Dutch XS400 2A2 Caferacer

Hornix
This post is 4493 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello from the Netherlands. I thought, let's go international today B)

I recently finished (euh finished?? caferacers are never finished) my 1977 Xs400 caferacer. I started with just a frame and rebuild the bike till what you see on my "garage pictures". If you are interested in the rebuilding foto's, just go to this Dutch website for the report:

http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/242933/0/0/hornix

The frame and swingarm are powdercoated. It has a double disc conversion in front with steel braided lines and a yamaha R6 master brake cylinder. K&N like pods with adjusted jetting. Larger BMW Boge shocks. Clipons and Raask rearsets. And a cafeseat.

The bike turns out to be a reliable friend and it's fun to ride it. Meanwhile I started to cafe a SR500. yamaha rocks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice build you've done there Hornix, a lot of nice detail, welcome to the Forum

ps is that girl in your avatar learning to spoke Dutch?

Nice build you've done there Hornix, a lot of nice detail, welcome to the Forum

ps is that girl in your avatar learning to spoke Dutch?

I think the girl in the avatar is a future mother inlaw :unsure:

Thanx for the compliments, and it's nice to see that the XS(400) is much appreciated here.

What will complete my bike is a set of spoke wheels. Ik like them a lot, allthough the current wheels are in perfect shape after all those years. And the design gets a revival in the Bonneville SE:

http://triumphmotorcycles.nl/nl/motoren/motorfietsen-2009/bonneville-se/algemeen/

:D

So, I'm standing in line for a set of XS250 hubs!

wowie nice rebuild!

Here is google's translation of the rebuild if anyone wants to follow along his work (re-looking at the webpage ... doesnt show the pics btw, darn moto-forums.nl website must be past their bandwidth):

Dutch to English translation

First small question:

just curious are those MikesXS fork gaiters?

some peeps told me the 650 forks are bigger so they wont fit.

I have an xs400 myself...

Do you know if the 77' tank fits an XS650?

i have a 78 xs400 that has a fiberglass tank that is made for xs650 tank mounts (rewelded front mounts). so if it fits an xs650, it'll fit mine lol.

wowie nice rebuild!

Here is google's translation of the rebuild if anyone wants to follow along his work (re-looking at the webpage ... doesnt show the pics btw, darn moto-forums.nl website must be past their bandwidth):

Dutch to English translation

First small question:

just curious are those MikesXS fork gaiters?

some peeps told me the 650 forks are bigger so they wont fit.

I have an xs400 myself...

Do you know if the 77' tank fits an XS650?

i have a 78 xs400 that has a fiberglass tank that is made for xs650 tank mounts (rewelded front mounts). so if it fits an xs650, it'll fit mine lol.

The first sentence of the translation is a great one:

"I have to satisfy a '77 Yamaha XS400-2A2" please don't tell my wife or she won't trust me anymore when I go to the motorshed :lol:

I bought the gaiters at rocketmotorcycleparts.com

The were actually too long, so I cutted a piece of the bottemside. But i have a better set already in stock. Look at Kedo.com for SR500 gaiters. The are a little too big at the top but you can put a tierap on it. Because of the lower triple tree you won't see it. but the lower parts fits like a glove. And they have already small air holes in them. Here they are:

http://www.kedo.com/ssl/php/function/ShowPDF.php?f_file=%2Fhomepages%2F9%2Fd137491271%2Fhtdocs%2Fcom%2Fssl%2Fgrafic%2Fpdf%2FKatalog%2FSeite%2F208.pdf

About the tank: I'm not sure it will fit. The XS400 hase those rubber round thingies pushed on the tank, and for instance my SR500 has those thingies on the frame. Don't know how it works with the 650 :(

I'm still trying to get some extra HP out of the bike since it isn't very willing to go over 120km/h.

So I opened the carbs again to put the jetneedles a bit higher. Then it occured to me that de sequence of needle/spring/washer/clip is not the same as my Haynes manual says. I made a picture and sorry for that, but I can't get it in this post so I put the picture in my "garage". The needle on the left is like Haynes, on the right it is like on my bike. Anyone with the right sequence?? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Job is done. I replaced the (suspected for leaking) carb diaphragms (aftermarked from ebay.com), put the needles in in the right sequence (yellow plastic thingie beneath the circlip), 1 step bigger pilot jets and also bigger main jets. Took it out for a ride this afternoon. What a blast! The engine feels really smooth and strong. It pics up from idle speed without hasitation or stutter. No dead spots while revving and it goes straight into the red area :D

Checked the sparkplugs at home and they look like they should be: coffee with a little cream.

Think I earned a beer B)

well done, good feeling when it goes to plan

to post a pikkie you need photobucket (free!) and paste the [img.]my picture location [/img.] tags in your text line and the html will insert the picture.

its really a copy and paste from photobucket

drewps

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'll give it a try :unsure:

DSCN2867Large.jpg

I mounted the shocks from my SR500 for a test. They give much more comfort than the Boge BMW shocks (that's not rocketscience :P ). Now Í'm able to skip some cafe's during a ride.

The only two things that would look good on my grasshopper (nickname my neighbour gave to the XS) is a spoke wheel in the front...and a spoke wheel in the back. So, if you're willing to sell them..let me know :)

Are those Raask rear-sets for a XS650, or? Where did you order them from? Were they a direct fit?

Thanks!

It's a XS250/260/400 set and a direct fit. Mr Raask still mades them.

fy10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question voor the technicians here. Since I have those Raask rear sets I can't use the kickstart any longer. Not a problem for me, the electric start works fine. Also the kickstart is not to be trusted, I think the spring is broken. With the lever mounted , it won't go back to the "rest-position". So I took the lever of. Now I have a spare clutch cover so I was wondering if it is possible to just completely lose the whole kickstart assembly and just close the hole in the cover by wellding (how's my spelling) or plugging it.

Main question: is the kickstart shaft a stand-alone thing or does the engine need it to operate other ehmmm processes :rolleyes:

I have a question voor the technicians here. Since I have those Raask rear sets I can't use the kickstart any longer. Not a problem for me, the electric start works fine. Also the kickstart is not to be trusted, I think the spring is broken. With the lever mounted , it won't go back to the "rest-position". So I took the lever of. Now I have a spare clutch cover so I was wondering if it is possible to just completely lose the whole kickstart assembly and just close the hole in the cover by wellding (how's my spelling) or plugging it.

Main question: is the kickstart shaft a stand-alone thing or does the engine need it to operate other ehmmm processes :rolleyes:

you'll be ok to take out the kick shaft, it should just pull out when you have the cover off!, why not put an oil temp gauge in there using a 45' elbow?

• 2 weeks later...

Thát's great guys.

In the future I can post in Dutch since you all can read it :lol:

what about double dutch, only certain peeps understand it...blackhat et al :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online