Ape Hangers

christofeser
This post is 5006 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anyone contemplated fitting them to a draggy?

I would like to, just seems complicated a little getting all the cables a little longer???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not really my thing.

Doesn't seem complicated, really.

Yes, you will need longer cables for everything, but that's about it. Otherwise, fit as per normal bars.

why not just use the original ones and just bend them in slightly? if you loosen up the clamp you can put them bolt upright, dont look too bad either, then you could heat up the bend and bring them closer together by about 5mm. :D thats what id do / will do :D

but then again im seriously thinking of putting drag bars on mine :D oh and either taskmaster or o.g suggested raising the frame to make it look like a street fighter a while back and to be honest it looks mint! also if i do the rear fender right all id have to do is swap the rear suspension to make it look bobber again :D il have to post a pic. only problem is id have to cut a part of the swing arm to get the angle that i want. soz christoffeser for wittering on lol

Ah I am thinking maybe Z-Bars now...

I really want to lower my bike though... it sits too - hmm -flat??

That just a case of changing the shocks??? Any measurements for them, or idea where to get some?

Lower??!!

You can't really get much lower. It's a Cruiser.

You can cut some of the seat out and maybe drop the rear shock a touch, but that's about it.

Paul - Rotating the existing bars up won't make them much like Ape Hangers:

gus_angier.jpg

Okay so perhaps not lower - maybe more - laid back??? Sitting back a touch - you know..

So firstly some more laid back bars... perhaps, and then mount some universal pegs onto the engine guards to move my feet forward... maybe.

WHo knows? not me.. that's for sure :)

if you want a lower ride then get rid of the seat for a thinner one ( or make one ) this will make the rider lower by about 2-3 inches, as to lowering the frame, you would need a new rear fender (or if you feel brave chop the old one) to give you the clearance, then you need some 230mm shocks, this wil lower the ride height quite a bit but wont compromise on safety,

as to the ape hangers i know what you mean, they are huge compared to the originals. but the original bars give a good look for a little price :D

im not keen on the ape hanger look (its just not for me) dont fancy a bee hitting me in the arm-pit while im doing 60mph :blink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chopper-Seat-bobber-hardtail-sprung-seat-/280548127717?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts#ht_500wt_1154

SO I could fit this... although I now have the problem of what to do with the rear seat... The shiny bits on the fender are the ones for the sissy bar and therefore point upwards at the rear... moreover - the bolts holding them onto the fender have been rounded.

Anyone got the ones for no sissybar - and might want to swap it for the alternate ones?? Otherwise I'll have to find a new set (or - as suggested - chop the fender).

Paul, aren't you rather handy at making rear fenders for this bike? :P I shall pay for your services :)

Chris

could do but its easier to get a rear fender and chop it (buy one 2nd hand off ebay) the fiberglass alone costs about 20 quid then there is the sand paper and the paint then whatever i decide my time is worth lol so i think the cheapest option would be to get hold of a fender then i could cut and shape it to what you want , also the paint would match :D i could make you a close fit seat, but it would be a hard seat as i dont know where i can get the padding from , not sure how much i would charge for a seat probs £30 - £40 for a hard seat with a decent decorative paintjob, but the fitting would be slightly different but i could include instructions :D ....yeah id defenatly be interested.

Okay so here's what I want:

1) a smaller seat, Paul how much dya want for a sexy looking one? :)

2) a close fit rear fender. How hard is it to mount? Will I have to chop the original fender mounts off? :o

3) Ape Hangers... anyone knows a garage that will fit these for me? I don't want to be messing round with wires etc... - or is it quite easy??

Furthermore - will this all decrease the value of the bike???

I mean - I'm looking to do my test soon... and move on to a 650 hopefully...

Okay so here's what I want:

1) a smaller seat, Paul how much dya want for a sexy looking one? :)

2) a close fit rear fender. How hard is it to mount? Will I have to chop the original fender mounts off? :o

3) Ape Hangers... anyone knows a garage that will fit these for me? I don't want to be messing round with wires etc... - or is it quite easy??

Furthermore - will this all decrease the value of the bike???

I mean - I'm looking to do my test soon... and move on to a 650 hopefully...

