the world at the moment!

Have you got a photo of the 125 engine, how complete is it, clutch cover and oil pump cover dont really look like the mx version. Also on an MX the generator cover and oil pup cover are plastic moulded.

Did you post the engine number of the MX engine?

Clearly it is an MX frame etc so I take back about the import and would go more with the idea that it has had some remarkably good number changing

Frame number is always on the head stock

DT125E would be the first of the MX types over the pond, although people call older ones DT125E simply because they were badged 'Enduro'

You may find the 'Parts manuals for yamaha bikes' useful in the workshop forum, have a look at the DT's there and dowload anything you find useful for free.

The motor in the back ground is a twin shock motor all right. You have the mx motor in, was common back in the day for cases to be sold without numbers and you stamped your ones in. Dealers did the same with the frames till they started factory stamping everything to stop ringers.

I think you have....

one of these

And one of these

One is a real early MX the other a very late Twinshock, yanky one though with the electric start.

• 1 year later...

Hey mike " i"v missed this thread,,, one of the most interesting this year,,, well done,,, :thumb: & the muffler is correct, bar thatsmall pipe added on at the back,

Any-one any idea what viscocity ought to be in the gear-box? ...................

Neo sent me OldGits scan of Motor-Cycle-Mechanics 1978 review of the bike; Nice, read, many thanks. But got me worried..... says, that the bike has CDi ignition.... mine definitely has points... behind plastic covers, 'new' on the 78 model... and that the upper fork yoke is aluminium... Hmmm well, the pic of my yoke about to go for blast and coating is shows surface rust.... sure only ferrouse metals go that colour!

to start bolting stuff back together!

I use motul transoil in my gearbox these days but pretty much you could use anything (not car specific)

top yoke is aluminium always was...must be the mongrel forks you have fitted

175's were all CDI but early 125's had points, perhaps yours is a 125 bottom end (engine#) 2A8 or the CDI packed in and someone adapted it

Nice work so far on the project Mike, good to see your description of how you overcome any problems too, instead of just bolting stuff on your bike and shoving a pic of it on your thread, jigsaw fashion, although I do suggest starting a new thread on the projects bit, as theres a few people in here, looking for inspiration for their own projects, go there for much needed info on how to do stuff.Keep up the good work, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day. ;)

Nev

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online