DT125 PV Pulley

This post is 5184 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys

I recently bought a 1998 DT, but giving it a good once over i've noticed that the powervalve pulley has been broken (The small diamond shaped piece has completely snapped)

and this is causing it to slip when it opens.

Just wondering if there's anywhere i could get a replacement? Pattern part or a used part is fine, just want to get the thing running well.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I reckon THIS is the part you need it will most likely still be available from your local yamaha dealer, phone them and ask have the frame /engine number handy when you do they will want it

merv

Confusing post and title. The diamond shape is on the power valve, it is driven by the pulley, have a look in mt de-restricting thread you will see it there.

Yeah, sorry. You are quite right, it's the diamond bit on the valve that sits in the back of the pulley that has broke.

Does this mean replacing the whole valve then? I haven't really taken much of it apart, i just noticed that the diamond shaped bit of aluminum stayed with the pulley when i removed it :/

Yeah, sorry. You are quite right, it's the diamond bit on the valve that sits in the back of the pulley that has broke.

Does this mean replacing the whole valve then? I haven't really taken much of it apart, i just noticed that the diamond shaped bit of aluminum stayed with the pulley when i removed it :/

yes you need a new on, best keep an eye on ebay unless you buy one at great expense from Yamaha. They do two different ones though, one is the diamond shaped one and the other is a rectangle sort of shape with curved sides (like the shape inside the pulley) I assume you could use either but thats just a guess.

yes you need a new on, best keep an eye on ebay unless you buy one at great expense from Yamaha. They do two different ones though, one is the diamond shaped one and the other is a rectangle sort of shape with curved sides (like the shape inside the pulley) I assume you could use either but thats just a guess.

Thanks very much for your help.

Have the power valves changed much over the years? Or could I salvage one from a newer model?

Thanks very much for your help.

Have the power valves changed much over the years? Or could I salvage one from a newer model?

as far as I know the cylinder barrels are the same so either sort should fit. However I cannot state this as fact. Maybe Vez knows?

The only changes i have seen in the PV are in the later models, they are now 1 piece and have a more oval end section instead of a diamond shape ( the TZR had the one piece PV before the DTR and they get swapped about alot when barrels etc are changed). If it was my bike i would go for the older style. Or get one as close to your year as possible.

I'm not 100% sure on what effects the newer shape PV has, but it would probably fit your bike although i can't say for sure it will. I think at the very least you would need a newer pulley to go with a newer PV, but again im speculating.

If you are really struggling to find one, put some pictures up of your PV and i will have a look in my shed to see if i have one.

Vez.

Vez I expect it will be like mine

102_1434.jpg

And I would think the pulley will fit both versions

DeRestrictedPV.jpg

For some strange reason i thought your PV was the same shape as mine on the end :rolleyes:.

Do you know if your PV is a 1 piece or 2?

All i have is the 2 piece versions.

I have grabbed a 2 piece of ebay

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one that's already fitted but i'll take some pics while i've got it apart if you like

Oh, anything else I should do while i'm fitting the PV? Cleaning anything up or checking anything?

Thanks very much for the help guys :)

I have grabbed a 2 piece of ebay

I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one that's already fitted but i'll take some pics while i've got it apart if you like

Oh, anything else I should do while i'm fitting the PV? Cleaning anything up or checking anything?

Thanks very much for the help guys :)

Can't think of anything really, i suppose you may as well clean any carbon from the exhaust port while you can, and have a look to check your piston/rings are looking ok. (presuming you have the exhaust off to align the PV correctly when refitting that is)

Oh and pictures are always good B)

Vez.

Can't think of anything really, i suppose you may as well clean any carbon from the exhaust port while you can, and have a look to check your piston/rings are looking ok. (presuming you have the exhaust off to align the PV correctly when refitting that is)

Oh and pictures are always good B)

Vez.

Yeah, i'll be taking the exhaust off anyways (had a slight spill in the rain yesterday) and it's bent one of the brackets that hold the exhaust on (No other damage i could see from just looking though O.O)

Haa, then i'll take whatever pictures I can :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online