1a. tell me what you want and il price it up for you but say £30 for now not including p+p

2a. its up to you could use original fender mounts but iv chopped mine off so iv got nothing to mould it from/ compare it to , but if you want one like mine then you dont need the mounts and id have to come up with a way to mount it (havent figured it out yet)

3a. havent got a clue! (but id do it myself lol)

4a. might do might not (not sure on that one)

I dont know how to re-wire it or make the cables longer for the hangers. I'm not actualy sure how much longer it would need to be?? I don't want them TOO high...

I'll have a look round for seats - will it be like the classic sprung one??

I think it would keep the value the same - maybe. If not more.

i dont know about ape hangers so cant comment but you should be able to get another inch or two out of the wiering and cables if you un-wrap them from the yoke.

i cant do a sprung seat unless you buy the springs but i was thinking along the lines of a small flat low profile fiberglass seat in black with some sort of tribal graphic (or a name or anything!) (i can mould it off my frame) or if you wanted the pimped factor i could put L,E,D lights in it (make it like a secondary stop light?) or if you show me a picture or drawing i could mould one from that, if you wanted padding then id have to price up the foam and leather to put on it, could even make the fender and seat 1 piece so the seat flows into a rear fender. so i say £30 but it all depends what you want, could be less or more

I would really like a sprung seat on it.

My next problem is the fender... it would look fine with the normal one on - just without the rear seat & sissybar... However I have the gay silver bits that point up FOR the sissy bar.

So I could but a new fender - but to mount it I would need to chop the original mounts... which I probably dont want to do...

I could always just remove the gay silver bits altogether??? But I'm not sure how that'd look...

im assuming you dont have the original chrome plates that go on? and no not the best idea to chop off the fender mount unless your doing something like what i am. hava a look on ebay for the chrome plates never know might get lucky........if you cant find any then i might be able to help as iv got a set, but i need them to mould the rear fender round them and im not too sure when im going to get round to doing it, but should get away with not putting it on. just a note when i took mine off the bolts had seized so i ended up having to cut the heads off (to take the fender off) then try to get hold of the bolt in such a way i could apply enough force to undo them (took about 30 min to get each bolt out!) so just to let you know you might need some new fender bolts.

I would really like a sprung seat on it.

then id sugest buying one as it will be cheeper B)

Mine have seized and consequentially rounded - probably due to the F**cker who owned it before me trying to get them out...

But yeah fender bolts are fine.

What sort of seat dyu mean though? Will it be easy enough to mount, and won't it be REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE without padding or spring? Perhaps thats a feel I might like... who know's until I've tried it :)

Yeah the chromey bits are around £40 squids on ebay - a price I could do without paying at this minute... I could go without them for a while I guess... may look silly - I just don't have the dosh though... Saying that - it might look all right after all... hmm ;)

As for the seat - if it's nice I'll probably want a tribal design on it - how would that be done??

CHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHERRRRS

chris

the seat that i would want to make, would be a small, low profile seat that is also a rear fender, it would be black with a white trim. probably have some form of gel padding probably a pushbike saddle flattened and fiberglassed on, then it would have a set of ultra bright red L,E,D's for a secondary tail light fiberglassed into the back-rest (with a rear light setup moulded into the fender above the wheel) then some form of tribal "tattoo" design in white (painted on), or in my case the red and white racing stripe. B)

well thats the kind of seat that i would build for my bike, but if i had the original rear fender (i choped mine ....doh!) then i could mould it round that, so you wouldnt need to chop anything. as to cost it would only cost me what id pay for materials but if i wanted to sell it then id have to think how much id want for the work involved, il work it out

£20 for fiberglass, and tape, and sand paper

£20 for paint, primer, under coat, top coat, clear coat

£20 for gel seat (could get one cheaper havent looked)

£40 for all lights and weiring (nice looking light though!)

total = £90 to £100 just for the bits, then id have to make it, probs take about a week to finish so say 2 hours a day for 7 days = 14hours say £3 an hour = 42 (call it 40)

grand total = £130 to £140 then there is p+p (havent got a clue how much that would cost say £10??)

thats the problem its gonna cost a bomb for one id want to build, but thats mainly cause of the new rear light, could cut 20 to 40 quid off if i could find a cheaper one. so yeah thats roughly what im looking at to make one like i said. and i will make one soon for mine, just got to raise some funds :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online