xs400 high idle after SeaFoam

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5013 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I know this is a repeat of previous threads... but not sure if my problem is different so thought I'd post...

My bike has been riding great past 2 weeks... Couple days ago, I put 3oz of SeaFoam to my tank which had 3 gallons of gas probably and road around probably .5 gallons fine...

I accidentally left my manual petcock on overnight. Garage might have smelled a bit gassy yesterday, but no gas leaked out of airbox which was my main concern. Had alot of trouble starting bike so i initially thought it was too much gas getting passed floats and leaking somewhere bad ...

Tried starting many times to no avail ... checked plugs. maybe one was a bit wet/gassy ... I cleared it up. Then tested the sparkplugs grounded against engine, they were firing ...

I noticed if i gave it a little gas, it would start... but could't hold it. it would just cut out unlesss I lightly gave it some throttle... With no throttle, instead of usual 1200rpms, it was at 800rpms hence why it probably cut off... I raised the throttle stop today, and I thought it helped as the bike would not cut out at idle ... but noticed at redlights, the idle would stick high around 3000rpms and not come down... Unless i pulled the choke out and pushed it back in quick heh. But high idle would just come back at next redlight.

I'll probably mess with the idle mixture and throttle stop later today. Just thought I'd ask...

I dunno maybe my previous tuning was for an engine without cleared valves? (assuming SeaFoam musta cleaned something up hehe), and not a cleaned up engine lol...

or maybe the SeaFoam is making the fuel/air mixture different (maybe more or less enriched) and maybe need to temporary set idle-mixture differently.

-Arian

EDIT: seemed to be alright riding it around during lunch, had to set the idle-stop lower to where it was before so rpms went back down to 1.2rpms ... Hoping it doesn't get into that 'i dont want to start without throttle' mode again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online