INsurance question

cegan09
This post is 5036 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm trying to set up insurance, and no one seems to believe that yamaha made a 500 in 1976. Has anyone else encountered this? Their systems just don't have a 500 in them. I can just tell them screw it and make it a 650 or 400, but i don't want that coming back to bite me later. Anyone successfully insure a 500 as a 500?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The answer to your question is: "no, I have not." However on vehicles of the pre-17 digit VIN era (about 1981 or '82), it is not uncommon for a model to not be in the system. If your title lists the model, show them (or scan and e-mail them) that. I think (though not positive) that the tag on the neck should list the VIN, make and engine size. Maybe a picture of that.

In sum, if you have been dealing with computers, get a hold of a person. If you are dealing with a person, send them the things i noted above.

Good luck!!!

I've tried with progressive, Gieco, and I'm insured through Liberty Mutual now. Neither of them have it in their system. Progressive told me my VIN was invalid. I'm hoping the agent can enter it as a 500 manually.

They told you the VIN was invalid because it is not what is now a standard- a 17 digit VIN. You need a person for this.

I have Allstate. At my age and with my record, and for above standard liability and med pay (but no collision), the rate was $106, but because I have 2 real estate policies and multiple cars and a 20+ year history with Allstate, I got it discounted down to $75...but I went through my local agent.

weird I did it all online via Gieco's website.. never talked to a person.

My vin # is 8 digits as well.. and like I said it asked me to manually put everything in.. no drop down boxes for.

it was 132 for a year for me... and Im a first year rider.. never and still don't have my motorcycle license (only permit).

I'm trying to set up insurance, and no one seems to believe that yamaha made a 500 in 1976. Has anyone else encountered this? Their systems just don't have a 500 in them. I can just tell them screw it and make it a 650 or 400, but i don't want that coming back to bite me later. Anyone successfully insure a 500 as a 500?

I tried insuring my 1974 TX500 with Progressive thru local agent and they a TX500 wasn't listed...but a XT500 was (for 1974)! I figured there was a typo error in Progressive's information, so let it be insured as a XT500. The insurance covers liability mostly, not the value of the bike.

this whole old vehicle thing is such a learning process. Chatted with my agent today. It's being entered as a 650, then paperwork to correct it. Works for me. I just think it's funny that no one things there is an XS500 in 1976.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online