xvs 125 bobber project update

Paulwhite
This post is 4955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a looker. I really like the tank and the choice in shocks.

soz but im not going to use them shocks as there too long and yellow lol im planning on getting some shorter ones in either black, white or red, (prefer white :D ) and the tank needs re-doing as im not happy with the racing stripes (need to be thinner ) but the idea is put the stripes down the whole bike so as they are, they would swamp the rear fender so thinner ones would look better :D

and christofeser yes.....yes i am B)

I'm still trying to work out what's going on with that fender mount :P

There's like one that looks tied onto some struts - is that a cut-down original one? And another that's resting on the rear wheel - the fiberglass one??

How hard was it to make that seat??? I love the look of it - and when I FINALLY decide to chop mine I'll probably use a springer... Also, it's not really hard to change the shocks is it? Is it more a case of finding them?

COULD you go full-bob, and just remove the shocks and replace them with a bit of metal??? That would look nice, but shocks are still good...

What ya got planned for the pipes?

the fender is 2 pieces its the fiberglass one on the bottom and the original fender(cut down) on top with the chrome bits off the rear fender on the sides, its just stuck on with tape to see what the lines are like but im debating if iv got the skills to turn it into a little compartment for some gloves or somethin, the idea is fiberglass the bottom fender to the top so that its one piece with the rear light sticking out of the gap between the two then run a couple of thin metal bars inside the fender from the frame to support it ,

the Fiberglas seat wasnt hard to make i used the metal off the side of a computer case to cut and shape a template then covered it in decorating tape (like masking tape but has a waxed surface on the non sticky side) then fiberglassed it and trimmed it with a grinder (with a cutting disk on it) the hardest part was finding and attaching the springs :blink: probs best buying those.

i could go full bob but the roads are shocking down my way so itl be allot better for my spine if i put shocks on it :D its just a case of finding some 230mm long shocks with 16mm bolt holes :blink: which are proving hard to find but i have found some 230mm shocks but i will need to modify the bolt holes as there only 10mm so should b a case of boar it out and put new bushes in.

for the pipes im going to have them custom made so they split into 2 exits 1 exit either side of the bike running along the frame and a shield kinda like what you see on kit cars :) a full exhaust system for the engine im getting is only £30 so il get 2 and get someone to sort it for me :) there is a little place down my way that do engineering and fabricating so il give them a bell B)

ah indeed it's not the stock V-twin so you cant have two exhaust exits.

I was thinking about having one each side when I chop mine. I.e. one of the pipes coming down the left and and then one of them coming down the right - oh and then upturning and going/pointing at the rear of the bike - get me?

But that's all a "pipe dream" at the moment :P - but wow £30 for the exhaust system!

REALLY good idea about the 2 fenders though - nice one.

Chris

soz but im not going to use them shocks as there too long and yellow lol im planning on getting some shorter ones in either black, white or red, (prefer white :D ) and the tank needs re-doing as im not happy with the racing stripes (need to be thinner ) but the idea is put the stripes down the whole bike so as they are, they would swamp the rear fender so thinner ones would look better :D

and christofeser yes.....yes i am B)

I think the stripes work really well with the width of the tank, but I can see where you're coming from.

I think the stripes work really well with the width of the tank, but I can see where you're coming from.

yeah i wasnt too sure about the stripes at 1st so decided to do a mock up and they look quite good but the quality of the paint job is shocking by my standards as the paint bubbled up and creased in a couple of places so im going to have to re-do the whole tank

:( but yeah when iv sorted it il post some more pictures up but im going to start work on the fender to get that sorted 1st b4 i attempt to do the tank so give me a few weeks :D

• 4 weeks later...

yeah i wasnt too sure about the stripes at 1st so decided to do a mock up and they look quite good but the quality of the paint job is shocking by my standards as the paint bubbled up and creased in a couple of places so im going to have to re-do the whole tank

:( but yeah when iv sorted it il post some more pictures up but im going to start work on the fender to get that sorted 1st b4 i attempt to do the tank so give me a few weeks :D

mine is similar to yours (i bought it like that) mine uses sach xtc shocks i think they are shorter

and how much did you pay for it? (thinking of selling mine eventually)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hows the bobber going? wish I had the skills to convert my xvs250 into one is there anywhere that you can pay to have this done?

iv not done much to it recently :( iv decided to save up for the engine b4 i spend anymore on the paint and bodywork.

as to somewhere to do it for you, all you really need to know is a good paint shop and probably a bodywork shop, just take the bike to bits, get it prepped for painting then send it off, if you want to do something with the fender then just take it to a bodywork shop get them to cut the mounts off and chop the rear fender so that its shorter and a closer fit, then prep it and send it off to be painted, get it all back, put it back together with some custom bolt on accessories like stainless steal brake lines ect some different handlebars, and a new seat, job done! :D

i make it sound easy but your looking at a good 2-3 months of striping, prepping, waiting, and then putting back together. but if you have a good budget then it dont really matter :D

id love to have the funds to get it done properly e.g having it sand blasted and powder coat everything! but iv got to make do with the funds available. (farther of 2 one more on the way with no income = not good)

• 3 weeks later...

Paul im joining your quest for the 125 draggy bobber,i'm saving up to get it done. as i work long hours,have kids and.................who am i kidding i'd make an arse of it lol.Have been put on to guy in troon ayrshire by the blue angels.His shop called the boneyard incidently he lives in a graveyard you couldn't write this,he fabricates everything from sheet metal in his home garage.Seemingly the hard work is simply removing the hardtail ? although i've noticed that you've changed springs ? is this essential ?

only if you want to lower it, if your not fussed then dont bother swapping the springs or chopping anything :D and its not a hardtail its the fender mount that has been chopped, a hardtail is a solid swingarm (dont move up and down) B) and the hardest part (that im finding) is sortin out an engine to put in it. iv got my hands on a honda cbr 125 2004 engine but am having trouble tryin to get it started at the mo, somethings wrong with the ignition circuit, so just need to get that fixed then i can get it put into the frame :D

oh,.i thought the big framework under the rear guard was a hard tail cool.I'm keepin the xvs motor in ,obviously removing the backend and replacing with close to tyre guard and have 60" hangers.Will post pics when finished.Oh do u know how to post? u guys asked for pics and vids of the highways on my pigglet it asks for a url ?

oh,.i thought the big framework under the rear guard was a hard tail cool.I'm keepin the xvs motor in ,obviously removing the backend and replacing with close to tyre guard and have 60" hangers.Will post pics when finished.Oh do u know how to post? u guys asked for pics and vids of the highways on my pigglet it asks for a url ?

have a look in the help section "Geoff" posted some info there for puttin up pics :D

60 inch hangers? like FIVE FEET high?! Or am I being silly...

I wanna stick some hangers on but cbf with changing all the cables - have you looked into that???

Chris

60 inch hangers? like FIVE FEET high?! Or am I being silly...

I wanna stick some hangers on but cbf with changing all the cables - have you looked into that???

Chris

i havent looked into it no but i quite like the originals B) all you need to do realy is free up the cables (unwrap them from the yoke) and push them forwads a little so that they sit up straight or slightly forward. personaly iv been toying with the idea of drag bars or even clip-ons to give it a streetfighter/ bobber look :D (somethin original)

IT LIVES!!!!! IT FUCKIN LIVES!!!!! FUCKIN BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUTY!!!!

after spendin 4 hours re-wiering the loom the cbr 125 engine LIVES!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

can u tell im chuffed? lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online