'shared' exhaust

armyofda12mnkeys
This post is 5016 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was curious. I had an old non-stock 2-1 exhaust on my bike when I bought it. Im going to convert back to 2-2...

I already bought some nice mufflers and then asked around for some headers...

Got a nice 81 exhaust almost free from someone. Not sure if its stock... The mufflers seemed to be welded on the headers ... Will get a local shop to nicely cut 'em off.

My question is... it looks like the exhaust has a pipe underneath that connects them both to each other... What is the purpose of this?

Can i just get away with putting on my mufflers onto the headers and not doing a shared exhaust system?

Thanks!,

Arian

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was curious. I had an old non-stock 2-1 exhaust on my bike when I bought it. Im going to convert back to 2-2...

I already bought some nice mufflers and then asked around for some headers...

Got a nice 81 exhaust almost free from someone. Not sure if its stock... The mufflers seemed to be welded on the headers ... Will get a local shop to nicely cut 'em off.

My question is... it looks like the exhaust has a pipe underneath that connects them both to each other... What is the purpose of this?

Can i just get away with putting on my mufflers onto the headers and not doing a shared exhaust system?

Thanks!,

Arian

The crossover pipe is to balance out exhaust pressure between the 2 cylinders. It's not 100% necessary, but may run better with it.

I have to ask... What are you gonna do with the 2-1 setup you had? I have been looking for 1 for my wife.

The crossover pipe is to balance out exhaust pressure between the 2 cylinders. It's not 100% necessary, but may run better with it.

I have to ask... What are you gonna do with the 2-1 setup you had? I have been looking for 1 for my wife.

Hmmm, sorry I think I'm going to keep it to swap looks occasionally. I think it may just be an old Mac 2-1 exhaust though easy to find on ebay.

Here is a nice looking one that Im not sure is Mac... (People say the Mac pipes are awful anyway)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Yamaha-XS400-XS-Chrome-2-into-1-Compete-Exhaust-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ120602251918QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online