Drive sproket removal

christofeser
This post is 5187 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay the service manual says to remove the drive sprocket on my xvs 125... which I cant seem to do.

Everytime I move the spanner round, the wheels just turn! Is there something I should know? :P

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay the service manual says to remove the drive sprocket on my xvs 125... which I cant seem to do.

Everytime I move the spanner round, the wheels just turn! Is there something I should know? :P

Chris

yeah you need to stop the sprocket from moving lol just get a freind to put the back brake on while you undo what u need to

the F**king sercive manual tells you to remove the break connection and pedal before this!

Dear me is it me, or was that really stupid of them!?

haha cheers

I'll do something about it.

Chris

lol put it in 2nd gear and get ur m8 to sit on it to hold it steady thats assuming the chain is on

ACH I'VE JUST REMOVED THE SHIFTER & CLUTCH.

But, it's still not coming off - I've reattached the break and managed to put it into 1st somehow, and whilst turning it it finally gets to the point where it just spins round with the wheel again...

Is there a way of taking off the chain to avoid this? The new engine I've got to put in has the drive sproket on anyway!?

Chris

ACH I'VE JUST REMOVED THE SHIFTER & CLUTCH.

But, it's still not coming off - I've reattached the break and managed to put it into 1st somehow, and whilst turning it it finally gets to the point where it just spins round with the wheel again...

Is there a way of taking off the chain to avoid this? The new engine I've got to put in has the drive sproket on anyway!?

Chris

What do you want to do?

Is it just the chain ya want off?

Take the engine out.

I can do it with the sprocket still on. So either take the chain off or remove the sprocket.

preferably without breaking the chain :)

or anything else... for that matter :)

chris

Take the engine out.

I can do it with the sprocket still on. So either take the chain off or remove the sprocket.

preferably without breaking the chain :)

or anything else... for that matter :)

chris

Have a look along the outside of the chain-links to see if there is a split-link. If there is pop it off and seperate the chain.

If not, can ya get enough slack in the chain and if ya have room arround the front sproket can ya ease it over the top of it.

If not, ill try help ya take sproket off.

Nah can't see a split link. And no, I've tried getting enough slack - can't do it :(

Thanks

Ok, have ya got a Impact socket/gun?

If ya have the bike in 1st gear and the back brake reconected then.......turn the sproket till it tightens against the weight of the engine, now apply the rear brake good and hard and some how hold it on (put a concret block hanging from it if ya have nobody to hold it on). Now if ya have a impact socket/gun put it on the nut and give it some, if not just put a spanner on it, hold it on good and solid, get a heavy-ish hammer and give the end of the spanner a good old wallup. You will have to try and gerk the nut into mooving rather than just trying to turn it.

See how ya get on .

Remove rear spindle then the back wheel will drop down an forward giving you more slack

Ah that sounds easier merv.

NOPE. Can't turn it even in gear with the brake on...

Don't have a gun. I know someone who might though... although it's at his house and he's at work.

I cant see what you mean, the rear spindle?

NOPE. Can't turn it even in gear with the brake on...

Don't have a gun. I know someone who might though... although it's at his house and he's at work.

I cant see what you mean, the rear spindle?

Have a look at your front sproket, is there enough room between the sproket and the engine caseing for the chain to slip over the sproket, if there is then loosen the back wheel nuts off the (rear spindle). the wheel should move forward enough to give you slack in the chain and if ya have enough room slip it over the front sproket, better still take it off the back sproket first.

If this wont work keep hammering the spanner till it comes loose.

I recall doing this once myself when I had a 125.

I jammed a screwdriver in one of the teeth and braced it, allowing purchase to undo the fastening.

Works when putting the new one on, too.

Choose a screwdriver where the shaft fits nicely between the teeth.

Yay I got it off :)

Now to undo the bolts and take the engine itself off - I thought.

The bolts are like - impossible to get to haha. And done up really tight and cannot be moved with merely my spanner. argh. fml.

I'll keep trying to put my back into it...

if you get a socket set on it and slide a metal pipe over the handle (to make the handle longer) then put ur hand on the end of the metal pipe ul find that its alot easyer to undo realy tight bolts either that or ul take the head off the bolts lol thats what i normaly do when its way too tight to undo it normaly.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online