Clutch sticking

wild foamy
This post is 5153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps, been away for a while but now returning to the world of bikes (hopefully!)

bought myself an '89 XJ600 back in february some time with the intention of taking my test in the summer and riding it from wolverhampton to Newbury at the weekends, but i screwed up on my mod 2 o currently dont have a full licence.

have noticed that the clutch is sticking now, when the bike is in neutral with the clutch in and i put it into first the back wheel will rotate, sometimes if i jab the back brake it will free up the clutch and stop spinning, but what is causing it and how do i fix it?

if it makes a difference i changed the oil and there was only about half a litre in it, it has now been replenished to the correct 2.2L but the problem persists

any input appreciated

Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its just a little drag Stevie and nothing to worry about, mines does it, welcome back BTW :)

Hi bud its good to be back, im dying to get on this bike, ive had it going around camp a few times and out along the backroads behind the base and i want to give it a goooood thrash to clear away the cobwebs

As long as you dont feel it pull when your sitting on it and a gentle squeeze with the brake is enough to stop it turning then its fine, and it is good to give it a hurl around often to keep it healthy-battery included, and more importantly to get the feel of the weight, slow manoevres are also a great and often overlooked skill to learn on a big bike, so, have you shot anyone yet? :huh:

Only shot people with blanks, im still in training but only have 4 weeks left! ^^, im moving to RAF after my trainingn so need to think about getting it moved, its more a case of rev the bike up (clutch in, wheel still turning) and jab the brake as hard as i can, which i know it shouldnt be doing cus it wasnt doing it when i first got it, i dont think...

clutches do that when they have been standing, the plates stick together, i would not worry as long as you can stop the back wheel, if it jams on and you cannot get it too release at all then start it get it rolling crash into 1st then ride along with the clutch in stabbin the rear brake on and off, that should clear it,

merv

thinkng about this again you say it did not have enough oil in it, the clutch plates could have been dry, now there is oil between em there will be a bit of drag

Hi Foamy, one other thing you can do is when the engine is switched off, undo the oil filler cap ond look in, you can see the clutch plates, with a small flat bladed screwdriver gently seperate the clutch plates. My problem was very simular to yours so I did this until I replaced the plates and it worked a treat.

Don't forget to replace filler cap though.

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Foamy, one other thing you can do is when the engine is switched off, undo the oil filler cap ond look in, you can see the clutch plates, with a small flat bladed screwdriver gently seperate the clutch plates. My problem was very simular to yours so I did this until I replaced the plates and it worked a treat.

Don't forget to replace filler cap though.

Hope this helps

Mike

Good idea but could be more effective with the clutch lever pulled and tied to the handlebar as you do this.

Good idea but could be more effective with the clutch lever pulled and tied to the handlebar as you do this.

Correct Paul, I omitted that bit. What I did was stand on left side of bike, hold in clutch lever and lean over the seat to do it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online